MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Hafiz K

Opinion about lion air?

Hey guys, i just want to know everyone opinion about lion air. because i heard its in the list of air carriers banned in the European Union. any truth about this?

Yes. Very bad reputation with regards to safety. One of A.Net's most sought after trip reporter, Mr. Ryanair!!! never failed to mention about 'crash' whenever writing about JT. Forumers in Indoflyer joked about how many new B739ERs that JT will strike its tail with and JT's ground arrangement stories in airports in Indonesia are amusingly horrifying.

You can do a little research by browsing through the trip report section of A.Net and Indoflyer to get a feel about flying JT.

As someone who lived in Indonesia before, JT is in my NO NO NO list. There are a lot of better carriers - Sriwijaya, Batavia and of course, Indonesia AirAsia.

Flew on their 737-900..... it was one of the most uncomfortable flights ever! Their ground handling was useless, sent us running around CGK as they kept changing gates.

In indonesia, we called them as The King of Delay, always, in every flight, day and night. Their planes might be good ( the plane, not the interior) , but the services was awfully bad. They treated us as bad as the worst LCC carriers could give. And don't let me start about the seat pitch, they're really the king of tight seat pitch. Yes, there are a lot of better carriers in Indonesia, as Mr. ramli said, but for me, the best for its class ( LCC ) is CITILINK, the subsidiary of GA.

So far I don't feel that JT is the King of Delay or poor safety. I mostly take leisure travel (my own pocket money :sorry: ) in SEA on Air Asia aircraft (AK, FT, QZ) and the longest delay I encountered was on both flights SGN-CGK and CGK-SGN with Indonesia AirAsia during Xmas 2009. My family took return flights CGK-Bali (DPS)-CGK with JT and we boarded on-time. The seat-pich is not generous but better than other LCC's.

What made me think they are more safety-conscious was when I waited for taxi clearance and pushback, I saw the FO of a B739 which just arrived to the parking made an exterior inspection. He saw that 1 tyre of the left maingear is deflated and this was replaced in quite a short time (I took a dozen pics of that tyre change!). Another plus score IMHO is the timely announcement of weather condition en route live from the cockpit in Indonesian, excellent English and French! Both pilots are Indonesian. I later met the young FO and praised him. Perhaps it was my lucky day?

As an air spotter with radio scanner, I find the JT daily flights CGK-SIN-SGN and vice-versa keep good schedule records and the POB announced to ATC are always over 150 pax. This shows that the Vietnamese people who mostly fly to SIN had no suspicion about the airline safety.(FYI, there are 8 other daily flights from SQ, VN, Tiger and Jetstar)

Well, that's what i hate about JT, they used full-service for international flights only, and they don't really care about the service, especially domestic flights, what they care is the amount of passengers ( with a whooping 20 mil. psg. last year ) and of course, the amount of money. And they are still the king of delay IN INDONESIA, ugh, picky.

I recently posted this: http://www.malaysianwings.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=15999&st=0&p=280396&&do=findComment&comment=280396

On the SIN-CGK flights I found the service ok, just another LCC type of operation.

Delays - well the ex SIN sector seemed ok but the ex CGK flight was almost always delayed. I was once told the delay was due to the SIN airspace closing but when questioned they couldn’t explain why all the other carriers to SIN were taking off OK.

I've already mentioned the seats but they are so bad it’s got me started again. On my last flight I was told no emergency exit or bulkhead seats left however there was 1 seat and the crew took pity on me because I was clearly very squashed and moved me to it.

Despite its poor image, I actually thought it's pretty good flying Lion in 2008 on their brand new 739! Can't remember the details, but it wasn't one I would complain...

Well, for you who afraid to fly with Lion, you may want to reconsider it again, because the new B739 has just arrived this lately, it's special cause that plane was fitted with the new Being Sky Interior, just like in MH's B738, but the difference is, they don't have IFE AVOD in it. But, it's not a big deal considering that JT is LCC. But, for me, a new plane can't dissolve my doubtness about them.

Here is the interior photos from other forum:

Lion's Sky Interior

Well, for you who afraid to fly with Lion, you may want to reconsider it again, because the new B739 has just arrived this lately, it's special cause that plane was fitted with the new Being Sky Interior, just like in MH's B738, but the difference is, they don't have IFE AVOD in it. But, it's not a big deal considering that JT is LCC. But, for me, a new plane can't dissolve my doubtness about them.

Here is the interior photos from other forum:

Lion's Sky Interior

The issue is that the drivers and mechanics have often displayed questionable competence