MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Insufficient KL-London Flights By MAS Will Be Raised In Cabinet, Says Azalina

anyway, just a simple question here, among all destinations in Europe, why LONDON?

what about AMS, CDG, and FRA? and not to forget FCO?

May be she goes to London for shopping often ;)

:drinks:

From my point of view, being the FLAGSHIP route, MH is always willing to increase flights to London even if it will be more than 2 times a day (SQ flies to LHR 4 times a day, am I right?) So the issue of 'insufficient' flight was never existed. It's all caused by low/no demand, which caused MH to trim down flight MH 1/4 from daily to 5 weekly at the moment.

It's up to the Datuk Seri Azalina's Ministry, Tourism Malaysia and MH to create the demand.

Btw, love the D7's A343!

Quote "Azalina said this and other shortcomings like expensive airfares had caused Malaysians and Europeans to opt for other airlines."

At least this is true based on my experience.

I have stopped flying MH on the LHR-KUL route. Etihad and Emirates seem to always have much cheaper fares and with Etihad it only adds two hours to the journey. As an example just last month I bought an Etihad return ticket for £426 including all taxes. MH on same dates £860!

MH - Economy class IFE is rubbish compared to most. Emirates is very good and Etihad is the best I have seen.

MH - Economy class catering is awful. Emirates is good and Etihad very good.

MH - Old aircraft with poor interiors. Emirates and Etihad new aircraft - much nicer cabins and quieter.

MH - Why pay more for less?

The only advantage MH has got is its cabin staff.

Geoff

Quote "Azalina said this and other shortcomings like expensive airfares had caused Malaysians and Europeans to opt for other airlines."

At least this is true based on my experience.

I have stopped flying MH on the LHR-KUL route. Etihad and Emirates seem to always have much cheaper fares and with Etihad it only adds two hours to the journey. As an example just last month I bought an Etihad return ticket for £426 including all taxes. MH on same dates £860!

MH - Economy class IFE is rubbish compared to most. Emirates is very good and Etihad is the best I have seen.

MH - Economy class catering is awful. Emirates is good and Etihad very good.

MH - Old aircraft with poor interiors. Emirates and Etihad new aircraft - much nicer cabins and quieter.

MH - Why pay more for less?

The only advantage MH has got is its cabin staff.

Geoff

Agreed with you :good:

:drinks:

spot on geoff..that's why I fly emirates...i don't mind the decrease in seat pitch as long as i have great IFE and good food for half the price.

First and foremost, the onus to grow the market for tourism to Malaysia lies squarely on the shoulder of the Ministry of Tourism and Tourism Malaysia - although the national carrier (Malaysia Airlines) too can play a critical role. If Malaysia Airlines is not getting a good return from operating more services to London, the Ministry and Tourism Malaysia should then learn to work with other airlines which can provide the connectivity to Malaysia - whether these are EK, EY, SQ, CX, TG or others.

The honourable Minister could certainly meet with the management of Malaysia Airlines to better understand the airline's position and perhaps seek ways to weave the marketing budget of the Ministry, Tourism Malaysia and MH to see how this could grow the pie and also encourage MH to add services to London.

Putting pressure on Malaysia Airlines by flexing political muscle has proven to be counter-productive . . . not in the best of times and certainly not now when even the best managed airlines are trimming profits and in some cases, even reporting losses. MH's previous experience of bowing to pressure to provide non-stop services between London and Penang/Langkawi have flopped and cost the airline dearly.

Let IJ and his team make the best decision they can based on what they know best . . . if MH is not filling up every single seat on every single flight, why would it see a need to add more seats that are going to fly minus a paying butt.

Tourist boards from various countries have proven the effectiveness of working with foreign carriers - The Philippines and Indonesia with SIA, The Maldives with SriLankan Airlines etc. So can the Malaysian Ministry of Tourism and Tourism Malaysia! Just don't get too hung up on patriotism.

KC Sim

Penang is a destination and KL a stopover in the reverse during the heydays!

In all fairness, Penang - London was then viable, (which they were slow too anyway, foreign airlines were already starting to fly to Penang) - that is until Tourism Malaysia and (including the Penang State Govenrment then) slacked and started their neglect..... Phuket and Bali (which are better known) are better promoted constantly by their respective Tourism Authority of their country.... Bali - despite the bombing, their recuperation is speedy.

Given - If Bali and Phuket were neglected by their respective countries, it will share the same Penang fate!

Past glories - come winter months, tourist belts in Penang are full of British, Germans, Dutch, Europeans not to mention Taiwanese, Japanese.....

Now its only prominent (NO! "too good to be true") noticeable sight during summer (Mid East) and Christmas weeks - Europeans...(which is slacking as well)

second silicon valley after San Jose-US, Gone are the days when CX did 2 daily flights, SQ with more than 3 flights, EVA Air flight direct to Penang, Ryanair charter flights in winter...

I hope she realize it not as simple as more than 2 flights daily to beef up tourism... instead of criticizing a destination being dirty, bring in more tourists...

:finger:

If Penang is a top destinations for poms why not give a free flight to Penang if fly LHR-KUL return makes more people think of MH as a vfc carrier

MH's previous experience of bowing to pressure to provide non-stop services between London and Penang/Langkawi have flopped and cost the airline dearly.

KC Sim

Sign in to follow this