MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
alberttky

Visa Exemption for Malaysian Visitors to Japan

US$160 for 10yrs is a good deal, but make sure go every year! :)

I'm into my 3rd visa now.

My first US visa was an 'indefinite' one, no expiry, then 9-11 came along and it got cancelled. Dang!

1001773_667939136556123_726154168_n.jpg

Used to be 2 of them, now no more.

SG ppl can enter USA under the visa waiver program -- works like the Austalian ETA. Fee per application is US$14.

Wonder if it was because of overstayers or some Islamic extemeist that exists in the cirber of the country which could potentially endanger public safety in the US.

Or maybe electronic visa ala Australia right now? That would be even better.

That's the same as being in the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which requires electronic pre-travel authorization. I don't think it's impossible for us to be considered in the future as our visa refusal rate is relatively low (5% in 2012) though still above the 3% requirement. Our passports are also of the biometric type and that's a tick on the checklist. We're already part of the Guam Visa Waiver Program (Ok, I can't think of anyone I know of who wants to go there, but it's one step forward I guess)

Turkey, which is already being considered as a future member of the VWP has an 8% refusal rate in 2012. Hong Kong and Chile are already on their way to joining the program. Of course, I doubt the Americans can place that level of trust in Malaysia, in the foreseeable future at least. Not with the few bad apples around who spoil our entire image.

The real pain in the a** are the Canadians. It's bad enough they imposed visa requirements on us in 2002. Now it takes several weeks to get a visa, and you'll need to travel down to the republic to get it done!

Edited by Chris Tan

That's the same as being in the US Visa Waiver Program (VWP), which requires electronic pre-travel authorization. I don't think it's impossible for us to be considered in the future as our visa refusal rate is relatively low (5% in 2012) though still above the 3% requirement. Our passports are also of the biometric type and that's a tick on the checklist. We're already part of the Guam Visa Waiver Program (Ok, I can't think of anyone I know of who wants to go there, but it's one step forward I guess)

Turkey, which is already being considered as a future member of the VWP has an 8% refusal rate in 2012. Hong Kong and Chile are already on their way to joining the program. Of course, I doubt the Americans can place that level of trust in Malaysia, in the foreseeable future at least. Not with the few bad apples around who spoil our entire image.

The real pain in the a** are the Canadians. It's bad enough they imposed visa requirements on us in 2002. Now it takes several weeks to get a visa, and you'll need to travel down to the republic to get it done!

Malaysia will have to beef up the security at first. The current security practice in Malaysia is way too lenient compared to our neighbour Singapore. Malaysia was also once accused being a gateway for the terrorists, too, which is a shame.

Edited by Mike P

Love the old school visa where colour varies from top to bottom. Reminds me of my first ever Japan visa obtained in 1998.

132d9639-df3b-439a-8576-ff9af2a765a8.jpg

Edited by S V Choong

Official press release, effective 1st July 2013 exemption of Visas for Nationals of Malaysia

1. A visa exemption arrangement exists between Japan and Malaysia such

that nationals of Malaysia who meet relevant conditions may enter Japan

without obtaining a visa for a period of not exceeding three consecutive

months (short-term stay). Nevertheless, since 1993, based on a

consideration of the state of affairs at the time, the Government of

Japan began to encourage that nationals of Malaysia obtain a visa in

advance to enter Japan.

2. However, in celebration of the 40th Year of ASEAN-Japan Friendship

and Cooperation, the Government of Japan has decided that from July 1,

nationals of Malaysia in possession of ordinary IC passports who wish to

enter Japan for short-term stay will no longer be encouraged to obtain a

visa as noted above and will be able to visit Japan without one. In

making this decision, Japan is effectively restarting the measures to

offer visa exemptions for nationals of Malaysia with the intention of

entering Japan for short-term stay. The further development of

Japan-Malaysia exchange is expected as a result of the restart of the

visa exemption, including increases in the number of tourists from

Malaysia who visit Japan and the enhancement of the ease of business

transactions between the two countries.

Regardless of the above, the restart of visa exemptions shall apply only

to those with an ordinary IC passport. Nationals of Malaysia who do not

hold an ordinary IC passport continue to be encouraged to obtain a

visa.

Source: http://www.mofa.go.jp/press/release/press6e_000127.html

Finally this is now official. One less hassle for my trip to JP later this year.

Curious about "ordinary IC passport" - Aren't all new Malaysian passports now embedded with IC?

Finally this is now official. One less hassle for my trip to JP later this year.

Curious about "ordinary IC passport" - Aren't all new Malaysian passports now embedded with IC?

I think in this case, its Blue, not Red

Curious to know of they're granting 90 day stays like they do for most foreigners or 15 days ala Brunei.

I think it is still 90 days as per previous rulings.

Guys.. according to Visit Japan Now's Facebook.. Visa exemption is only for new biometric passports.. Old passports will still need to apply for Visa..

Taken from: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151475358931027&set=a.180969971026.137018.170108226026&type=1

Here's
additional news that you might want to take note with regards to the
visa exemption on Malaysian passports. For more enquiries, kindly please
contact the Embassy of Japan in Malaysia. Share this important news to
your friends.

1) It is currently ONLY available to the
Malaysian passports that are biometric passports. To check if your
passport is biometric or not, kindly please click on this link: http://www.my.emb-japan.go.jp/English/visit/06262013ppsampleE.pdf

2) If your passport isn't of the biometric type, you still have to apply for visa.

3)This visa exemption is only valid for 3 months. If you intend to stay
in Japan for more than 3 months, you have to apply for visa.

4)The visa exemption only takes place with effect from 1 July.

Sign in to follow this