MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Samuel Chy

AirAsia MD-11??

just saw this AirAsia MD-11 safety card at EBay. my question is, did AirAsia operate MD-11 when under HICOM?

click here.

Edited by Samuel Chy

I believed is the chartered Haji flight when AK won the contract from Tabung Haji.

i thought last time they leased the 747-200 series aircraft for the Hajj Session.

do u think its malaysian airasia?

i dont think so...

I can confirm that it is the old Air Asia (AK).

Before the Tune Air took over, Air Asia operated only 2x B737-300. It's First Class on their B737-300 was dubbed "Perdana Class". In the mid-90s, Air Asia flew to TPE from KUL via BKI on a daily basis. However the load was very bad, so TPE was suspended for good 2-3 years later. Air Asia once had very ambitious plan but after the "97 worldwide economy crisis, Air Asia focused only on domestic sector. In year 2001 and early 2002, Air Asia only flew to BKI (2x daily), KCH (2x daily) and LGK (1x daily), all from SZB T3. They also had regular charter flight to Subic Bay in Philippines at the time.

Air Asia's ticket was dirt cheap back then. A return air ticket between BKI/KUL was sold for ONLY RM555nett. MAS was charging RM699nett for the YEE30 ticket (later RM711nett). Air Asia also served better meal than MAS. Food portion on Air Asia also was slightly larger than MAS. Air Asia also had menu in economy class back then.

I flew Air Asia once a month between March 2001 to March 2002 to visit my dad who is working in KUL. Before March 2001 i had always travelled on MAS (YEE30 children ticket, just around RM350nett round-trip). Switched back to MAS when Tune Air took over.

Edited by Isaac

Air Asia once had very ambitious plan but after the "97 worldwide economy crisis, Air Asia focused only on domestic sector.

i think it wasn't because of the economy crisis. the whole idea of airasia was mooted by the late tan sri yahya ahmad, the former ceo of DRB-HICOM. after his untimely death in the freak crash in pahang. after that, the management was passed around from one to another, making it end up in serious debts.

i've met a few of them who are still with airasia now since the olden days. this was the story told me by them, but don't know how far was it true.

I can confirm that it is the old Air Asia (AK).

Before the Tune Air took over, Air Asia operated only 2x B737-300. It's First Class on their B737-300 was dubbed "Perdana Class". In the mid-90s, Air Asia flew to TPE from KUL via BKI on a daily basis. However the load was very bad, so TPE was suspended for good 2-3 years later. Air Asia once had very ambitious plan but after the "97 worldwide economy crisis, Air Asia focused only on domestic sector. In year 2001 and early 2002, Air Asia only flew to BKI (2x daily), KCH (2x daily) and LGK (1x daily), all from SZB T3. They also had regular charter flight to Subic Bay in Philippines at the time.

Air Asia's ticket was dirt cheap back then. A return air ticket between BKI/KUL was sold for ONLY RM555nett. MAS was charging RM699nett for the YEE30 ticket (later RM711nett). Air Asia also served better meal than MAS. Food portion on Air Asia also was slightly larger than MAS. Air Asia also had menu in economy class back then.

I flew Air Asia once a month between March 2001 to March 2002 to visit my dad who is working in KUL. Before March 2001 i had always travelled on MAS (YEE30 children ticket, just around RM350nett round-trip). Switched back to MAS when Tune Air took over.

agree with you! the food served by blue AK much better than MH. i still remember one of the dish served on BKI-KUL, the Indian curry chicken, so yummy! :lol:

btw, seems like my question still there, did blue AK operate MD-11 before? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blum.gif" alt=":p">

Correct me if I'm wrong about this.IIRC shortly before the '97 financial crisis, AK was in advance negotiation for a fleet of 763 (10?) to begin Mid East/European routes.
Yes, contemplating 763s or 310s.
btw, seems like my question still there, did blue AK operate MD-11 before? <_ src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_blum.gif" alt=":p">
Your question has been answered. AK did operate MD-11 for Haj charters ONLY.

Yes, fomed AK had operated all white MD-11 at 1998, and A few B742 & B743 the fellowing year. The regi MD-11 was (N278AW) aircraft from world Airways.

Your question has been answered. AK did operate MD-11 for Haj charters ONLY.

didn't realize that. THANKS. :drinks: