MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

Direct CNY flights between TPE and China

This is the 2nd time in 60yrs direct flights are allowed. The airspace between these 2 neighbours is opened for direct flights only during this period, and at all other times, a/c from either side risk being shot down.

These flights have benefitted businessmen and their families living on both sides of the Taiwanese straits. A typical journey which takes 7hrs can now be cut into 1 1/2hrs with direct routing and without transitting in HKG.

For this historical moment, airlines involved in the program put in lots of efforts in terms of a/c used, special uniform for F/As, goodies for passengers (souvenir, money, etc). Most were even highligted on TV. Here are some highlights.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Denny Yen

why is it that direct flight between the two countries is banned?

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif Walter, this could be your home work for this upcoming Chinese New Year.

One of the f/a of Xiamen Airlines above said that they provided Hokkien (Minnan) style food on this special flight. When I took Xiamen Airlines as an ordinary, pity that they didn't think they had anything Minnan though sad.gif

Denny, have you heard that Beijing is trying to tone down the nationalism by sending the Beijing 2008 special livery 737-700 to TPE? Air China is the flag carrier and not many Taiwanese are comfortable about the "flag carrier" to Taiwan, so instead they have decided to promote something more neutral.

By the way, is CAL sending the 744 to mainland? When did all the CNY charter flights originated from? Are they restricted to Taiwan residents only?

Last time they did the direct flights, I heard it is not a straight line direct. It went from Taipei to Hong Kong SAR's airspace (without stopping) then travel up to the mainland. Is this one a direct cross straight flight? If it is, good for them!

That Xiamen F/A in pink......she's a babe! wub.gif

Edited by S V Choong

laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  Walter, this could be your home work for this upcoming Chinese New Year. 

26934[/snapback]

Denny, help me do my homework! laugh.gif laugh.gif tongue.gif

One of the f/a of Xiamen Airlines above said that they provided Hokkien (Minnan) style food on this special flight.  When I took Xiamen Airlines as an ordinary, pity that they didn't think they had anything Minnan though sad.gif

Denny, have you heard that Beijing is trying to tone down the nationalism by sending the Beijing 2008 special livery 737-700 to TPE?  Air China is the flag carrier and not many Taiwanese are comfortable about the "flag carrier" to Taiwan, so instead they have decided to promote something more neutral.

By the way, is CAL sending the 744 to mainland?  When did all the CNY charter flights originated from?  Are they restricted to Taiwan residents only?

Last time they did the direct flights, I heard it is not a straight line direct.  It went from Taipei to Hong Kong SAR's airspace (without stopping) then travel up to the mainland.  Is this one a direct cross straight flight? If it is, good for them!

That Xiamen F/A in pink......she's a babe!  wub.gif

Accoding to TV reporter, Xiamen F/As were specially selected for this trip. They have to pass a Minan (Hokkien) speaking test to qualify for this flight.

No reports about Beijing's sensitivity, in fact Taiwanese media are more engrossed about the specially painted jet "2008" which is a good luck number (perfectly rounded figures, "8" is formed from two "0").

Taiwanese side did not send any special livery a/c except for Kitty plane. EVA withdrew it from their normal TPE-FUK route for this special flight.

CAL/CI was surprisingly quiet about their flights except for the press conference about a CNY goody bag and special menu for these flights. CI used A330, not B744 like previously. Last time, they even highlighted their first female 744 capt for these charters.

My memory mistake, I think this is the 3rd or 4th time they have direct charter flights.

I recall the 1st time direct flights were allowed, CAA stated about the routing via HK airspace before turning here. I don't know this time. I believe there are 2 no-fly zones above the straits' airspace with a narrow West-East corridor between these 2 zones. Probably they used this corridor this time or via Makung/Magung waypoint.

These flights were brokered by businessmen's associations and KMT initially. The Ah-Bian gov't is quite negative about it, but in the end they have to approve it because of overwhelming demands.

These flights are open for everyone, and costs additional NTD2,000 than via HKG. However, NTD2,000 for cutting journey time from 7 to 1 1/2 is a good trade-off.

Denny, help me do my homework!  laugh.gif  laugh.gif  tongue.gif

It was the result of the Chinese Communist war between Mao's army and KMT nationalist army (led by CKS). KMT was almost beaten, and had to retreat to Tw in 1949.

KMT claimed to be legitimate gov't of all China, and they brand Communists as bandits and therefore an illegitimate gov't. (the situation here is almost similar to N.Korea and S.Korea).

Since 1949, direct links (air, sea, trade) between 2 sides are banned (except for mini-links or via HKG). This policy remains until today, and is more rigorously defended by the Ah-Bian gov't. Patriot and SAM missiles are in place around this island.

Nevertheless, the horses have already bolted from the stables especially with so much Taiwanese investments and tech transfer into China. Everyone want direct links, but Tw politicians are a stubborn lot.

Sorry Walter, I thought most Chinese knew this already???

These flights were brokered by businessmen's associations and KMT initially. The Ah-Bian gov't is quite negative about it, but in the end they have to approve it because of overwhelming demands.

Good Luck to Chen Shui Bian and those who vouch for Taiwanese independence, I don't see any future in them smile.gif

The subtitle on one of the Eva Air pics above, it is ironic that they said "Guo ren and Zhong Tong" (fellow citizen and President).... Hmm... are they referring "Guo ren" as fellow Taiwanese only? So Taiwan is an independent country? Hope Ah Bian had checked with the comrades at Beijing first biggrin.gif

Since 1949, direct links (air, sea, trade) between 2 sides are banned (except for mini-links or via HKG). This policy remains until today, and is more rigorously defended by the Ah-Bian gov't. Patriot and SAM missiles are in place around this island.

A while ago Ah Bian claimed that only China has 400-500 missiles pointing the peace loving nation and democracy Taiwan! Didn't say how much missiles are pointing towards the mainland biggrin.gif

KMT claimed to be legitimate gov't of all China, and they brand Communists as bandits and therefore an illegitimate gov't. (the situation here is almost similar to N.Korea and S.Korea).

The Republic of China (headed by Kuo-Min-Tang party) was indeed the legitimate government of China from 1911-early 1970s (although the early years of KMT was not recognised by the international community). Taiwan was ceased and ruled by Japan from 1895 - 1945 under the unequal Treaty of Shimonoseki. After WW II, Taiwan reverted back to Chinese rule again and civil war between the KMT and Communist heated up after WWII. KMT lost and retreated to the Island of Taiwan in 1949. From 1949 onwards, it was decided that their shall not be any contact between Taiwan and the mainland through three means - Telecommunication, Mail and Transport link as Denny has said.

Immediately after WW II, the West and much of the non-communist world continue to recognise the KMT government in Taiwan as the legitimate government of China (I presume they wanted to stop the expansion of communist countries). Therefore, you often see Taiwan labelling themselves as "Taiwan R.O.C" (Taiwan province, Republic of China). In fact, the Chinese government at Taiwan held the permanent UN security council seat at that time. As a legitamate government of China, the "B-***" aircraft registry moved from mainland China to Taiwan along with the shift of government seat.

After the USA established ties with communist China in 1972 along with Japan and several countries of the west. Due to trade and politics, Taiwan had since been abandoned by the West and Japan as they recognised the one-China policy, which claimed that Taiwan is an inseparable part of China. Communist China ascended the throne as the legitimate government of China since the 1970s. the UN permanent security council seat was handed over to China. Prior to that communist China used the XJ-**** registration for their aircraft. Since the late 1970s, all mainland Chinese and Taiwan aircraft has the same registration suffix "B-****"", Hong Kong and Macau used the "B-***" suffix upon their return to China in the late 1990s.

From 1992 Taiwan had staged the first democratic election and was won by Lee Teng-hui (who is now labelled a traitor or lapdog of Japan) . Increasingly many Taiwanese felt that Taiwan should be a separate country as most of the post war generations have little or no contact with the mainland. Indeed, the Chinese are a forgetful lot.

Hope this helps, Walter. smile.gif

Edited by S V Choong

who cares about politics when you have beautyful F/A .... the xia men airline girl took my heart away :p..

who cares about politics when you have beautyful F/A .... the xia men airline girl took my heart away :p..

What airline is the one with the red-uniform/white collar ???

Think, the right-hand flight-attendant is a real cute one :wub:

SV, Pieter:

Correct, the red shirt with white collar is CAL/CI for CNY season only, they are the PR girls giving the goodies to disembarking CNY passengers at CKS.

The 400 missiles are not substantiated at all...its yesterday's since day one Ah-Bian became president until today, he's still using the same story to "scare" Taiwanese parliament to approve arms sales.

Meanwhile, Taiwanese news media last week reported that F-16s were scrambled to tail Chinese airlines overflying Taiwanese airspace during the special charter period. This allegation was denied by the air command.

Sign in to follow this