MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew K

MAS getting feedback from customers

PETALING JAYA: Malaysia Airlines has started a feedback programme where groups of customers are engaged in a dialogue with the company's management team.

The first group under its MH Advocates Programme on Friday saw MAS managing director and chief executive officer Datuk Seri Idris Jala field questions and address issues from 22 people.

Eighty per cent of those who attended the session had previously filed complaints.

“It’s our latest initiative, in line with our plans to transform the airline.

“It was developed with the intent of turning complainants into advocates and for customers to remain loyal and satisfied,” Jala said.

Sunday August 17, 2008

This is a positive move . . . and I hope that it will bring about real hard-nosed changes that bring true value to MAS' customers. For that to happen, the management must engage these customers with a very open mind, be sincere in accepting criticisms and be relentless in pursuing positive changes (even in the face of staff members who may not embrace changes easily).

Don't get me wrong . . . I am very keen to see this work. And if I come across as being somewhat unsure about the result of such a move, it is only because I have participated in and seen such moves fail.

Sometime in 2004, Thai Airways International engaged at least five sets of people from across a wide cross-section of the travel and tourism industry, other economic sectors and its own passengers. When I was invited to participate in one of these sessions, I immediately said that they should not expect me to wax lyricals about its service just to earn a free lunch . . . and the management seemed sincere in wanting to hear mostly criticisms. The then President Mr Kanok Abhiradee assembled every single head of department and it was a very positive exchange of opinions and perspective.

Sadly, when Khun Kanok tried to make some positive changes that could impact on specific aspects of TG's operation, he was removed from office. And Thai's fortunes have never turned the corner that Khun Kanok had intended it to. For once during that time, I truly thought TG could be on its way to being Asia's best airline again - as it did in the 70s and 80s.

If this move by MAS is given the right mixture of sincerity, determination and open-mindedness . . . maybe, just maybe MAS could realise its greater potential. And I wish IJ and his team every success.

KC Sim

Not sure how MH select these advocates, likely only those with ‘constructive’ suggestion.

If MH is serious, MH should invite KUL based SQ Solitaire and PPS holders for cocktails.

:drinks:

Not sure how MH select these advocates, likely only those with ‘constructive’ suggestion.

If MH is serious, MH should invite KUL based SQ Solitaire and PPS holders for cocktails.

I'll try arrange 5 slots for MW members if anyone is keen. I don't know what criteria my fellow colleagues chose the 22 but who knows, they may listen to this suggestion from a small timer like me......

Edited by Nik H.

Capt. Nik H,

Can I become one?

My enthusiasm towards MH can be exhibited by my threads/posts/replies in this forum and also the Malaysian Aviation Threads in www.airliners.net (now in version 7) that I administer. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/g...d.main/3814984/

As at today (17 August 2008), I have been flying MH on 107 sectors, mostly on regional routes, which represents 62% of my overall air travelling. The beakdown of classes flown are 15 sectors on Golden Club Class and 92 sectors on Economy Class. In average, I fly with MH at least 1 sector a month. Here is my FlightMemory page for your reference. http://my.flightmemory.com/9MMAR

I am also a Silver Enrich member who signed in with the Golden Lounge Program. I collect MH's memorabilia and aircraft's die cast models.

I am a single, 28 years old Malay accountant who is based abroad. I understand that I may not fall within the criteria/demography of subject that you are looking for and I am extremely aware of the fact that there are many other travellers who flown on many more sectors and to much more farther places than mine with MH. But I believe, I have put a strong case on my enthusiasm towards MH, especially in MalaysianWings. I am confident that I can give great inputs for the program.

Mohd Azizul Ramli certainly is eminently qualified to give constructive feedback to MAS. Not only has he flown extensively with MAS, the other 38% of his experience is on a variety of other carriers (and this is just as important as that which is flown on MH - for it is the yardstick against which he could measure his experiences on MH).

KC Sim

Edited by KC Sim

Capt. Nik H,

Can I become one?

My enthusiasm towards MH can be exhibited by my threads/posts/replies in this forum and also the Malaysian Aviation Threads in www.airliners.net (now in version 7) that I administer. http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/g...d.main/3814984/

As at today (17 August 2008), I have been flying MH on 107 sectors, mostly on regional routes, which represents 62% of my overall air travelling. The beakdown of classes flown are 15 sectors on Golden Club Class and 92 sectors on Economy Class. In average, I fly with MH at least 1 sector a month. Here is my FlightMemory page for your reference. http://my.flightmemory.com/9MMAR

I am also a Silver Enrich member who signed in with the Golden Lounge Program. I collect MH's memorabilia and aircraft's die cast models.

I am a single, 28 years old Malay accountant who is based abroad. I understand that I may not fall within the criteria/demography of subject that you are looking for and I am extremely aware of the fact that there are many other travellers who flown on many more sectors and to much more farther places than mine with MH. But I believe, I have put a strong case on my enthusiasm towards MH, especially in MalaysianWings. I am confident that I can give great inputs for the program.

MW Names I will propose;

1. Mohd Azizul Ramli

Please send me ( huzlan@malaysiaairlines.com & nikhuzlan@yahoo.com ) your details as follows;

Name:

IC No:

MH Flight Experience:

Other Airlines Flight Experience:

Previous Complaints to MH:

Past Career Position/s:

Current Position:

List of 5 Main Issues / Queries / Suggestions :

I cannot promise results but I can promise I will strongly propose your participation in subsequent meetings.

If nominations are allowed, I would go for Dr Naim and Keith T

Between the two of them, I reckon you've got both extremes of the spectrum covered :)

(Having said that, I've only got their TR's to go by !)

Way to go Azizul, first on board ! :good:

Edited by BC Tam

Between the two of them, I reckon you've got both extremes of the spectrum covered :)

I second your nomination :good:

Right choice .. the opinion should be constructive and MH should also look into the situation seriously and not just cost base.

First one to come up my mind other than Azizul is Ryan Soh (Ryanair!). Former MAS staunch follower... :p He should have some constructive input.

..... Ryan Soh (Ryanair!). Former MAS staunch follower... :p He should have some constructive input.

I in turn will second Ryan's nomination :)

Gosh, how invaluable would an ex-customer's opinion be :)

Edited by BC Tam

I in turn will second Ryan's nomination :)

Gosh, how invaluable would an ex-customer's opinion be :)

I have recieved Azizul's prompt and concise email. 4 more slots left for me to froward the names. Again I stress I can only recommend the names but have no control over the invitation as this is not my show.

Thanks BC, may I decline, pls? Am contented the way things are ... yes, I'm just a simple bum. :D

Main issues :-

1) Taking MH down market (you cannot be a five star value carrier - quality costs). Ditch the move to 5* LCC. Leave all that nonsense to Air Asia.

2) The perceived drop in inflight quality on long haul - (poor catering, no menus/amenity kits etc. - the little things that passengers like and remember).

Refocus the business on being a world class quality airline who passengers want to fly with.

3) Poor website (not good enough compared to other major carriers).

4) Failure to join a major airline alliance. (MH should have been in Skyteam ages ago).

5) Marketing. MH don't sell themselves well enough.

I'd love to attend these customer sessions however living in the UK it ain't gonna happen.

Hope the MWingers fortunate enough to attend these get togethers use the opportunity constructively and that MH maybe see the light and move onward and upward.

My goodness... I am really honoured you guys remembered me!

During the peak of my flying soirees with MAS, I was flying up to 11 flights a year with MAS between SIN and KUL alone, not to mention my other flights to Phuket, Bangkok and TONS of KUL - SYD / BNE! One of the rare few Singaporeans with good things to say about MAS.

Sadly that all came to an end not by choice. So naturally it saddens me to see MAS diluting itself like that.

I know MAS is capable of great things. Just need the know how to get there. So I guess this is at least the right way to start off, to seriously engage customers who PAY to fly with them.

Oh man do I have so much to say about their marketing efforts!!!!!

So if I kena call up... got free ticket to KL ah? :pardon:

Edited by Ryan Soh

Hah hah, certainly ! Has to be consensual you know ! :p

Heehee, sure. During my corporate days, used MH virtually everywhere, biz/first some more. Now on my own, so el-cheapo fare wins. Am happy the way it is. :p

Only complaint are the Airbuses - shakes too much compared to Boeings.

Sign in to follow this