MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
S V Choong

Former airport of Jakarta - Kemayoran Airport

I went to Jakarta last month and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kemayoran area. I looked at the area and found out this area which appeared to be rather green and different from the slump housing around Jakarta and suspected it looked like an airport.

Kemayoran_01.jpg

To my surprise, it was the site of the former international airport of Jakarta (IATA code: JKT) and the name was Kemayoran International Airport. Just thought I would share with those of you who are interested. In Bahasa Indonesia, the word airport seems to be "Bandar Utara" or "Bandara" for short.

The following site is useful for those who read Bahasa Indonesia - Kemayoran: Apa Kabar Sekarang

http://www.kaskus.co.id/thread/529954acf8ca17f514000187/bekas-bandara-kemayoran--apa-kabar-sekarang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemayoran_Airport

The airport was opened in 1940 and lauded to be the most advanced airport in the East. The airport was closed in 1985 after the opening of Soekarno-Hatta International Airport (CGK) to the far west of the city.

Kemayoran_02.jpg

kemayoranlandscape.jpg

kemayorancomparison.jpg

Kemayoran airport had two intersecting runways, the apron area is rather small. The old terminal building is still there but in state of neglect. After the closure of the airport - the land has been made available for development. The runways have become major roads - Jalan Benyamin Suaeb and Jalan HBR Motik. There are now golf course, retail shopping mall, factories, offices and etc. within the vicinity of the old airport.

kemayoranbldg.jpg

Wonder if our senior members still remember this airport!

There is a youtube clip for this airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmubrx77u-A

Edited by S V Choong

It's actually "Bandar Udara" :D

But interesting info. Thanks for sharing.

Yes, Bandar Udara... not sure why I typed Bandar Utara (north)... :D

Just like I slipped my tongue when I was in Jakarta telling the locals I want to go to "Kepala Gading" district, instead of "Kelapa Gading" :p

I went to Jakarta last month and I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Kemayoran area. I looked at the area and found out this area which appeared to be rather green and different from the slump housing around Jakarta and suspected it looked like an airport.

Thanks !!! Didn't know this till today ... even though I've read the name so many times over during my childhood. Makes much more sense now :D (No access to Google in the early 90's)

Flight 714 - Adventures of Tintin

222230_bandara-kemayoran-tintin_663_498.

Thanks !!! Didn't know this till today ... even though I've read the name so many times over during my childhood. Makes much more sense now :D (No access to Google in the early 90's)

Flight 714 - Adventures of Tintin

222230_bandara-kemayoran-tintin_663_498.

No worries, Timothy. Guess in Dutch the J is Y sound, hence Kemajoran. J as Y are still used in a lot of Indonesian words today.

The old spelling of Jakarta, was 'Djakarta', it must be a silent 'D'? As in the English word 'hour', the H is pretty much silent.

Edited by S V Choong

Sign in to follow this