MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Edwin P K

Apple in deal to let iPod videos play on planes

Apple in deal to let iPod videos play on planes

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) said on Tuesday six major airlines will let passengers play video and music from their iPod digital devices on in-flight entertainment systems beginning in mid-2007.

Air France (AIRF.PA: Quote, Profile, Research), Continental Airlines (CAL.N: Quote, Profile, Research), Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research), Emirates (EMAIR.UL: Quote, Profile, Research), KLM (KLM.AX: Quote, Profile, Research) and UAL Corp.'s (UAUA.O: Quote, Profile, Research) United Airlines will begin offering their passengers iPod seat connections, which power and charge iPods during flight and allow the video content on the devices to be viewed on seat-back displays, Apple said.

Terms were not disclosed.

Apple has sought to expand the possible uses for its market-dominating iPod, including deals to build iPod ports into new-model cars. The announcement came as rival Microsoft Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) launched its Zune digital music player on Tuesday in a bid to challenge the iPod.

To date, Apple said it has sold nearly 70 million iPods and more than 1.5 billion songs through its iTunes music store.

Apple shares rose to $85.25 in premarket trading from its close of $84.35 on Monday on the Nasdaq.

Hmmm.....interesting, as this was denied yesterday by KLM after questioned by the news-media :blink:

Here a short press-release issued by ANP (Algemeen Nederlands Persbureau :pardon: ):

Apple integreert iPod aan boord van vliegtuigen

14-11-2006

KLM en Air France zeggen echter van niets te weten.

KLM reageerde echter verbaasd op de mededeling van Apple. “Het klopt dat er verkennende gesprekken zijn geweest maar de kans dat het niet doorgaat is nu veel groter dan dat het wel doorgaat'', zei een woordvoerder van de Nederlandse luchtvaartmaatschappij. Air France, het moederbedrijf van KLM, zou ook van niets weten. Bij Apple was niemand bereikbaar.

© Reismedia / ANP

Translation:

"KLM and Air France say, however, to know nothing (of the Ipod introduction).

KLM reacted surprised at the Apple announcement. It's indeed correct, there were probationary talks, but the chance of not implementing is bigger than that of going-ahead, said a spokesperson of the Dutch airline. Air France, parent of KLM, did not know anything either. At Apple no one was available (for comment)".

Ipods are now allowed inflight, I got to tell this to my friends. :D :D

One of my friends owns an Ipod Shufffe

Another one of my friends owns an Ipod Nano

:yahoo: :rofl:

Edited by Andrew Ong

Which means we can actually bring onboard the movie/MTV/music you want, a good news but i guess this is just a starting and nobody knows when this thing will kick into service.

Apple announced this week that it is partnering with Continental Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Emirates, KLM, United Airlines and Air France to enable passengers traveling with iPods to draw electrical power for the devices from onboard systems and permit iPod video content to be transmitted to seatback screens for playback. Apple said the service will be available by the middle of next year, but AF yesterday refuted the claim that connectivity soon will be installed on its aircraft. "Apple is a partner of Air France, but it is far too early to talk about a project such as this," the carrier said in a statement.

Sign in to follow this