MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Robert

Some thoughts on KUL-SIN

so far AK seems to be the best value and also mainloy its frequency at 9 daily flights between KUL-SIN and punctuality is good as i travel at least 4 sectors a month or more - usually its 90% ontime and 50% ahead of schedule. Its A320s are newer n interiors are in better condition although cleaniless maybe compromised - then 3K and TR. SQ only operates 2 of its ownmetal daily whilst the rest are on the smaller MI A320s - andMH still uses its ageing 734s with some delays at times. Tiger is the worst for cancellations n delays n 3K is bad for its delays too - but these 2 have only 2 or 3 daily flights which is not good.

MH are now starting to use the B737-800s on some of the KUL-SIN flights.

so far AK seems to be the best value and also mainloy its frequency at 9 daily flights between KUL-SIN and punctuality is good as i travel at least 4 sectors a month or more - usually its 90% ontime and 50% ahead of schedule. Its A320s are newer n interiors are in better condition although cleaniless maybe compromised - then 3K and TR.

If you book a KUL-SIN flight on AK for travel in July 2011 at this very minute, it will cost RM 128 return (flight and airport tax only). There are 10 daily flights now.

So, for those who can plan their travel well in advance, it is good value for money.

Edited by flee

If you book a KUL-SIN flight on AK for travel in July 2011 at this very minute, it will cost RM 128 return (flight and airport tax only). There are 10 daily flights now.

So, for those who can plan their travel well in advance, it is good value for money.

Agreed!

Problem I have is that I have no idea of my schedule for than week in advance.

Sorry I've been away for a few days. Thanks for all the replies and there has been some great discussion.

I'll try and address some points.

SQ Quitting KUL - this has been mentioned to me on more than one occasion by SQ staff at KUL as well and on the SQ talk forum. Most of the staff I've discussed it with think it will happen by mid 2011.

I used to have a VS gold card and found it easy to maintain status by travelling on SQ especially in C class. Once MI took over I didn’t get any miles neither did my friends with star alliance. The willingness to spend a little more to pick up status points etc has now gone and I really resent the fact that MI is not part of star alliance etc. In addition MI/SQ increased the fare by RM300 overnight which is a rather steep rise.

I've not taken that many SQ flights on this route recently but understand that loadings overall are not great. Prior to June 09 I found that the C class was always pretty full and Y was faily empty on the morning flight.

Availably - when there is a busy period (PH etc) the A320's from MI or the MAS 734's are full in no time and prices increase as a result. At least when the large aircraft operated there was more capacity on the SQ/MH flights during such periods.

Jason makes a good point about being able to fly now that LCC's are operating which is ok if you are planning a holiday or have fixed dates but most business people don’t operate that way. Most of the time when I try and book at relatively short notice the fares are LCC's are as much or more then the FSC's. As somebody who is 6'tall leg room is key even for 45mins so I usually have to take a hot seat which all adds to the cost.

I've had some great fares on AK to places such as LGK for

I really do hope that the high speed rail service is built but that is many years away if does ever happen.

Just arrived back from a few days away and found that I need to get to SIN at short notice.

Was looking at the MI flights and noticed that the cheapest ticket (1 way) over the next 3 days is RM711. After looking at the ticketing rules I can see that they have changed the fare rules again over the past few weeks and the supersaver tickets at RM322 must be must booked at least 3 days before travel.

Last time this happened they changed it back within a few weeks - lets see.....

Aghhhh not happy :angry:

MH are now starting to use the B737-800s on some of the KUL-SIN flights.

Now? I've flown several KUL-SIN-KUL sectors on the 738 already since last April on the (leased) 738.

Edited by Azman MN

Sign in to follow this