MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Attan

Faded Photographs

Interesting story, Attan, about the Save AFB...

Guess, it was used to protect the Oresund and Kattegat between Sweden and Denmark ... B)

You're probably right, Pieter. I remember there were Soviet submarines trapped in the fjords of Norway too.

Gavin and Andrew, glad you found the pics interesting. More of them coming later.

Inside the Aeroseum were a few exhibits. This collection will probably grow as more people become aware of the newly-established museum.

IPB Image

PROBABLY AN ALOUETTE II

IPB Image

THE CONTROL TOWER OF SAVE AFB LOCATED UNDERGROUND

IPB Image

THE SAAB DRAKEN

IPB Image

THE MALAYSIAN PILOT OF THE DRAKEN :lol:

IPB Image

THE SAAB SAFIR - A LIGHT AIRCRAFT/TRAINER

IPB Image

A CLOSEUP LOOK AT THE SAFIR

Next Post - The Home Cockpit products on the market.

Attan, interesting picture from the undeground AFB... :good: how's the feel being in the Draken ?

Thank you for viewing, Kevin.

As you know, the Draken is rather old, so the cockpit only had "steam" gauges and unsophisticated acquiring, tracking, targeting and attack systems. To me it felt just like the other older cockpits I had sat in such as the Sabre and Aermacchi MB339.

To complete the Aeroseum story....

The Aeroseum was where the organisers of the Cockpit Builders Conference decided to hold the event. Most of the attendees were from Europe and a few from the USA. The key speakers were the manufacturers of the cockpit components and software. There was also a Microsoft Flight Simulator engineer who took notes of what cockpit builders wanted. He also gave an insight into future features in FS.

IPB Image

THE FMC FOR B737 BY FLIGHTDECK SOLUTIONS

IPB Image

THE FMC FOR THE B767 BY FLIGHTDECK SOLUTIONS

IPB Image

THE MCP FOR THE B767 WITH THE MFD FRAMES SHOWN ABOVE IT (ALL BY FLIGHTDECK SOLUTIONS)

IPB Image

THE OVERHEAD PANEL FOR THE B767 BY FLIGHTDECK SOLUTIONS

IPB Image

THE GUY WITH ARMS FOLDED IS PETER COS WHO FOUNDED FLIGHTDECK SOLUTIONS

IPB Image

THE B737 MCP BY CPFLIGHT

The MCP by CPFlight is the first "ready-to-fly" cockpit panel module. Connect the USB jack to your PC, start FS and PM (Project Magenta) and crank the engines. There are now other modules available such as the EFIS and Radio panels.

IPB Image

THE GUY ON THE RIGHT IS CLAUDIO AZIMONTI, THE FOUNDER OF CPFLIGHT.

IPB Image

THE GUY WITH HIS LEFT ARM RAISED IS ENRICO SCHIRATTI, THE FOUNDER OF PROJECT MAGENTA.

Project Magenta is the most widely-used software for home cockpit simulators. Enrico has designed cockpits for Hollywood movies and recounted how he was commissioned by a Middle Eastern ruler to set up a complete B747 cockpit in the royal palace.

IN MY NEXT POST ----- THE KLUANG AIR CARNIVAL

Perghh~@!!! I miss Something here... Cool Stuff there Capt. Attan.

More More More~!!!! :yahoo:

THE KLUANG AIR CARNIVAL

Kluang is a small town of about 150,000 people and probably more known for its Kluang Railway Station bread and coffee. However less than a mile out of the town is a military complex which houses various units of the Malaysian Army, an RMAF helicopter training school and a grass airstrip.

An air carnival was held at the RMAF station a few years back and two aircraft from the RSFC participated as well as an aerobatic "team" from CTRM, the manufacturer of the Eagle 150 aircraft. The "team" comprises of former RMAF fighter pilots who individually are individually employed in various private corporations. They would practise a day before or even a few hours prior to their performances but still manage to put on impressive displays. Over the last few years they have performed in most Asean countries by invitation. The "team" would comprise three to six aircraft depending on availablity of pilots.

As Kluang is a military airstrip, one can only operate into it by invitation. Below are some pics of the maneouvres by the Eagle 150's.

IPB Image

RSFC AIRCRAFT READY TO TAKE SPECTATORS UP FOR JOY RIDES

IPB Image

LOW PASS

IPB Image

ECHELON RIGHT

IPB Image

A SOLO PERFORMANCE

IPB Image

C172'S AND EAGLES

IPB Image

HORIZONTAL BOMB BURST

IPB Image

TWO EAGLES BREAKING AWAY

IPB Image

RE-FORMATING IN THE DISTANCE

NEXT POST - SOLO (OR SURAKARTA)

Norman, this was in 2003 (August, I think). Off and on, similar carnivals were held in Kota Baharu, Johor Bahru, Penang, Perlis and Sitiawan, if you remember from our MVPG days.

Yes... MVPG was in Perlis-twice, Malacca-twice and Penang-once. But not in Kluang

Johor Bahru, Sitiawan or Kota Bharu.. :sorry:

Hmmm... busy with the sim, missed most of the airshows.. :pardon:

Most memorable when our friend, the Police Airwing's PC6 pilot

(won't mention name here.. :pardon: )... try out our simulator

load up the PC6, tried a few aerobat, & also beta-ranged the prop

on approach in the sim (my favourite angle of attack... -60deg),

and land. Then he walked out to his machine (the real one)

and did exactly the same for the crowds... wow. :blink:

hopefully you still have some of the photos...

Me?... I wasn't into photography yet..

or rather was taking a long break from the hobby.. :rolleyes:

Norman

From what I can retrieve, there are a few pics of the Perlis Fly-In (can't remember what year it was :blink: ). We were inside the "simulator room" all the time and missed the real flying going on outside :( Here are three of them (I don't have bigger pics than these :pardon: ):

IPB Image

DEMO BEING GIVEN TO A SPECTATOR

IPB Image

THE MVPG MEMBERS WHO MADE IT TO PERLIS

IPB Image

THE REGENT OF PERLIS AND HIS CONSORT POSING WITH MVPG MEMBERS

Thanks for the photos, Capt :good:

The year 2003, iirc... The Regent of Perlis tried his "DiRaja One" B738 :lol:

First time in Perlis, 2001... The King was there... :D

IPB Image

DEMO BEING GIVEN TO A SPECTATOR

Baaaahhhhhhh Norman, shirt with epaulette looks real smart on you !!! :o :good:

Baaaahhhhhhh Norman, shirt with epaulette looks real smart on you !!! :o :good:

:drinks: Look Like A Real Kapitan maaa... Perghhh~!!!

Fuhh~!!! Malaysia Flight Simmer Before realy Rock~!!! Style aaaaa... Hebat maaa...

Why I Don't see any of you guyz there went i was there... Hurmm.... :p

Thank Attan for open up your photo albums... Fuhh~!!! Such a nice old picture. :good:

:rofl: :rofl: Seasoned 747 Captain :rofl: :rofl:

Do I looked like that?? More like a PanAm's Connie Checkride Captain :blush: :rofl:

Who ever took thak pic should be banned from holding any image capturing device :rofl: :rofl:

Yeah... TK.. that's me :pardon:

Pieter... That's MVPG's uniform while on official demo tour in air carnivals.. :lol:

4-Bar for those who supposed to have completed their ATP checkrides

Brahim... We were there, in the only room with air-cond in the Sg Batu Pahat Airstrip..

How come you missed the place :pardon:

BTW... anybody spotted a famous local musician/composer/song writer in some of the pics?? :rolleyes:

IPB Image

THE REGENT OF PERLIS AND HIS CONSORT POSING WITH MVPG MEMBERS

haa... second guy from left, the one and only Mr. Fauzy Marzuki :good: . Send my regards to him...

-cheers-

SOLO

One of the two oldest cities in Java (the other being Jogjakarta), Solo has many historical sites dating back to the Mataram Dynasty which moved there from East Java in the 17th century. A two-hour drive southwestwards takes one to Jogjakarta (or Jogja in short), a large city with many more historical sites. Solo is also known by its old name Surakarta.

IPB Image

THIS IS THE LARGEST SHOPPING MALL IN SOLO.

IPB Image

THIS MARKET SELLS FRUITS AND FOODSTUFF BUT MOST OF THE STALLS SELL THE WELL-KNOWN BATIK UNIQUE TO SOLO.

IPB Image

JL SLAMET RIYADI - THE MAIN STREET OF SOLO.

There are two sultans descended from the Mataram kings and they both have their own palaces (called "kraton" or "puro"). The Puro Mangkunegoro is open to the public but is smaller than the other sultan's Kraton Kasunanan. Below are pictures of Puro Mangkunegoro. The lead actress of the Malaysian movie/stage musical "Puteri Gunung Ledang" spent a few months there learning how to live as a princess including how to perform the royal dances.

IPB Image

A VIEW OF THE ENTRANCE TO THE KRATON AS SEEN FROM INSIDE. The entrance is below the painted wing. To the right are the stables (now garages).

IPB Image

THE PAVILLION WHERE ALL THE ROYAL CEREMONIES ARE CARRIED OUT. There are four different "gamelan" groups, each with its own unique sounds, performing for different ceremonies. A stage inside the pavillion is for "wayang kulit" (traditional puppet theatre) shows. The pavillion also has a museum, meditation rooms and a hall for the Sultan to meet his subjects. The royal quarters are in separate buildings to the back, left and right of the pavillion.

IPB Image

THE FACADE TO THE PAVILLION ENTRANCE WITH THE ROYAL COAT OF ARMS.

IPB Image

THE DECORATED CEILING OF THE PAVILLION.

IPB Image

ONE OF THE CHANDELIERS IMPORTED FROM THE NETHERLANDS.

MORE OF SOLO IN THE NEXT POST.

THE PURO MANGKUNEGORO (continued)

IPB Image

THE LIONS GUARDING THE PAVILLION.

IPB Image

THE LOUNGE FOR VISITORS.

IPB Image

AN ANTIQUE DUTCH CABINET CONTAINING SILVERWARE.

IPB Image

THE DINING ROOM FOR VISITORS.

IPB Image

THE PRIVATE DINING ROOM.

IPB Image

ANOTHER VIEW OF THE PRIVATE DINING ROOM.

IPB Image

THE OTHER SULTAN'S PALACE - KRATON KASUNANAN.

IPB Image

MOUNT MERAPI AS SEEN ON THE WAY TO JOGJA.

The road journey to Jogja from Solo took two hours. Lava was flowing down one side of the volcano. The smoke and dust exiting the crater made the volcano hardly visible. Some villagers living on the slope had perished.

NEXT POST - JOGJA

JOGJAKARTA (OR YOGYAKARTA OR JOGJA)

A historical city dating back to the Mataram Kingdom (1575 - 1640), Jogja now has a population of more than 3.3 million. It claims to have the largest number of universities in Indonesia (453 according to my guide) and was the centre of the country's fight for independence.

Visitors to Jogja usually shop for batik and handicraft and visit the famous ancient temples at Borobodur (Hindu/Buddhist) and Prambanan (Hindu). Borobodur is located northwest of Jogja while Prambanan is to the northeast of the city. Two huge volcanoes flank the cities of Jogja and Solo - Mt Merapi (9,737ft) and Mt Lawu (10,700ft).

IPB Image

MALIOBORO STREET, THE MAIN SHOPPING STREET.TEN DAYS AFTER THIS PICTURE WAS TAKEN,

A MASSIVE EARTHQUAKE HIT THE CITY.

IPB Image

SALAK FRUIT FROM THE BOROBODUR AREA IS REPUTED TO BE THE BEST-TASTING IN THE COUNTRY.

IPB Image

APPROACH ROAD TO THE BOROBODUR TEMPLE).

IPB Image

THE CLIMB TO THE TEMPLE.

IPB Image

THE FRONT VIEW OF THE TEMPLE. CONSTRUCTION BEGAN IN 778AD AND WAS COMPLETED IN 825AD.

IPB Image

A CORNER VIEW OF THE TEMPLE.

IPB Image

REAR VIEW OF THE TEMPLE.

IPB Image

CLOSEUP OF A CORNER OF THE TEMPLE.

NEXT POST - LOROJONGGRANG TEMPLE IN PRAMBANAN

[IPB Image

AN ANTIQUE DUTCH CABINET CONTAINING SILVERWARE.

IPB Image

ANOTHER VIEW OF THE PRIVATE DINING ROOM.

Attan,

Great pictures from Indonesia - ya ;)

These pictures above almost feel like 'home sweet home' :rofl: :yahoo: