MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Malaysia’s air force grounds ancient S-61 ‘Nuris’

The Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) has grounded 12 Sikorsky S-61A ‘Nuri’ transport helicopters, citing maintenance woes.

In a 7 January press briefing, RMAF chief general Ackbal Samad said the type is too costly to maintain, and it can take nine to 18 months to obtain spare parts, according to national news agency Bernama.

More: https://www.flightglobal.com/malaysias-grounds-ancient-s-61-nuris/136036.article

Should have ground them long ago, flying coffin for our poor servicemen. Too many of them have died. The government should invest the RM4.5 billion meant for government vehicle fleet to replace these Nuri's. National defence should be priority.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/01/554529/rmaf-phases-out-ageing-nuri-fleet

Edited by JuliusWong

Malaysia is not like UK or Australia - we are bad at maintenance and upgrades. The US can maintain and upgrade their B52s so that three generations in the same family can fly them! I think they should just scrap the Nuris and get more of the EC-725/Airbus H225M.

33 minutes ago, flee said:

Malaysia is not like UK or Australia - we are bad at maintenance and upgrades. The US can maintain and upgrade their B52s so that three generations in the same family can fly them! I think they should just scrap the Nuris and get more of the EC-725/Airbus H225M.

There is a difference between USAF maintanining B-52 for three genrations vs Malaysia maintaining Nuris since B-52 were made in USA and access for parts and services are much easier compared to us. Plus they have hundreds (744 to be exact, few crashes here and there, give take 700+) of B-52 made, a lot of them mothballed to maintain the current active fleet flying. Those mothballed can be reactivated at any given time. Unless Malaysia starts developing its own defence industry, we will forever rely on foreign countries to sell us their defence weapons, systems and jets etc. Singapore has developed this very well and are now exporting their products and service. They are even exporting warships.......

2 hours ago, flee said:

I think they should just scrap the Nuris and get more of the EC-725/Airbus H225M.

The ec725 are on worldwide restricted grounding for gear and rotor design issue. Awan inspirasi oil n gas ops went to a halt because of this. Westar is lucky as they have Agusta Westland helicopters to continue.

Talks underway to replace Nuri helicopters, says defence minister

KUALA LUMPUR, Jan 10 ― The Defence Ministry is in discussion to identify new assets to replace the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF) Nuri helicopters, which services had been discontinued.  

Defence Minister Mohamad Sabu said talks were still at the ministry level, and once concluded, proposals for the new assets will presented to the Cabinet. 

“Suggestions for the Nuri replacement are still in discussions at the ministry level and will be later presented to the Cabinet.

“We (Defence Ministry) have the allocations and for the initial stage, possibly (helicopter operations) through lease,” he told reporters at the launch of a charity sale collaboration between the Malaysian Armed Forces Veterans Foundation and bubble tea operator Chatime in conjunction with the Warriors Fund 2019 campaign here today. 

More here:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2020/01/10/talks-underway-to-replace-nuri-helicopters-says-defence-minister/1826806

They are considering to lease awan inspirasi and MHS super pumas now, which are originally grounded. Great, dump a dubbed " flying coffin " for another "real flying coffin". Great just great... do remember 1 of the years, i believe it was 2/3 years ago. Non of our RMAF super cougars aka EC725 took part in national parade, due to worldwide grounding. Heard, their ops hours / battle readiness are now also very limited due to extensive engineering inspection requirement... exactly like B787s. And we go and dump the Nuris... I give up Sirs. All the best. Cheers 🤐 The super cougars/ civilian Super pumas were the airline version of 737MAX ! And now they are the equivalent to 787 unreliability...fingers crossed. Personally, I know a number of ex awan inspiradi super puma pilots... guess what? The younger co pilots are doing their license conversion for fix wing as we speak. And RMAF considering to lease those choppers now.

Edited by Guest

Oh yeah on another note. RMAF used to operate x2 classic Pumas in the early 90s. If yall recall they lost 1 puma due to complete rotor separation on Dec 1993. The chopper was otw to pick up the then Deputy PM. Given the black history of eurocopter puma, super puma & super cougar... i wonder why RMAF opt to buy them. They look good yes, but given me a choice to fly on a puma vs a 737max. 737max anytime buddy. Sad thing, RMAF should have went for the S-92!

Edited by Guest

Hey oil rig workers even made a petition and demonstration not to fly on the Super Pumas... Also talked to x2 ex nuri pilots, both my friends, they have complete confidence in the bird over Super pumas. Guess whos the real flying coffin now? But of course to get replacement parts for Nuri is a daunting task... very limited. I believe it was political, that they chose the french equipment. Like i said, to me it was a grave mistake they didn't take the S-92.

Edited by Guest

Since we have no choice at the moment, for immediate heli support. The lease or buy option from civilian are as below:

Current EC225LP of MHS Aviation:
1 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPI
2 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPE
3 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPF
4 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPG
5 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPH

There are also x4 AS332 of MHS aviation that is still for sale.
1 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPD
2 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPC
3 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L1 9M-STV
4 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPB

Ex-awan inspirasi EC225LP,  seems that 2 of the ex awan inspirasi EC225LP are probably still in Miri. Both has been re-registered as...
1 EC225LP ex-9M-AIM now N225XT
2 EC225LP ex-9M-AI0 now N225RT

Expensive deal for not getting proper S-92 in the beginning... now gotta make do with the Puma family then. Wonder how long these Super Pumas have been stored. Perhaps since the great " puma embargo "... might be up in the air soon. Repainted TUDM.

Edited by Guest

On 1/11/2020 at 6:39 AM, Silverfly07 said:

Since we have no choice at the moment, for immediate heli support. The lease or buy option from civilian are as below:

Current EC225LP of MHS Aviation:
1 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPI
2 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPE
3 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPF
4 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPG
5 MHS AVIATION BHD EC225LP 9M-SPH

There are also x4 AS332 of MHS aviation that is still for sale.
1 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPD
2 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPC
3 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L1 9M-STV
4 MHS AVIATION BHD AS332L2 9M-SPB

Ex-awan inspirasi EC225LP,  seems that 2 of the ex awan inspirasi EC225LP are probably still in Miri. Both has been re-registered as...
1 EC225LP ex-9M-AIM now N225XT
2 EC225LP ex-9M-AI0 now N225RT

Expensive deal for not getting proper S-92 in the beginning... now gotta make do with the Puma family then. Wonder how long these Super Pumas have been stored. Perhaps since the great " puma embargo "... might be up in the air soon. Repainted TUDM.

The two Awan Inspirasi EC225 have been ferried to Manila as far as I know. 

1MDB sucked a lot of money out of our coffers and the whole of Mindef is affected, just like other ministries. So who should be prioritized?

Sign in to follow this