MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Klia express

Today I received an email from KLIA Express"

"Dear customer

ERL is studying the feasibility of offering a new check-out service to passengers travelling to Kuala Lumpur, enabling customers the option to collect their bags at KL Sentral instead of at KLIA Terminal 1 (KLIA T1).

We would be grateful if you could spare a few minutes to give us your valued opinions on the survey.

Please share your response by 15 April 2024. Thank you for your participation."

There was a link to a basic survey with about 5 or 6 questions. Ive always found it odd that the Sentral station was built to receive luggage but to my knowledge it was never used.

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Ive always found it odd that the Sentral station was built to receive luggage but to my knowledge it was never used.

Malaysian version of forward planning ... 😁

32 minutes ago, BC Tam said:

Malaysian version of forward planning ... 😁

haha if only...

Slightly off topic but on a FB group and local land transport group were the lack of planning and forward thinking at an LRT station considering that a new adjacent bus terminal is opening soon. Seems that there is only 1 escalator up, stairs down and a single 5 person lift.
Good luck with that 

KL Sentral with the entrances for Transit and Express far apart is confusing for many but not really fixable.

Edited by Robert

On 4/9/2024 at 2:14 PM, Robert said:

Slightly off topic but on a FB group and local land transport group were the lack of planning and forward thinking at an LRT station considering that a new adjacent bus terminal is opening soon. Seems that there is only 1 escalator up, stairs down and a single 5 person lift.
Good luck with that 

KL Sentral with the entrances for Transit and Express far apart is confusing for many but not really fixable.

Which station is that if I may ask? I am curious if this is due to the cost cutting by then unpopular Finance Minster, who of all things, cut the connected paid interchange at Ampang Park between Kajang and Kelana Line. And cut the mostly underground MRT 3 project which was projected to cost less than what the current mostly above ground MRT 3 will cost.

I am trying to remember if the Express and Transit is actually on the same track but just further up for the Transit at KL Sentral. If only they planned more platforms at KL Sentral instead of a mall next to it! Would be helpful of "ERL" change their name or at least the logo so it has a plane next to it. Non Malaysia residents would have no idea what ERL meant when they are on a public transit in KL, especially when arriving at KL Sentral/Muzium Negara it will just announce "change here for the ERL". And maybe put up signs on the train which terminal to alight for which airline. I have so many things that I'd like to change for KL transit that doesn't cost a lot of money, like getting rid of "MRT/LRT". Just the name of the line will do.

And where would passengers pick up their bags at KL Sentral 😅 I remember it was built as a check out facility too with the IATA code "XKL" but how do passengers clear customs then?

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Which station is that if I may ask? I am curious if this is due to the cost cutting by then unpopular Finance Minster, who of all things, cut the connected paid interchange at Ampang Park between Kajang and Kelana Line. And cut the mostly underground MRT 3 project which was projected to cost less than what the current mostly above ground MRT 3 will cost.

Gombak - https://www.facebook.com/groups/mlptf/permalink/2767129700111228/

1 hour ago, Craig said:

I am trying to remember if the Express and Transit is actually on the same track but just further up for the Transit at KL Sentral. If only they planned more platforms at KL Sentral instead of a mall next to it! Would be helpful of "ERL" change their name or at least the logo so it has a plane next to it. Non Malaysia residents would have no idea what ERL meant when they are on a public transit in KL, especially when arriving at KL Sentral/Muzium Negara it will just announce "change here for the ERL". And maybe put up signs on the train which terminal to alight for which airline. I have so many things that I'd like to change for KL transit that doesn't cost a lot of money, like getting rid of "MRT/LRT". Just the name of the line will do.

And where would passengers pick up their bags at KL Sentral 😅 I remember it was built as a check out facility too with the IATA code "XKL" but how do passengers clear customs then?

hey use the same tracks with the Express switching left upon arrival and the Transit taking the middle 2 platforms. The Express then pulls forward into a headshunt and then reverses to the departure platform. 

Yes I find LRT/MRT messy and they should create simple names for them.

As for the location of the arrival area it's on the right as you exit the KLIA Express barriers into the KL Sentral arrival hall. Not sure that it was ever used or even fitted out and 2 mins on google hasn't found any pics. Now i'm curious I will keep looking.    

2 hours ago, Robert said:

That's supposed to be the new TBS but for north/east departures instead 😱

1 hour ago, Robert said:

hey use the same tracks with the Express switching left upon arrival and the Transit taking the middle 2 platforms. The Express then pulls forward into a headshunt and then reverses to the departure platform. 

Yes I find LRT/MRT messy and they should create simple names for them.

As for the location of the arrival area it's on the right as you exit the KLIA Express barriers into the KL Sentral arrival hall. Not sure that it was ever used or even fitted out and 2 mins on google hasn't found any pics. Now i'm curious I will keep looking.    

It's the same tracks from KL Sentral and south but yes I haven't taken the Transit in a long time to know where it drops off or picks up. I just see the Transit sign near the Nu Sentral escalators (if you miss the Express, you literally can't just hop on the next Transit, which is dumb).

Malaysia tries to reinvent the wheel but fails almost all the time, like KUL Terminal 1 and 2 is so much better than KLIA 1 and KLIA 2. Passengers won't care if they are on LRT/MRT, they just know that it's a train. But keep KTM separate because that's suburban rail. And maybe monorail too. A useful line but it's slow with long headways.

That area above escalators and ticket barriers is tiny. Can't imagine people waiting for their bags there (and if bags aren't there on time, it's not exactly the most pleasant area in KL Sentral to wait).

2 hours ago, Craig said:

That's supposed to be the new TBS but for north/east departures instead 😱

Indeed it is and it opens soon. The left and right hands don't know what they each other is doing. 

Sort of reminds of the Bangkok airport train to Phaya Thai. You have to lug cases up and down stairs to get to the Skytrain.

54 minutes ago, Robert said:

Sort of reminds of the Bangkok airport train to Phaya Thai. You have to lug cases up and down stairs to get to the Skytrain.

I used to get off at Makkasan. That was no man's land back in the day. No taxis and can't get to the MRT station next to it. But BKK is another one with MRT/BTS/Skytrain naming system 🤣 and they have a different fare system.

Sign in to follow this