MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

China airports clear for take-off

When I was at Beijing airport last April, I counted more than 100 construction cranes dotting the area on the other side of the runway - construction of new facilities?

.naim

+++

China airports clear for take-off

IPB Image

Plans for a new international airport being built in Guangzhou

China's airport building boom is set to accelerate

China plans to spend 140 billion yuan ($17.4bn; £9.96bn) over the next five years on its airports as its expanding economy fuels demand for air travel.

The country predicts its fleet of airliners will reach 1,580 by 2010, up from the 863 flying currently.

This is expected to accelerate to 4,000 commercial jets by 2020.

Airports at Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou will be expanded to continue their roles as China's main hubs for passengers and cargo, China says.

Other airports earmarked for expansion include those in Shenzhen, Chengdu, Haikou and Xian.

"By 2010, the mainland will have about 186 airports, up from 142 currently," said Gao Hongfeng, vice-minister of the Civil Aviation Administration of China (CAAC).

Chinese airlines carried 138 million passengers last year, up 15.5% on the year, while the amount of air cargo carried grew by 13.8%.

According to the CAAC, passenger and cargo traffic will grow at an average of 14% each year until 2010, before slowing to an annual rate of 11% in the years running up to 2020.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4758358.stm

When I was at Beijing airport last April, I counted more than 100 construction cranes dotting the area on the other side of the runway - construction of new facilities?

Don't forget the upcoming Olympic Games: they'll need all the capacity they have (at that time)... ;)

Within China's Pearl River delta itself (Guandong province), there are 5 major airports within a 50km radius (Guangzhou, HK, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Macau). That area is the world's workshop for electronic goods/semiconductors/ICs where it is crucial to have reliable and fase delivery.

DHL is building its cargo/logistics hub there for Far east market. Whereas, the more established one especially HKIA/CLK is renewing/expanding better cargo facilities to meet demands.

Yes, they are building the Beijing Capital Airport Terminal 3, search my thread about this at MalaysianWings.

The new Baiyun airport of Guangzhou at Huadu has already been built and it is in operation since 2004.

I went to Ningbo (a city just south of Shanghai across a river), they have a new airport there. Then at Qingdao, they have a fairly recently renovated airport. Shanghai is currently building a mirror terminal building at Pudong airport.

Don't forget the upcoming Olympic Games: they'll need all the capacity they have (at that time)... ;)

---

My next flights:

DUS-HEL 09jun06 AB8920 (also visiting TLL)

HEL-DUS 11jun06 AB8921

Pieter, I notice you have an upcoming trip to HELL HEL. I was last there in the mid-90s. They still have the terminal with the wooden floor? I thought that was quaint. :rolleyes:

.naim

Pieter, I notice you have an upcoming trip to HELL HEL. I was last there in the mid-90s. They still have the terminal with the wooden floor? I thought that was quaint. :rolleyes:

.naim

Haven't been there for ages (>10 years)...will check and make pictures, if so, will publish some here; note: Finland is a large exporter of wood products, like furniture, but also paper...so, showing-off this floor is an excellent promotion for their wood-products... B)

Sign in to follow this