MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seng Lim

Govt tell MAS & AK to reduce flights delays.

Departure time = Chocks (or Pieter's way of saying, Blocks) off

Take off time = Wheels off ground

Landing time = Wheels touch ground

Arrival time = Chocks on

Block time = Arrival time LESS Departure time

Taxying time = (1) Take off time LESS Departure time; (2) Arrival time LESS Landing time

If Taxying time is long, means aircraft is wasting time waiting on ground - possibly due to taxiway/runway/airspace congestion.

my experience sucked.

It's few years ago, when my grandma passed away. Being sort of an emergency, we opted for the FIRST flight out of Miri which happens to be AK. After that, they sent a text saying that the flight would be cancelled and retimed to around 11 midnight. WTF? as it was an emergency we bought a one way ticket to KL on MH.

AFTER THAT!

When its about time to come back, they sent us a sms saying exactly its retimed again. My dad has a meeting to rush in Miri hence we took MH back again.

thats about it, my closest experiece of delays with Air Asia... now everyone can fly and get retimed.

I haven't flown with AK myself but have booked two flights with them for travelling in December this year.

One of them KCH-SBW, I booked it in late July. A few days later the flight has been retimed from 2055hrs to 1810hrs.

The second one is KCH-JHB, booked the afternoon flight but realised a few days later the flight no longer exists. It was my sister who booked this flight so I won't be able to log on or find out what happen to this flight.

All I can say is - why the * put your ticket up for sale when you cant even decide on the schedule!? AK schedule keeps changing ALL the time especially on flights within Sarawak and between Sarawak and the Penisular.

Thank you too Tony - astounding as to what one can learn from these forums !

:p So remember, spotters, arrival time is not landing time. :lol: I used to think they're the same, just different names. :sorry:

:p So remember, spotters, arrival time is not landing time. :lol: I used to think they're the same, just different names. :sorry:

Exactly, guys, to make this more clear to you, I always 'use' the KLM system to my travels and look at the following AMS-OSL trip I've just made last friday:

Schedule AMS 0935 OSL 1125 (= 1 hour 50 mins) according the time-table.

Actual AMS offblocks 0945, airborne 1001, touchdown OSL 1122, onblocks 1125 (triptime = 1 hour 40 mins/ airtime = 1 hour 21 mins)...see the long taxy-time AMS (due take-off from 36L) ??? :huh:

I'm pissed off with the newspapers. Just read the Friday papers yesterday; on the front page, it was stated that MAS has 13% delay rate and Air Asia has 12%.

Fine until you read inside. MAS is about 15 minutes delay. Air Asia is about 30 minutes delay.

I think MAS has 0% delay if it is based on one week! I just can't remember whether it was The Star or NST since I read both. Really spoil my holiday mood.

Just had a thought - why not use arrival time as the yardstick for airline punctuality ? It is after all the 'end point' in the exercise.

A flight may leave on time, but may be forced to return/divert due to inadequate maintenance. Another flight may be late departing but make up for lost time enroute, arriving at destination on time.

Yeah, admittedly the zillions of factors at play in those scenarios will distort somehow. But as a pax, I can better appreciate arriving ! :)

BC,

Both departure and arrival times are important measures of airline punctuality. In fact, airlines take all sorts of readings/figures e.g. STA vs ATA, STD vs ATD, TOT, LT etc for punctuality analysis. Not only do they want to find out whether it's on-time or late, they also would like to know the causes of delays (long taxi times for example) and try to amend practices to solve the problem (and ultimately, to save $$$).

..... they also would like to know the causes of delays (long taxi times for example) and try to amend practices to solve the problem (and ultimately, to save $$$)

Ah, so I suppose all parties would then have the necessary statistics to sustain their finger pointing and counter finger pointing exercises in current blab over KLIA flight delays !! :)

Ah, so I suppose all parties would then have the necessary statistics to sustain their finger pointing and counter finger pointing exercises in current blab over KLIA flight delays !! :)

In a sense, yes. :rofl: For e.g. MH will blame KLIA at taxiway/runway congestions, and the ATC for not-so-efficient planning in terms of movements. KLIA will then blame ATC for the same reason and points the finger back at MH and say "you're late because of ground handling". And the argument goes on and on, that at the end of the day, nothing solved. :nea:

In a sense, yes. :rofl: For e.g. MH will blame KLIA at taxiway/runway congestions, and the ATC for not-so-efficient planning in terms of movements. KLIA will then blame ATC for the same reason and points the finger back at MH and say "you're late because of ground handling". And the argument goes on and on, that at the end of the day, nothing solved. :nea:

Since I'm doing nothing, here a scretch of finger pointing gonna be

>>> = blame

GOVERNMENT>>>MH & AK>>>KLIA>>>ATC>>>MH & AK>>>GROUND>>>SKYCHEF>>>late dilivery from MEAL PRODUCER>>>late TRUCK DRIVER>>>TRAFFIC JAMS>>>GOVERNMENT

Man, my mom is correct, life does go around :pardon:

Edited by Seth K

Sign in to follow this