MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Adam Air jet skids off Batam runway

whether it was due to the weather it is not for us to say

Always makes me laugh when planes run off the end of the runway and they blame it on the weather. You can just imagine the conversation in the boss's office.

Captain: "I wasn't my fault we ran off the end. It was due to the weather. It was raining"

Boss: "Ah thats ok then. Have a nice day"

Most of the problem occurred during approach/landing phase. Adam air split into 2 on landing, overshoot at jogja, gading sari landed short at kch, skidded at pontianak and now Batam. hmm...every take off must land on first try???

Wah, luckily I did not need to do diversion to Batam in rain yesterday when I come back from Bali, Denpasar late morning, early noon. Landed safely Singapore 02C. No overshooting of course, but landing was firm. To avoid sliding off the runway. Full reverse thrust and Autobrake minimum 3. Landing beyong glideslope more than 3600m long. No issues.

Always makes me laugh when planes run off the end of the runway and they blame it on the weather. You can just imagine the conversation in the boss's office.

Captain: "I wasn't my fault we ran off the end. It was due to the weather. It was raining"

Boss: "Ah thats ok then. Have a nice day"

that's funny...no worries, our pilot is the best! weather ruined our reputation.. DARN!

The news made the headline in today's newspaper.

AdamBatam1.jpg

AdamBatam2.jpg

AdamBatam3.jpg

Translation for those who can't read Bahasa Indonesia:

Adam Air flight KI 292 from Jakarta to Batam skidded off the runway upon landing at Hang Nadim Airport on Monday at 10:20 am. All 171 passengers onboard the Boeing 737-400 aircraft (PK-KKI) were safe although 4 of them were rushed to the hospital for having a trauma. The failed landing was the flight's second attempt after another failed attempt at 10:08 am.

3 minutes before the failed first attempt, a Lion Air flight from Jakarta landed safely. The Adam Air aircraft's landing gear managed to touch the runway before the pilot aborted the landing and performed another go around. 2 minutes later, an Indonesia AirAsia flight from Jakarta landed safely. The Adam Air flight asked for ATC assistance to help on its second approach at 10:20 am.

The flight experienced a bumpy landing once the landing gear touched the runway. The landing caused the aircraft to be beyond control and it went off 75 meter to the right of the runway. The impact caused the right landing gear to collapse while the right engine touched the ground. The cockpit's position was hanging 40 cm above the ground.

Passengers informed that the situation inside the aircraft during the incident was very tense. The fuselage shaked vigorously upon landing and all passengers were screaming for help. The aircraft then lost it's power supply and it was dark inside. All passengers went out from the aircraft using the back door.

Hang Nadim Airport authority informed that there are 169 adults, 1 child, 1 infant and 6 crews on the flight, 4 of whom were rushed to the hospital. The incident caused the airport to be closed for 2 hours until 12:30 pm resulting in massive diversion and delays in Batam. A Batavia flight from Jakarta was diverted to Sultan Syarif Kassim II airport in Pekanbaru, Riau while a Mandala and Lion Air flights from Jakarta were asked to return back to Soekarno Hatta International.

The incident is currently being investigate by the National Transportation Safety Committee. The airport authority dismissed the accusation that the flight was forced to land in bad weather by the ATC. Although it was raining heavily at that time, the pilot vision was at 3,000 meter, 10 times from the minimum landing requirement of 300 meter. The airport authority also dismissed the accusation that the crash was caused by the runway's condition (rubber deposit from aircraft's tyres on the runway were not cleaned on a regular basis). The airport done the maintenance 2 years ago, within the ideal requirement of once every 3 years. The 3 main landing instruments system at Hang Nadim airport i.e. localizer, middle marker and glide path were also functioning well during the incident.

The Committee can only come out with a preliminary result of the crash today. Adam Air is well known for many accidents in Indonesia. Adam Air's founder, Adam Adhitya Suherman said all 171 passengers were safe and the airline don't want to make any speculation on the cause of the crash.

Adam Air is an accident prone airline with 2 bona fide crashes in 2007 (the missing flight on New Year's eve in the coast of Makassar and the fuselage that broke into 2 during landing in SUB).

There are 4 photos of PK-KKI in Airliners.Net photo database, 3 of which were shooted in PEN while another one in SIN.

Edited by Mohd Azizul Ramli

Looking at the pics, I presume the emergency slides have been 'pulled' out by ground crew before the pics were taken and after all paxs evacuated safely!!

There are 4 photos of PK-KKI in Airliners.Net photo database, 3 of which were shooted in PEN while another one in SIN.

I think it was KKT rather than KKI. KKI was seen in MES on the 11th.

That the slide was not seen in the picture baffles me. Nothing would be removed after evacuation until the investigation is done.

Edited by Radzi

I think it was KKT rather than KKI. KKI was seen in MES on the 11th.

Perhaps. It looks like 'KI' in the photo.

That the slide was not seen in the picture baffles me. Nothing would be removed after evacuation until the investigation is done.

It's very common in Indonesia for such things to happened. When the Adam Air flight crashed in SUB and the fuselage broke into 2, the airline decided to paint the aircraft all white even before investigation has started to protect's the company's image. Even the aircraft's registration number was also covered in white paint.

Sign in to follow this