MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

MI to USM

I missed this last week… MI to fly SIN-USM

http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/content/corporate/newsflash/NF1001_13072011.jsp

This has got me thinking as to why don't MAS or Air Asia don’t fly there?

At the moment Malaysians are constrained to take either a FY or J8 slow turbo prop flight from SZB at a less than optimal schedule.

I missed this last week… MI to fly SIN-USM

http://www.silkair.com/mbe/en_UK/content/corporate/newsflash/NF1001_13072011.jsp

This has got me thinking as to why don't MAS or Air Asia don’t fly there?

At the moment Malaysians are constrained to take either a FY or J8 slow turbo prop flight from SZB at a less than optimal schedule.

Sending big planes, but no loads sounds lame

Might work on the ATR, but with full loads.....definitely will give good profit.

Been on FY flight, the fare is not cheap either!

I did read that Bangkok airways was supposed to be starting this route either this year or next. There is no reason why Samui wouldn't be as popular as Phuket IMHO

FY's fares to USM are not cheap. This is a private airport and the fees are a lot higher. This makes it less appealing for mass market tourists.

FY's fares to USM are not cheap. This is a private airport and the fees are a lot higher. This makes it less appealing for mass market tourists.

Just curious how much different the fees are?

Just curious how much different the fees are?

Well, the price can hit RM900 for a return trip including tax.

I bought my ticket in March for my May trip, and the cost was around RM700++ plus tax.

Koh Samui one of very beautiful and nice nature island at Thailand, no wonder MI decided fly to USM. Phi Phi island very fantastic.

Well, the price can hit RM900 for a return trip including tax.

I bought my ticket in March for my May trip, and the cost was around RM700++ plus tax.

I think it's more to do with a lack of competition than airport fees.

If you go to their website booking engine, you will see that the airport taxes and admin fees for USM is easily double those for SIN. You can also compare the airport taxes and fees on AK on routes to Phuket, Hatyai or Krabi.

Yes, part of the inflated cost is due to lack of competition. However, higher airport fees are also another factor that is causing USM flights to be less popular. Hotels in Koh Samui are also more expensive than those in places like Phi Phi Island.

For what is worth, Bangkok Air have long standing plans to start USM-KUL

Indeed they have... as mentioned above ;)

For what is worth, Bangkok Air have long standing plans to start USM-KUL

If I remember correctly, Bangkok Airways are the owners of Samui Airport.

From Bangkok Airways: http://www.bangkokair.com/en/about-us/company-profile.php

Bangkok Airways has also invested in building and maintaining its own privately-operated airports at Samui, Sukhothai, and Trat. These developments provide Thailand with more air transportation hubs to in order to facilitate increasing air traffic volume.

Sign in to follow this