MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Keith T

Japan Airlines to join oneworld

Japan Airlines has announced that it will join oneworld. About damn time!

http://web2.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485949

Finally oneworld has a 'brand name' recruit! smile.gif

edited to add: Press release here - http://www.jal.com/en/press/0000318/318.html

Edited by Keith T

A good news for OW indeed, they really need expansion in membership to compete more head-to-head with SA and ST.

And off-topic here, but what happened to MAS' long-run rumour on ST??

And off-topic here, but what happened to MAS' long-run rumour on ST??

Even more reasons for SkyTeam to pursue MAS in joining !!!

Not many "blank" spots in Asia anymore, so they (ST) had better move...

Even more reasons for SkyTeam to pursue MAS in joining !!!

Not many "blank" spots in Asia anymore, so they (ST) had better move...

11793[/snapback]

I think both SkyTeam and MH should get their act together, resolve their differences and come up with something.

Man......I was blinking my eyes repeatedly, wishing that the topic was MAS to join ONEWORLD instead  sad.gif

11809[/snapback]

As much as I like MH to be in oneworld, I dont think its going to happen anytime soon if at all.

First, oneworld is all about profits. A key criteria to being a member is to be profitable. MH has been losing money. If it's to join oneworld it'd have to be like what Malev is doing now - sign an MOU and polish up its financial status before being considered for actual membership.

Second, oneworld has no base in KUL, unlike SIN, NRT or HKG. This is to be viewed from a 'what benefits BA perspective' as the reason most airlines justify their desire for oneworld membership is BA's brand name. With JL, BA feeds traffic into JL for traffic to the Far East at NRT whilst JL sends its Europe-bound pax onto BA at Heathrow; or even at NRT for JL pax from Australia. Similar to the QF/BA deal in SIN or QF/BA/CX in HKG. Unfortunately BA does not currently fly to KUL, nor does their JSA partner QF. Thus there is no incentive for MH to join be a member of oneworld, either to MH or to the alliance (read: BA).

I think it is with a sigh of defeat that I await the inevitability of MH's membership to ST.

Edited by Keith T

I think it is with a sigh of defeat that I await the inevitability of MH's membership to ST.

sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif (if there was a crying smilie i wouldve used it instead)

Sometimes I can't help feeling that these alliances are just glamourised cartel arrangements anyway. tongue.gif

Sometimes I can't help feeling that these alliances are just glamourised cartel arrangements anyway. tongue.gif

12002[/snapback]

I share your thoughts.

Sign in to follow this