MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
H Azmal

British Airways B742

Having gone through A.net I noticed a lot of BA's B742 broken up in Caerdydd, Cymru. Anyone knows if there is any if at all B742 still left in service with BA?

Thanks.

Edited by H Azmal

Azmal,

Only 744's operating in BA's fleet; some 742's went to European, but wonder if they still operate with these...(one is being broken-up right now overhere at AMS after plus/minus 2 years of storage)...

I flew on BA's B747-200 a long time ago, on the G-BDXC "City of Manchester" and G-BDXF "City of York". G-BDXC has been scrapped (!) while G-BDXF is still around, flying under Corsair.

My first ever flight on a jumbo was on a BA B747-200 in January 1983. The flight took me and a few other Petronas scholars from KUL to MEL via SIN and SYD. The stewardesses on BA were really old then - about late 40s to early 50s ... I reckon my mum was younger then smile.gif I then took a connecting flight on Trans Australia Airlines (TAA) (later changed it's name to Australian Airlines - gone bust now and bought over by Qantas in the early 1990s) from MEL to ADL on a DC9.

I also had the pleasure to fly on a QF B747-300 on it's 300 series inaugural flight from MEL to SIN via SYD in November 1984. The QF plane then flew on to LHR via BOM (or a middle eastern airport - can't recall). I recall seeing some of the older stewards going panicky not knowing how to use some of the new equipments on board. My connecting flight from SIN to KUL was on a MH A300.

Ahh ... those were the days - classic planes now! Also a relief to finally shoot out my first ever posting on MW!

My first ever flight on a jumbo was on a BA B747-200 in January 1983. The flight took me and a few other Petronas scholars from KUL to MEL via SIN and SYD. The stewardesses on BA were really old then - about late 40s to early 50s ... I reckon my mum was younger then  smile.gif  I then took a connecting flight on Trans Australia Airlines (TAA) (later changed it's name to Australian Airlines - gone bust now and bought over by Qantas in the early 1990s) from MEL to ADL on a DC9.

I also had the pleasure to fly on a QF B747-300 on it's 300 series inaugural flight from MEL to SIN via SYD in November 1984. The QF plane then flew on to LHR via BOM (or a middle eastern airport - can't recall). I recall seeing some of the older stewards going panicky not knowing how to use some of the new equipments on board. My connecting flight from SIN to KUL was on a MH A300.

Ahh ... those were the days - classic planes now! Also a relief to finally shoot out my first ever posting on MW!

16575[/snapback]

All the stopovers just to get from KUL to ADL. Now, it's nonstop from KUL to ADL. I guess students these days are luckier.

All the stopovers just to get from KUL to ADL. Now, it's nonstop from KUL to ADL. I guess students these days are luckier.

16714[/snapback]

Lucky ... you bet! Back in the 1980s, even MH flights to MEL and SYD were served by the same plane; i.e. from KUL to MEL and the continue to SYD. There were only 3 or 4 flights per week to MEL and SYD then. Always pack full like sardines in cans. I had the pleasure to fly on both 9M-MHI and 9M-MHJ then; a real pity these 2 classic B747-200s are no longer with us!

Students then also had the option of flying on Lufthansa's B747-200 from SYD and MEL to KUL, but unfortunately, I didn't have the pleasure then to fly on LH. Also, QF's flights from ADL to SIN were served by B747-200, unlike B767 today (or are they using the A330?). My biggest regret during my time in Oz in the 1980s was that I didn't get the chance to fly on Ansett.

Now I'm really feeling old ... talking about the good old 1980s ... sad.gif

Now I'm really feeling old ... talking about the good old 1980s ...  sad.gif

16727[/snapback]

Offtopic a little....LOL you don't have to be old to appreciate the 80s - I'm not even 30 yet but the 80s is so dear to me! laugh.gif smile.gif

Edited by H Azmal

Offtopic a little....LOL you don't have to be old to appreciate the 80s - I'm not even 30 yet but the 80s is so dear to me!  laugh.gif  smile.gif

16728[/snapback]

Yeah, a bit off-topic too on my part ... perhaps it's my age that's catching up with me! I'll be 40 in less than 2 weeks, and if you follow the islamic calendar, I'm already 41+ now, with white/grey hair some more! sad.gif ... but I agree with you, nothing beats the 80s ... best years of my life; late teens and early 20s biggrin.gif

Should that be Uncle Hisham? laugh.gif

I love the 80s - music and everything! laugh.gif smile.gif

Edited by H Azmal

Should that be Uncle Hisham? laugh.gif

I love the 80s - music and everything! laugh.gif smile.gif

16738[/snapback]

Uncle?!? ohmy.gif Please lah!!! When I first met Fendy last Sunday (did some swapping for his MasKargo/Air Atlanta safety cards) ... I really, really, really felt old! So much so, sampai tersasul when I told my 9-year-old son Adam to "give the magazine to the Uncle" ... "Uncle" here was meant to be Fendy ... sorry Fendy smile.gif

Don't you think 'Abang Hisham' sounds more manja or perhaps 'Abe Ishe' as how my wife's siblings calls me biggrin.gif laugh.gif

Don't you think 'Abang Hisham' sounds more manja or perhaps 'Abe Ishe' as how my wife's siblings calls me  biggrin.gif  laugh.gif

16753[/snapback]

I think i'll stick to "Abang Hisham" .. biggrin.gif

The kelantan pronounciation sounds very manja .. tongue.gif

I think i'll stick to "Abang Hisham" ..  biggrin.gif

The kelantan pronounciation sounds very manja ..  tongue.gif

16755[/snapback]

Abe Hishe... can ah? hehehe... laugh.gif

Abe Hishe... can ah? hehehe... laugh.gif

16773[/snapback]

I'm kinda used to the kelate pronounciation ... but it has to be uttered by a kelantanese, else, geli le ... cool.gif Btw, I'm not a kelantanese, it so happened I married one smile.gif

Hey! Let's stick to the original topic le! ohmy.gif

Sign in to follow this