MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

FUEL FINES!

Has anyone managed to work out how much fuel fines, nicely termed 'fuel surcharges' by the airlines, add to your tickets?

A friend of mine just booked MEL-LHR using her QF FF points. The allegedly 'free' ticket costs up to AUD580 in airport taxes and fuel fines. :blink:

Another example - a round the world ticket where you're able to get any carrier participating in the product to issue your ticket. It costs about AUD700-900 more to plate my itinerary on CX, QF or BA (all impose fuel fines) than getting the exact same itinerary with identical flights issued through AA (no fuel fines). They add up a lot when you have a ticket with lots of segments like the round the world.

Fuel fines are charged segment by segment. I know for a fact that the issuing carrier will keep fuel fines raised from every single segment to themselves even though a lot of the other segments would be operated by other carriers participating in your itinerary. Yep apparently lots of fuel is consumed even without actually operating a flight. :rolleyes:

'Fuel surcharges' - euphemism for robbery! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Edited by Keith T

This is what MH is charging for taxes and fuel surcharges for a return trip, in Malaysian Ringgit.

HKG 259

NRT 573

DXB 590

IST 614

CPT 671

AMS 727

PER 749

CDG 749

SYD 792

LAX 879

LHR 976

If I recall correctly during my student days (1997-2003), tax etc for LHR used to be GBP40 or RM250-something for a return trip. Now it's a whopping RM976!!! :angry:

This is what MH is charging for taxes and fuel surcharges for a return trip, in Malaysian Ringgit.

HKG 259

NRT 573

DXB 590

IST 614

CPT 671

AMS 727

PER 749

CDG 749

SYD 792

LAX 879

LHR 976

If I recall correctly during my student days (1997-2003), tax etc for LHR used to be GBP40 or RM250-something for a return trip. Now it's a whopping RM976!!! :angry:

Taxes are ok. They are levied by the airport authorities for your usage of the airport facilities and are fairly transparent. But it's the ridiculous fuel surcharges I have a problem with. It's like pumping petrol into your car and preparing to pay whatever amount shows up on the reader when you're suddenly slugged with additional surcharges at check out.

Edited by Keith T

Unfortunately not all airlines are transparent about their taxes (of all sorts) and fuel surcharge, e.g. when booking online. MH for example, misleadingly show the fare breakdown = fare per passenger + tax per passenger, whereby "tax" is inclusive of (all sorts of) surcharges. No explicit mention of fuel surcharge is to be found. How exactly would I know where the RM976 to LHR goes to?

AK on the other hand breaks down the fare clearly. For a return flight KUL-Macau-KUL, the "tax + etc" breakdown is:

Airport tax RM85

Aministration fee RM38

Fuel surcharge RM132

Putting Keno's figures in percentages....

Airport tax 33%

Admin fee 15%

Fuel surcharge 52% :o

Edited by Tony

This is why to me all those RM 0.99 tickets by some airlines is just one big FARCE! :p :D

This is why to me all those RM 0.99 tickets by some airlines is just one big FARCE! :p :D

Isn't free tickets the biggest scam? :D

Thanks to the new legislation, no more "free" flights in Aus - published prices must include tax and surcharges. :lol:

i only know oz is the only place where prices must my all inclusive. elsewhere its still 'hidden' until u pay.

Mmmm... I can just imagine it:

0 dollar flights to London!

(p/s fuel fine of $300 per sucker)

Edited by Keith T

So the current cheap tickets sold by MH is non inclusive of fuel surcharges?

wah..

All the while all the airfares published in Malaysia by all airlines (local and foreign) has been exclusive of taxes and surchage. It's nothing new and people start to complaint right now is mainly due to the high 'fuel surcharge' imposed by all these airlines.

Unless government amend the law where all published price has to be in 'nett' basis (no more ++ by all these restaurants, hotels and airlines), there's nothing we could at the moment except being a smarter consumer.

I hate reading in the net and papers where they down sized the word "from", it always mean "expensive" to me if there's word "from", and the company need new technique to confuse readers, this one getting lame <_>