MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
flee

Airbus Pushes Higher-Density A380 to Counter Luxury Image

web.jpg
Airbus SAS (EAD) is pushing airlines to view its A380 superjumbo as a high-density workhorse rather than a luxury flagship as it targets orders from mass-market carriers in countries such as China, Japan and Indonesia.
The European planemaker has begun pitching the double-decker as carrying 558 people, 33 more than the average stated for the past six years, and could add a further 30 berths by introducing 11-abreast seating in coach class. It’s also exploring ways of making the setup more responsive to seasonal variations in traffic.
“We’re working to optimize the aircraft, and that means giving airlines some ideas to move the capacity up,” Keith Stonestreet, the A380’s marketing director, said in an interview from Toulouse, France, where the jet is built.
Most early buyers splashed out on space and comfort, pigeonholing the jet as a high-end option and thwarting Airbus’s original vision for hundreds of A380s flying between major hubs. Top European carriers British Airways (IAG) and Air France (AF) have ordered only a dozen planes apiece while stocking up on smaller wide-bodies for point-to-point flying, and likely customers including PT Garuda Indonesia (GIAA) have yet to sign up.
Airbus is asking prospective buyers to consider adding an extra seat per row on the A380’s main deck in coach class, as well as other denser layouts that would cut unit costs and lift margins, Stonestreet said. Such configurations could work best on intra-Asian routes, trips between the Middle East and Indian subcontinent and on flights serving the Islamic Hajj pilgrimage.

11-abreast 380s... Can't be worse than 9-abreast 330s can they?

I wonder how long it will take to deliver all the bags from these super high density dugongs?

OMG. Can you just imagine 3x5x3 seating on the main deck! The airlines can start charging a fee for the aisle seats!!

I wonder how long it will take to deliver all the bags from these super high density dugongs?

And how long to pass through immigration and custom.. In some airports, you will probably have to set up camps if a few of those arrive at the same time.

Changi Airport still mandates the first bag must be on the belt no later than 12 minutes after chocks on, and last bag 20 minutes after chocks on.

And how long to pass through immigration and custom.. In some airports, you will probably have to set up camps if a few of those arrive at the same time.

Now people will start to appreciate Garuda's on-board immigration.

Time to consider ejection seats for selected portion to ease emergency evacuation.

I don't think Airbus' plans will attract LCCs - they prefer frequencies.

It may attract second or third tier carriers, if the finance terms can be made attractive. I can imagine airlines like Biman, Air India or PIA being interested in these high density configs as they do ferry loads of foreign workers from their countries.

I don't think Airbus' plans will attract LCCs - they prefer frequencies.

Not in the case of Ryanair.

It may attract second or third tier carriers, if the finance terms can be made attractive. I can imagine airlines like Biman, Air India or PIA being interested in these high density configs as they do ferry loads of foreign workers from their countries.

Airbus should pitch this hard to Mainland Chinese carriers. Never get those Chinese carriers' obsession with narrowbodied aircraft.

I like the idea that the A380 is a luxury aircraft and not a giant sardine tin.

Sign in to follow this