MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Gastro bug, vomiting outbreak strikes as Qantas plane lands at Sydney Airport from Santiago

I wouldn't want to be on this flight!

===

Gastro bug, vomiting outbreak strikes as Qantas plane lands at Sydney Airport from Santiago, Chile

News Limited Network

August 01, 2013 6:10PM

THIRTEEN hours in the air, eight toilets, and 26 passengers violently ill with gastroenteritis.

http://mobile.news.com.au/travel/news/vomiting-outbreak-at-sydney-airport/story-e6frfq80-1226689709887

Edited by Naim

Is it possible for the toilets to overflow? I assume it is designed to cope with more passengers than the plane can actually carry?

Actually, when did they become sick? Enroute from Santiago to Sydney the flight would have been over or near Auckland NZ, and if the pax were already sick, the crew should have made enroute diversion.

I have only experienced food poisoning once on a long-haul flight and it is an awful experience. Had probably eaten something not quite right the night before a UA flight from SYD to LAX. Wasn't feeling the best but didn't really have anything that would stop me from flying. 2 hours into the flight, the diarhhoea started and I literally spent half of the 14 hour flight in the toilet! To make matters worse, I had a 5 hour transit in LAX before a 5-6 hour flight to Orlando!! I was not in good shape when I arrived at my final destination...

My very first long haul flight (well, 7++ hours only), I got sick, shortly after I finished the dinner which contains beef, compounded with that, the cabin was quite cold and it was at night. Though, I also ate a lot while transiting at the airport few hours before that flight. Quite a hard lesson for me. My next long haul flight, I will try to avoid heavy meals at airports, and will try opt for inflight meals that consist of seafood products, preferably fish.

Sign in to follow this