MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Tony

Empty bladder saves fuel, cuts emissions

Pee before you fly policy reduces carbon emissions

Airline asks passengers to relieve themselves before boarding to save fuel and reduce carbon emissions.

Mon, Oct 05 2009 at 1:41 PM EST

By Stephanie Rogers

Japanese airline All Nippon Airways (ANA) is determined to lower itscarbon emissions any way possible, and that includes an experimentalnew policy: pee before you fly.

And they're not just putting up a sign requesting compliance. The airline has 'loo attendants' standing at the gates that ask passengers if they need to use the restroom before boarding.

Officials say empty bladders will reduce passengers' overall weight, therefore saving and reducing carbon emissions. The policy could lead to a five-ton reduction in emissions per month, ANA officials say, and that will save the company money as well.

The policy went into effect on Oct. 1 and will remain in place for four weeks so ANA can evaluate its effectiveness. The trial will be expanded if it's received well by passengers. Though it may be the strangest yet, this policy is just one of many that airlines are implementing in an effort to control greenhouse gas emissions.

The international airline industry, which is the fastest-growing source of carbon emissions, recently agreed to slash its emissions to half their 2005 levels by 2050 using a combination of policy changes and new technology.

Source: http://www.mnn.com/t...arbon-emissions

What are your thoughts?

I tend to empty my bladder prior to boarding just so that I won't need to use the toilet until the seatbelt signs are turned off after takeoff. Particularly helpful if I'm not seated by the aisle.

How heavy is a passenger who's holding his pee? Surely it's insignificant. Maybe if you take into account all the other pax it would probably be significant but come on! This is a half-hearted attempt to save the environment. We need to develop the technology to reduce emission faster rather than lame acts such as this!

How heavy is a passenger who's holding his pee? Surely it's insignificant. Maybe if you take into account all the other pax it would probably be significant but come on! This is a half-hearted attempt to save the environment. We need to develop the technology to reduce emission faster rather than lame acts such as this!

Probably it's about the energy used to perform flushing that's of NH's concern.

Still, they might as well remove some of the toilets...the extra space could then be used for more seat...

Believe China Southern used to (or still?) have such policy as well.

What's next ? ask the pax to wear short sleeve shirts, short pants, slippers to save fuel & cuts emissions ? :pardon:

Er...I'm doing that lah. : :pardon:

Sign in to follow this