MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Ikman Ikreza

Changi Airport raises passenger departure tax by S$6

Changi Airport raises passenger departure tax by S$6

Travellers who are flying out of Changi Airport from 1 April will face an increase of S$6 in passenger service charge (PSC), said the Changi Airport Group (CAG).

The revision in fees will be applied to all air tickets purchased from November 1, CAG said in a press release on Friday.

Departing passengers will pay a total of $34, including the passenger security service charge (PSSC) of $8 and the aviation levy of $6.10.

The change will help to "fund new investments required to cater to growing passenger traffic" and "partially cover the increase in aeronautical operating costs", said CAG.

It was reported in February that a new and improved terminal -- to be known as Terminal 4 -- will replace Budget Terminal, which will be demolished on 25 September this year. In addition, a new multi-storey carpark will replace the current open air carpark in front of Terminal 1.

CAG also said that there will be "significant investment" in Changi's airside infrastructure, such as including new parking stands and taxiways throughout the airport as well as resurfaced runways and taxiways.

Safety at the airport will also be improved by replacing high tension cables, fire-protection systems and fire-fighting equipment. Existing lifts, travellators and escalators will be refurbished and the Flight Information Display System in Terminal 3 will also be replaced.

"With Changi Airport expected to serve an additional 10 million passengers per annum within the next five years, timely investment in terminal capacity is crucial in ensuring that Changi upholds its high levels of safety and security as well as continue to provide a world-class airport experience to its passengers," said CAG.

The last time Changi Airport raised its passengers fees was in 2009.

Source : http://sg.news.yahoo.com/higher-departure-tax-planned-for-changi-airport-passengers--.html

More Source : http://changiairportgroup.com/export/sites/caas/assets/media_release_2012/Media_Release_-_Revision_of_Passenger_Service_Charge_at_Changi_Airport.pdf

Wonder if we will see Tan Sri hurling abuse at CAG for imposing such a heavy financial burden on the flying rakyat :D

He has said that KLIA is their "home airport" - that is why he "cares" about it. SIN is not their home airport.

I think that the effect of any cost increases in KLIA is greater due to the volume of flights they operate out of the airport. It will impact their business more. However, at SIN, they are also mounting quite a lot of flights as this is their virtual hub - all AirAsia Group (bar AirAsia Japan) operate into SIN.

I think airlines are not so bothered about passenger airport tax - this is paid by the pax and does not affect the ticket prices that much. Nowadays the cost of fuel affects the price of the ticket more than airport tax!

Airlines are more concerned with landing and parking fees and all the various other costs associated with operating at an airport.

I think airlines are not so bothered about passenger airport tax - this is paid by the pax and does not affect the ticket prices that much. Nowadays the cost of fuel affects the price of the ticket more than airport tax!

Airlines are more concerned with landing and parking fees and all the various other costs associated with operating at an airport.

Flee, agreed but that's the point. Just curious why AK so bothered about aerobridge charge at KLIA2 and refused to used the aerobrigde if paid by the pax? :D

Edited by Ikman Ikreza

Flee, agreed but that's the point. Just curious why AK so bothered about aerobridge charge at KLIA2 and refused to used the aerobrigde if paid by the pax? :D

Because they can portray themselves as an airline for the people to Malaysian masses? I don't know, just the cynic in me talking.

Product differentiation, market segmentation?

Kansai LCCT in Osaka, Japan also does not have aerobridges. What the LCCs are telling its pax is that, u want cheap, u cannot expect everything that full fare airlines offer. Cuts have to be made to keep the fare low. They want the LCC pax to know that every element of cost is looked at and cut to the bone. So flying LCC is not going to be the same experience as flying legacy carriers.

But Air Asia did make a big fuss when MAHB did this just not so long ago. I remembered receiving an email from Air Asia regarding this, hoping passengers would protest.

But Air Asia did make a big fuss when MAHB did this just not so long ago. I remembered receiving an email from Air Asia regarding this, hoping passengers would protest.

Yes, I think it is because KLIA is their home airport - the airport that costs the most in their accounts. Also all of KLIA's fees went up at the same time - airport tax, landing fees, parking charges, staff car park charges, etc.

So they just used the airport tax as an excuse to mount a campaign to discredit MAHB as being uncaring to passenger needs.

Face it, Tan Sri is one immensely clever businessman with the guts to renege on yesterday's (perceived?) words if and when circumstances are opportune

While nit pickers like us are still debating what he may or not have meant when he allegedly said this or that so many moons away, the guy is in all probability already sewing up the next mega deal, to be made known to you and me only when ink has dried on the dotted lines :)

Salute !

Sign in to follow this