MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Thai AirAsia Cancels Bangkok-Langkawi Route

As the cliche says, you win some, you lose some. But an opportunity to go to Nepal!

+++

October 25, 2007 15:01 PM

Thai AirAsia Cancels Bangkok-Langkawi Route

By D. Arul Rajoo

CHIANGMAI, Oct 25 (Bernama) -- Thai AirAsia is cancelling its unprofitable Bangkok-Langkawi route, replacing it with an additional daily flight to Kuala Lumpur as it plans to expand to Dhaka in Bangladesh and Kathmandu in Nepal.

Chief executive officer Tasapon Bijleveld said the Langkawi destination, which has a load factor of less than 50 percent, will see its last flight on Saturday.

Tasapon said Thai AirAsia will increase its daily flights to Kuala Lumpur from Bangkok to three daily in December, besides the four operated by its parent company, Malaysia-based AirAsia.

"The Kuala Lumpur-Bangkok route has a very good load factor, sometimes up to 90 percent. With more frequencies, we can offer more seats and make the tickets cheaper," he told reporters on a media tour here on board the airline's first Airbus 320 which arrived from France last week.

Besides Kuala Lumpur and Langkawi, Thai AirAsia, which has 11 domestic and 11 international destinations, is also flying to Penang in Malaysia while the Kota Kinabalu route is served by AirAsia.

Tasapon also said Thai AirAsia plans to fly to Kathmandu and Dhaka within 12 to 15 months, depending on the approvals by the aviation bodies and governments of the two countries.

"With our new Airbus, we can actually fly up to between six and eight hours. But we prefer to keep to our low cost model and look at destinations within three and half hours for quick turnaround time," he said.

As part of its expansion plan, Tasapon said, it also plans to fly to Jakarta and Hong Kong in the coming months, as well as adding five more destinations in China, including Ghuangzhou.

"China is a very big market and with its open sky policy, we can add more destinations. Our current load factor is between 75 and 78 percent," he added.

He, however, said the airline's plan to fly to India is unlikely to materialise in the coming months due to the difficulty in getting landing rights in that country.

Asked if Thai AirAsia will increase the fuel surcharge due to the high oil price which has reached almost US$90 per barrel, Tasapon said this is unlikely as it will affect the low cost pricing structure and make travelling more expensive.

-- BERNAMA

http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=291986

I think the only appeal of LGK to Thais are the duty-free status. Islands-wise, they have plenty of beautiful, if not more beatiful islands of their own already. And cheaper food.

I have this feeling AK isn't doing the BKK/BKI route anymore. Try searching on AK's site and you get some message about the flight probably being fully booked. Also, one doesn't see the Bangkok/Thailand tours being promoted by travel agents here anymore. Pity

"With our new Airbus, we can actually fly up to between six and eight hours. But we prefer to keep to our low cost model and look at destinations within three and half hours for quick turnaround time," he said.

October 25, 2007 15:01 PM

really?

I have this feeling AK isn't doing the BKK/BKI route anymore. Try searching on AK's site and you get some message about the flight probably being fully booked. Also, one doesn't see the Bangkok/Thailand tours being promoted by travel agents here anymore. Pity

I suspect the same thing too. While AK has been expanding new routes from BKI this particular sector is quietly disappearing. From 7 flights per week to 3 and now?

Wahh, AK can do whatever they want

They ask for it if good for money

If it is not good for their business, they slowly go out from it

Franky, I don't see any problem there, it's for the sack of business, not that their management want to cut cost thus cancelling the flight. When business is not good retrieval is an option, who on earth would still keep running a route that doesn't make revenue?

Sign in to follow this