MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hakan

to be pilot for a two hours in a B737NG

Hi all,

I received an invitation from one of our flightsim fellow at last monday which is about to be join to him as First officers in his first Boeing 737NG flight simulator experience. Invitation owner's name is Mr. Tuncay Karatas who is PPL holder,Microlight pilot licence holder also he is an experienced paramotor and paraglider pilot. Besides, last 6-8 month he is interesting virtual flight as online on VATSIM. He hasn't got any real simulator experience before like as me but he said me " you are very knowledge person about virtual flight also you are a B737 fanatic, I always reading your very helpfull articles and guides in our forums,I know you are very likes 737". He was really kind person and he invited me to be assist to him on his experience.

Also It was mine first simulation experience.

We have met very early morning in hotel where near the flight simulation center and we have talk about aviation and sportive flights during couple of hours. Our slots was 04:45-0645am in IFTC-International Flight Traning CEnter (www.iftc.aero)

IFTC is located in Istanbul Free zone where very close of Ataturk Airport. When we arrived there, two security guard welcomed us and they were bring us to one of briefing rooms;

IMAG0006.jpg

on the left doors for simulator and technical (computer rooms) and on the right doors for briefing rooms.

While we are waiting our technicians (who is responsible of simulator operation) we have inspected 737 cockpit instruments once more and we have decided what will be do while flying on white board. Briefing rooms for 6 persons and projection, white board and table facilities includes in there.

IMAG0002.jpg

IMAG0001.jpg

Mr. Tuncay Karatas

IFTC has 4 simulators which are made by Mechtronix FFS-X series, two of them A320 and other two B737NG

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

this is our simulator, number 1

When our technician came, he bring us to the simulator and said "I'll be prepare simulation, it will take 15 minutes, in this time, you can familiarize to cockpit, it would be great if it is your first experience in real flight simulator". Actually it was great, during 15 minutes we have inspected cockpit instruments,have set our seats (it was really hard for us!) and prepared FMC for our first flight.

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0009.jpg

When technician comes back, our first flight experience has began. Unfortunately, mr.Tuncay has been forget to bring camera (he forget in his car while coming to Istanbul at airport car park) so we couldn't get any evidence about our landing and succesfull emergency operations.

at the first attempt, we tried takeoff from LTBA 36R joining SID YAA1K, then direct point in middle of SID, climb cruise level to LTAC Ankara Esenboga . For using slot time effiency, freezed flight and continue flight on STAR begin point for LTAC. LTAC is located 3125ft AGL, we requested 3700ft Cloud layer as overcast. We made very succesfull descend operation as chart, final turn, (with FMC sets for Vrefs),we have exit clouds at 3700ft and then we have done (actually Mr.Tuncay did land)succesfull land on rwy 03R with a few smooth bumpy. aircrafts was on the center line and we left from runway with taxiway.

After that we tried the same landing from 6 nm with moderate rain, another succesfull land again.

We moved LOWI,Innsbruck. WE requested aircraft position at on the localizer for rwy 26, 7000ft on 6 nm from beam (NDB), we tried to land rwy 08 with special circling procedure as visual. at the first attempt everything was fine until final approach, we were a bit high, technician reset aircraft position on final, we continued but we couldn't land, we did goaround immediatly, I hvae the controls on goaround, and I did fully manual right hand side circle to land procedure as published chart, turned final, I was a bit high too but cut the throttle iddle,a bit dive then get the flare position the aircraft while passing threshold, aircraft did land very smooth.

We would like to see night approach of LOWI, reset at the beginning, Mr.Tuncay get commands again, he did excellent procedure flight on circling, turned the final, on the perfect position against runway at glidepath,and he did land the aircraft awesome.

We requested KAITAK approaches but technician said "VHHX is not on our system becouse of datas are updated newest files". No problem, we could try to take offs and hard level landings. Firstly We requested again LTBA36R for take off position and we requested CATII landing to rwy 36R, technician has been set tha aircraft at 10nm out of runway, we set the instruments for CATII approach, everyting was perfect until we see approach lights, Mr.Tuncay disengage A/P A/T , he made once again very smoooth landing.

What is next one?cross wind landing, we requested 030@25 knts winds for rwy 36R , on visual conditions. Mr.Tuncay was set up rudder trim and did land again on the center line.

Now my turn in the same cross wind land; aircraft setup at 10nm,we set cockpit instruments while approaching.suddenly R ENG FIRE! ENG2 to IDDLE, CUT OFF FUEL, GEN from 2 to 1,R PACK OFF, rudder trim for set , Manual flight and I did land a bit right of centerline but a bit slide becouse of we used asimetric reverse with our mistakes!

suddenly technician offered us "what about a bit exciting?" we replied "-what kind of exiciting?", "you will see..hehehe"

After a smooth takeoff while climbing on rwy hdg "surprise , windshear" said the technician behind us. Aircraft start shaking , falling at that time, we opened full throttle and try to get commands shortly after, we escaped from windshear but there was technician's another surprise; a CB clouds in front of us with fully thunderflash! we tried to escape once more but technician was really insistens, we have to fly through middle of CB! It was amazing, for a moment we climbed 7000fpm and then felt down until 2000fpm in seconds! God (Allah) helps to all pilots!. Cockpit was shaking, roling, diving, doing everyting on every directions! when we exit of CB we have get deep breath!.

now my turn again; I tookoff from iced runway36R while climbing and start to turn right slowly sudddenly L ENG FIRE! the same emergency procedures, pitchdown nose kept speed leveled wings, Mr.Tuncay offered me "turn back and land rwy 18L" , I tried to turn but we were too high to land, I said " I'm going to rwy 06 , entering left downwing it will be visual". Shortly after I applied my plan and make a safe landing to rwy 06.

WE reached to end of our slot time, at the last attempt , technician said that "last day, one o airlines pilots have been lived this emergency, it was terrible , would you like to you live the same?" "-what was that?" " it was a surprise, I never do any amateur pilots before but you were very success until this time,Im sure you will like it" " sir, we are just only virtual pilot, if we could do that, we would be pilot already :) hehehe"

Technician has been set the aircraft 36R again, Mr.Tuncay tookoff 36R and we started to turn BKZ on right side, suddenly, R ENG FIRE again, he was trying to get under command aircraft becouse we were still climbing, I did A/T OFF, ENG2 iddle,fuel CUTOFF, FIRE EXTHINGUISE for NO2 but fire did not stop, Mr.Tuncay decided to land rwy 24, suddenly smokes fully up in the cockpit, we put on the masks , set the VOR and ILS for rwy 24, check ryclic fans for discharge smokes from cockpit but doesn't work. God helps :) technician was fair :) he stopped the smokes, we captured visual approach to rwy 24 and landed safely.

IMAG0013.jpg

shortly after fire in the cockpit emergency landing

IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

Faces with tired, sleepy but very happy :)

It was amazing experience for both of us. I didin't know did I land an aircaft safely or not. I believe I can do something but simulator flying never prove anything becouse I'm not a pilot , I can never feel their emotions becouse all of flight simulation hours I know I'm in a cabin and I'm on the ground,I never feel exiciting about life,adrenaline or else. Our and mine landing can never be criticise as such as real life pilot career becouse real life pilots makes thier jobs, but this flight was our excellent entertainment. So if you have an experience like as virtual pilot/Flightsimmer someday, do not believe you can land an aircraft in real life.Self-confidende is really good in personal life but we have to know limits.We never feel the same things with a professional pilot.

I have big respect to pilot's jobs now my respect is grew up once more. They are doing really impressive and directly interested with human life job.

WOW HAKAN!

Absolutely amazing stuff! I never knew they could even simulate smoke in the cockpit...that truly is fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed yourself...a simulator visit is almost never regrettable for enthusiasts like us!

Superb, Hakan. Nice of you to talk about self-confidence as well. From your narration of the simulator experience, you seem to be to have quite an impressive amount of knowledge on instrument departures and arrivals. Thanks for sharing again, and glad you made full use of this rare opportunity.

WOW HAKAN!

Absolutely amazing stuff! I never knew they could even simulate smoke in the cockpit...that truly is fantastic!

Glad you enjoyed yourself...a simulator visit is almost never regrettable for enthusiasts like us!

One fine day when you find yourself in CAE KL , I'll give you a chance to see smoke in the cockpit :D

Mechtronix simulators , never come across them before , or heard about them .

waaa...

good job hakan...

kudos to hakan and his friend...

nice experience...

Edited by Muhd Hisyam

wau, so cool Hakan. must be enjoying urself there. nice report.:) especially smoke in the cockpit. haha. Simulator these days can simulate virtually everything eh.

Glad you enjoyed the simulator session Hakan! Engaging reverse thrust during single engine landing is perfectly normal but you have to be extra careful especially when the runway is wet.

We normally unlock both reverser but only increase reverse thrust on the operating engine.

Thank you, Hakan. What an exhausting experience for you. Yes, we really appreciate what airline pilots have to go through in their simulators to keep current.

Sign in to follow this