MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Naim

CHRONOLOGY-Recent major air crashes

I may sound like a sicko, but a bad crash on Malaysian soil is probably not too far away - law of averages. :o

.ny

+++

CHRONOLOGY-Recent major air crashes

03 May 2006 06:13:01 GMT

Source: Reuters

May 3, 2006 (Reuters) - An Armenian Airbus A-320 carrying 113 passengers and crew crashed in the Black Sea near the south Russian seaside resort of Sochi, killing all on board.

Following is a chronology of some major air crashes in the last three years.

Feb. 19, 2003 - An Iranian military plane crashes near Kerman in southeastern Iran. Iran said all 276 aboard were killed.

March 6, 2003 - An Algerian flag carrier Boeing 737-200 crashes shortly after take-off from Tamanrasset airport, killing 103 passengers and crew.

July 8, 2003 - A Sudan Airways Boeing 737 crashes after take off near Port Sudan on a flight to Khartoum, killing 104 passengers and the crew of 11. A two-year-old boy was the only survivor.

Jan 3, 2004 - A Paris-bound Egyptian Boeing 737 operated by Flash Airlines crashes into the Red Sea off the resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, killing all 148 passengers and crew.

Feb. 3, 2005 - An Afghan airliner crashes into a mountain near Kabul, killing all 105 people on board. The Boeing 737 was operated by Afghanistan's only private airline, Kam Air.

Aug. 2, 2005 - An Air France Airbus bursts into flames after overshooting the runway while landing at Toronto's Pearson International Airport in a storm. All 309 passengers and crew survive.

Aug. 14, 2005 - A Helios Airlines Boeing 737 crashes in the area of Kalamos, 30 km (19 miles) north of the Greek capital, Athens, killing all 121 passengers and crew on board.

Aug. 16, 2005 - A West Caribbean Airways MD-80 aircraft crashes near Venezuela's border with Colombia, in the Sierra de Perija mountains. All 160 passengers and crew were killed.

Sept 5, 2005 - A Mandala Airlines Boeing 737-200 crashes just after take off near Medan, in northern Sumatra. 102 people on board were killed as well as 47 others on the ground. Fifteen passengers in the tail section survived.

Oct 22, 2005 - A Nigerian Bellview Airlines Boeing 737-200 airliner with 111 passengers and six crew crashes shortly after take off from Lagos in Lissa, about 30 km (20 miles) north of Lagos. All aboard were killed.

Dec 10, 2005 - A Nigerian Sosoliso Airlines DC9 flight from Abuja carrying 110 passengers and crew crashes on landing in the oil city of Port Harcourt and bursts into flames, killing 106. Four people survived the crash, whose cause was unknown.

May 3, 2006 - An Airbus A-320 of the Armenian airline Armavia, carrying 113 passengers and crew from Yerevan to the Russian seaside resort Sochi, crashes in the Black Sea while trying to land in bad weather, killing all on board.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L03437198.htm

Plenty of 737 crashes involved :o

Plenty of those flying around Malaysia :huh:

Naim,

Let's hope and pray your 'law of averages' come not true !!!

Let's hope and pray your 'law of averages' come not true !!!

The 'law of averages' is how the Cosmos works - beyond me :D. Read more here.

Anyway, look at these Malaysian accidents: http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Country=9M

So probabilistically, are we due for a biggie anytime soon?

I also wonder, do they re-use reg of crashed planes?

.ny

Let just hope there will be no more aircraft crashes with lots of live perished..... -_-

WOW ! The BI accident near MYY is new to me, never heard of that. Thanks for the list, Naim :)

Anyway, look at these Malaysian accidents: http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Country=9M

Thanks for the list, indeed, Naim: just look at the Twin Pioneer in 1967 :o :o :o : almost every month one went down :o :o :o

From that list,

http://aviation-safety.net/database/dblist.php?Country=9M

There was a C-130 Hercules crashed at SBW old airport.Here's the detail from that link:

Date: 25 AUG 1990

Type: Lockheed C-130H Hercules

Operator: Tentera Udara Diraja Malaysia

C/n / msn: 4674

Year built: 1976

Crew: Fatalities: / Occupants:

Passengers: Fatalities: / Occupants:

Total: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants:

Airplane damage: Written off

Phase: Unknown

Nature: Military

Departure airport: ?

Destination airport: ?

Narrative:

Crashed.

During that incident,i was 4 years old when i hear about that incident.When i've went to the old SBW airport,the tail of the C-130 could be seen.But today,it's no more,after the old airport was closed.

Sad News Tamizi, but after some calculation, ur 20 years old!

Yup,i know about it,and it was happen when i was 4.