MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Cornelis Boersma

Helsinki Vantaa Airport

As I travel to Helsinki quite some times a year and mostly only show pictures of aircraft I fly, I decided to start a topic as well for the pictures I make of my spotting time in Helsinki.

Here some I like to share with you for now, much more to follow in the near future.

First I start with my latest shots and with those I do a small Helsinki main carrier introduction. ENJOY!

Blue1, belongs to Scandinavian Airlines (SAS), after Finnair the 2nd largest carrier at Helsinki Airport. They operate MD90 and BAe 146/Avro RJ85/100 aircraft

HEL1-2.jpg

Finnair, Helsinki's main carrier. Flying within Europe with Airbus A319/A320/A321 aircraft.

HEL4-1.jpg

Next to the Airbusses they have added Embraer 170/190 aircraft 2 years ago and for European and domestic flights.

OHLEN.jpg

The longhaul fleet is currently being renewed with Airbus aircraft. The first A340 got into the Finnair fleet in 2006. They now fly 5 A340s. The first A330 is arriving next month (December 2008) First one being used from Air Europe based in Spain. They will get brandnew A330s next year. From 2015 the A340s and later on the A330s will get replaced by A350s. They also fly MD-11 Aircraft which are going to be phased out the upcomming time. The first out of 7 is already gone at this time. I made her very last commercial flight for Finnair last week 16 October from New York JFK to Helsinki. Trip report of that will follow later on. The last MD11 will be phased out in March 2010.

A340, OH-LQB slowing down on RWY 04R

HEL2-1.jpg

OH-LQB taxiing in behind OH-LQC on a "2 in 1" shot

HEL3-1.jpg

Beautiful MD11 tail

HEL5-1.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

Then Finnair operates Boeing aircraft as well. They operate 7 Boeing 757-200s. Those aircraft mainly operate leisure flights, but sometimes can be seen on scheduled flights as well.

LBV.jpg

Further Finnair is doing maintenance on DC10/MD11 aircraft which now and then bringing nice aircraft to Helsinki Airport.

Aeroflot's aircraft are being done here. But also KLM and Martinair sending their MD11 aircraft to HEL/EFHK sometimes.

Next to D10/M11 they also do maintenance on ATR42 and ATR72 aircraft which also brings in nice exotic aircraft sometimes. Last month I got one from Africa!

HEL6-1.jpg

This was my introduction to Helsinki. I will update this topic with some (hopefully nice) shots from earlier this year during spotting in Helsinki, and hopefully also some nice wintershots from Helsinki for the upcomming winterseason! :)

Best regards,

Cornelis Boersma

wow..nice pix CB!

Especially LOVE the MD11 ones...i simply love that aircraft!

Nice shots from Finland, CB. The MD-11 shots are my favorites. :yahoo: I hope you'll get the "Moomins" in your next trip :drinks:

Kiitos, Cornelissen :pardon:

Some real nice impression from Helsingfors-Vanda Flygplatsen :p

Do like the '2 in 1' shot a lot...please, share us some more when you can (other airlines flying into that place)...

Wow, two different Severstal YAK's !!! :yahoo: lucky you !!! :good:

Plenty of interesting Saab's there, like Tango, AirAland and Estonian....hmm, should ask Mai to spend our Winter-holiday there (still have some AB-miles in my account :pardon: )

Kiitos tuttava/tack sa mycket min vaen !!! :pardon:

Last section for now from Helsinki:

The other Finish Airline, Air Finland:

HEL9-1.jpg

And another: Finncomm

EFHK5.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

Coming in for maintenance. One DC10 already has scrapped titles, so probably the first MD-11 OH-LGC will replace her in a couple of months. That DC10 is stored in HEL, will probably go to USA dessert and be scrapped.

IMG_8417.jpg

EFHK6.jpg

At this time the first A340 at one of its first takeoffs from Helsinki. I think Shanghai was it's first longhaul destination.

EFHK8.jpg

Other Nordic guest

EFHK9.jpg

Airport Overview of Helsinki Airport. A enlargement of this one is decorating a part of my bedroom :yahoo:

HELVW.jpg

No doubt you're a big Finnair/Oneworld supporter ;)

Thanks, again, for sharing... :good:

CB, nice catch of the Aeroflot and Iran's A321 :good: Awesome shots of the MD-11s :yahoo:

Edited by MIR

Most of you guys probably have read my topic about my trip on OH-LGC's last commercial flight for Finnair http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....showtopic=10673

Here OH-LGC seen without titles and logo's :cray:

Picture published with permission and thx to Finnish spotter Sami Aaltonen, seen together with 2 Aeroflot Cargo DC10s. One of them is being replaced by Golf Charlie.

LGC.jpg

During my trip I've been doing some spotting again at my "other" home airport.

Here some results of spotting in winter wonder land. A few have been made from roof of Finnair Crew Centre, more about this will appear in my holiday topic which at this moment still has to be created on a later stage ;)

HELB2.jpg

HELB1.jpg

HELB3.jpg

HELB5.jpg

HELB6.jpg

HELC1.jpg

HELC2.jpg

HELC3.jpg

HELA1.jpg

New Airline for me

HELA3.jpg

And here 2 retro's :yahoo:

HELD1.jpg

Last 2 MD11 shots

HELD2.jpg

This one after deboarding from Delhi

HELD3.jpg

Kiitos !!! :pardon:

Hope to shoot LVE early next month when visiting Helsingfors myself (see siggy), as not successful sofar @ AMS :(

The Utair AN-26 is awesome; charter or regular there ?

(Svenska) SprintAir Saab 340 looks very nice in these colours !!! :good:

Looking at the finnsih a/c, just can help but wonder why is it that some airlines can keep their equipment so clean and white but not our own MH? I can never figure that out. Perhaps someone form gud old malaysia airlines can enlighten us on this matter. :sorry: :pardon:

David C

HEL was also the place visited by Mai and me, early March, and this is what we spotted @ Vantaan Lentoasema - Helsinki/Vanda Flygstation - Helsingfors:

Light conditions were already poor when we took the pictures between 1700-1800 :sorry: :

D-ABBW was our ship from HEL to DUS:

AMS-31mar2008006.jpg

This classic has been displayed inside the Terminal since my 1st visit there in 1973 :blink: :

AMS-31mar2008007.jpg

Was very happy to get a shot of this Air Aland Saab 340 (taken well after sunset already/ sorry for the blurred shot):

AMS-31mar2008008.jpg

How about this for a model ? Dakota on display in the Aviation Museum @ Vantaa:

AMS-31mar2008005.jpg

Shivering outside the museum and covered by snow was this Mil MI-8 of Ilmavoimat:

AMS-31mar2008004.jpg

Just outside the city of Kuopio, was this Piper Aztec on display:

AMS-31mar2008001.jpg

Kiitos/Tack sa mycket/Thanks for viewing...

Here again some shots from Finland

USAF globemaster first together seen with A319 of Czech Republic Government

A4.jpg

Finnairs 2nd A330 just arrived from DEL, finally painted winglets on Finnair aircraft!! :D

HEL1-3.jpg

From OH-LQE

HEL2-2.jpg

HEL3-2.jpg

Finnair Retro

HEL4-2.jpg

Finnairs latest Embraer 190, finally they start to paint the winglets of the new Embraers/Airbusses

HEL5-2.jpg

Enjoy this tri-holer view while you still can in HEL

HEL6-2.jpg

IN the rear OH-LTN Finnair 2nd A330 just towed to remote-stand. Further Finnair OneWorld A340 I just deboarded and 2 MD11. One MD11 waiting to be phased out and other MD11 waiting for flight to BKK during evening.

HEL7-1.jpg

As I am in HEL right now I'd like to share a few pictures. Later when I get home I will share some more.

Finnair A340 OH-LQE taking off RWY 22R

HEL003.jpg

HEL008.jpg

HEL010.jpg

One of Finnairs new A330-300s lining-up RWY22R as AY0021 to DEL/VIDP

Unfortunately no MD11 action, as MD is only doing the BKK run (departing at midnight, arriving at 6AM) at present. Luckily in a few weeks they also start again 2 flights a week to BOM/VABB with MD :)

Edited by Cornelis Boersma

As I am in HEL right now I'd like to share a few pictures. Later when I get home I will share some more.

Finnair A340 OH-LQE taking off RWY 22R

HEL003.jpg

Excellent picture, showing the full 'drama' of the rotation.....great weather too :good:

Hope you've enjoyed your flights on PH-BTH & PH-BTI :pardon: