MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Actual ILS CAT IIIB autoland and low visibility taxi at MXP (video)

Amazing that they could land in such bad weather (at 01:05) to find their way on the ground. Also funny seeing the fog cleared by the blast of the Korean 747 (at 03:10). :)

===

Many many years ago, flew into a fog enshrouded LGW before crack of dawn (not that daylight would have made any difference)

Pilot did announce it would be an 'automatic landing'

Not the slightest clue what was going on, till the thud of undercarriage hitting tarmac - one of the smoothest landing I ever experienced

Makes you wonder why they can't make these 'automatic landings' routine rather than exception due to weather :D

Makes you wonder why they can't make these 'automatic landings' routine rather than exception due to weather :D

1. Airport operations will have to go to CAT III mode, larger separations between aircraft.

2. Pilots won't be able to log it as their own landing.

Edited by alberttky

LVO or Low Visibilty Operation is more than just a larger separation between aircraft and YES, pilot (normally the commander) will log the landing as his/her own. Legally, it could be counted as part of 3 take off and landing recency in 90 days.

:hi:

Pilots must do practice autoland, 3 autoland in 180 days.

Don't be surprise that the landing that you experience in your flight,could have been an automatic landing.

My first experience with autolanding was, believe it or not, when I was in the flight deck of an MH 744, landing at DXB in the 90s. The captain said, let's do autolanding, and I couldn't see anything in front of the plane - it was typical desert weather, dusty - but the runway soon appeared. While taxiing on the ground, he turned to me and said, easy wasn't it? :D

Sign in to follow this