MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Riza

BWN departure tax

Bought an AK ticket to BWN, one of the items paid listed as BWN airport tax of RM25.

Then, when I check-in at BWN, the lady in red is asking me BND12 for departure tax & staple a tax coupon onto my boarding pass.

Conclusion is I paid BWN departure tax twice.

Can anybody explain this?

What BWN tax is paid in the ticket to AK?

Bought an AK ticket to BWN, one of the items paid listed as BWN airport tax of RM25.

Then, when I check-in at BWN, the lady in red is asking me BND12 for departure tax & staple a tax coupon onto my boarding pass.

Conclusion is I paid BWN departure tax twice.

Can anybody explain this?

What BWN tax is paid in the ticket to AK?

The RM25 airport tax is tax & surcharges for departing from KLIA/ BKI.

Anyway, AK is is not being explicit on what "airport charges and fees" are; whether this includes a mark-up on airport taxes charged by airport authorities on the passenger, or whether this is another layer "fee" for it to recoup its operating charges that it has to pay to the airport authorities.

Just had another look, they also levy RM 16 for "airport charges and fees" for BWN-KUL. Normally, if you have to pay airport taxes at the counter (e.g. to Indonesian destinations), the amount shown is RM 0. Not sure what the RM 16 charge at BWN is for though...

Departure Tax @ BWN (to be paid during check-in)

BND$5.00 to destinations within Borneo

BND$12.00 to elsewhere

Waived, if transit in BWN for 24 hrs flying RBA

Hi Riza

The RM25 shown on your booking is the so-called "airport fee" introduced "secretly" by AirAsia a while ago. I came across this few months ago while browsing their fee schedule. According to the schedule, BWN airport fee is B$8.

http://www.airasia.c...eeschedule.html

Please be advised that as of Wed 14th April we have introduced a fee for the higher cost airports that we fly to.This Fee is included in the 'Airport Taxes and Fees' field or in the 'Airport Fees' field whichever is used for that particular airport.The fee is not broken out as our system does not currently support this.Airport costs vary significantly across our network.The purpose of this fee is to be transparent, highlighting to our guests the variance in airport costs and to encourage them to choose low cost airports where possible. The fee effects only about 15% of the flights we operate.

The additional airport fee does not apply to BWN only. Take SIN for example, if you book SIN-KUL one way, the airport tax and charges are S$31. There is no breakdown but we know that SIN airport tax and charges are S$28. The additional S$3 goes to the "airport fee".

Not sure why AirAsia is doing this, but in all fairness to them, the airport fee is included in their all-in fare. It's just that they are calculated as a tax separated from the base fare. It can become confusing when airport tax is collected separately at check in, like BWN. pardon.gif

Edited by H C Chai

Double check my ticket & it reads:

Fare: RM XX

Airport fee: RM 16

Airport tax: RM 25

Extra fee? Well, upon arrival at BWN, the aircraft parked at remote bay, we disembark through stairs & were bussed to the gate (Gate No. 8 which is the farthest gate from the immigration counter), then climb up building stairs to the terminal level. The width & height of the stairs is very2 small as compared to any emergy exit of any buildings in Malaysia. To point this, u can't even put a your maximum size-permitted-carry-on-luggage besides u on the stairs w/out the bag touching your calf.

On return, AK used the aerobridge. As pax, didn't see where the extra fee went to.

Maybe for me, for that RM16 I can see 3 BI's 772 which is all parked on both my arrival & departure date.

Sign in to follow this