MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Y. J. Foo

ATC and Bahasa Malaysia

I have a question regarding this topic: if a plane is in Malaysian airspace is this permissible for the crew to use Bahasa Malaysia in lieu of English to exchange information with ATC?

AFAIK, no. IIRC only Russian, French and Spanish may be used apart from English, and even then in certain territories only.

IIRC only Russian, French and Spanish may be used apart from English, and even then in certain territories only

I thought the Chinese had in the past used Chinese on their airspace too? No?

18266[/snapback]

That's why I said IIRC.. tongue.gif laugh.gif

yes..i heard in china, if you can speaks mandarin to atc then you get to push back first... 

lol.....favouritism eh?..... Not sure if TK had tried that when he took 777-2H6/ERs to PVG? laugh.gif laugh.gif

In the early communist era of the 1950s-80s, I guess nobody can give a crap about speaking a foreign language in China. As China was pretty much had her boundary closed. So I assume the same goes for the communication with ATC.

Edited by S V Choong

18266[/snapback]

I believe they are still using Mandarin now.

In China they use English these days, and their standard of English is improving too. BUT, between Chinese ATC and Chinese aircraft, very often Mandarin is used, and for international crew who don't know Mandarin, you won't know if there is an aircraft on your tail or 100 miles away.

A seasoned crew will always try to figure out any traffic in relation to his aircraft, that is like second nature. Hearing someone talking without knowing thei position just add to the stress.

Anyway, in Malaysia BM is not used for ATC, but we do add it sometimes for non critical items such as greetings.

Sign in to follow this