MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
V Wong

AK seating policy

Dear Adrian,

Many thanks for your explanation. I never for one moment blamed the check in staff for the randomly assigned seating done from ABOVE.. in fact i felt the staff was treated unfairly when she told me she would be fined by AK if she were to change the seat. Never for once I argued with check in staff regarding AK policy, since I understand being no frill, you just have to accept their T & C. What i dont understand is people travelling together on one single booking, checked in together, in an relatively empty flight, were all given separate seats. Talk about innovation...

Adrian, cheers to you bro :drinks:

having been there,done that we just HAVE to stuck up & live with it..being targets of 2 opposing forces..

why charge? Why must AK charge RM5 per seat and take tens of ringgit off a group of more than 2 passengers?

They probably feel that whatever Ryanair is doing, they must follow suit. AK business model, after all is modeled after Ryanair.

This is taken from our manual. [...]

This post by Adrain M is one gem of a posting. Thanks Adrian for being very frank, and sharing your side of the coin.

(Now, if only the MH folks in their very own section are as honest as Adrian, instead of giving us nicely crafted (but mostly empty) PR spins. Such as those "service recovery" statement on the J seats of the 738.)

Edited by Mushrif A

This post by Adrain M is one gem of a posting. Thanks Adrian for being very frank, and sharing your side of the coin.

(Now, if only the MH folks in their very own section are as honest as Adrian, instead of giving us nicely crafted (but mostly empty) PR spins. Such as those "service recovery" statement on the J seats of the 738.)

I hope this would not bring about any problem to Adrian from his top management, having their operation manual posted on the internet.

i dunno wat to day, this was just simply Kanasai.

i;ve being flying AK these few days and everytime during check in i've ask for window seat and all the time i was "GRANTED" not just window seat but middle seat. Can u imagine 6 ft, at 100+ kg pax seat in middle seat. for full flight? RM5 is just rediculous. to make it worse, flight attendance kept on enforcing it "please seat at your allocated seat and don't change your seat, I repeat, don;t change your seat". i would say, "SO WHAT?"

Here is a new definition - book a flight but not a seat. :p

some suggestion on few areas where the company can make extra money..

1) Seats at departure hall LCCT. charge it at RM5/seating

2) Toilet at LCCT. charge at RM2/entry

3) Staircase to enter a/c. Use escalator type, charge RM5 while the normal staircase, charge RM4.

4) Switch on overhead lamp in cabin, charge RM5/hour.

5) Toilet papers, soap/handwash gel, charge RM5.

6) Taking photos outside or inside the a/c or within LCCT, charge RM50.

while for non-chargeable..

1) talking on the phone or sms while a/c is about to land/take off

2) hurriedly queuing up one or two hour before any announcement is made for departure

3) carrying 3,4,5 big and heavy hand luggage into a/c

4) while boarding, running like mad dog to the a/c

and the list goes on....

Sooner or later...

1) Oxygen Mask Rm50

2) Life Jacket Rm50

3) Seat Belt Rm 10

4) Fire extinguisher Rm10

Continuously goes on...

Good insight, Adrian. I can understand how the system design (or rather coding) could have partly contributed to the limitation. And you're right, it's not Guest Services' fault, but rather the commercial/management team who decided on the policy. But since you guys are in the frontline, you'll often be the first point of complaint for your customers.

It shouldn't be too difficult to map existing booking reference numbers to "cluster" seats onboard so that pax under the same booking could be seated together as much as possible. The case where the 20 pax rocks up last minute at the counter, well too bad cuz they're late, they lose out.

But at the end of the day, AK might find itself having to pay tens of thousands USD just to turn on this group seating feature. Having dealt with a similar vendor, I know it's tricky...and expensive. :)

Cheers,