MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Robin

MAS gets five-star ranking for the fourth time

i dont think so mate SQ 7 star....i have bad experience fly with them

May be you are one of the few ? Because as far as i'm concerned, those "high-yield" passengers, such as those high-ranking officers of the foreign banks all prefer to fly SIA whenever possible. My uncle is one of them. And that is the market segment MAS never captured. What's even worse is that he even prefer to fly KLM Royal Dutch Airlines over MAS whenever he got a meeting in Jakarta.

And by the way, i don't find SQ girls robotic. May be they are just too ... well ... formal.

Just take a look at the detailed award system in Skytrash for the best airline category - heavy emphasis (and probably weigh) given to performance of cabin staff. If not for the cabin staff, I wonder where MH will land in the ranking, pun intended. Anyway congratulations to the cabin staff!

Edited by V Wong

May be you are one of the few ? Because as far as i'm concerned, those "high-yield" passengers, such as those high-ranking officers of the foreign banks all prefer to fly SIA whenever possible. My uncle is one of them. And that is the market segment MAS never captured. What's even worse is that he even prefer to fly KLM Royal Dutch Airlines over MAS whenever he got a meeting in Jakarta.

And by the way, i don't find SQ girls robotic. May be they are just too ... well ... formal.

Just to throw in a few interesting "facts" if you may call them.

Is there more than 1 rating for airlines awards? What about CAPA? How MH performed and why if they were not rated? In IT for example we have Gfk report and IDC. Both doesn't tally because 1 register resellers' buy-in while the other register sell-out. So if you know how a rating works you can channel all resources to one area and win an award and disregard the rest. Same goes for ISO rating.

People versus people. Most problem can be resolve if you can handle the people. This is very true because people make the decision to buy or not to buy. If you can handle the people, you are as good as getting the deal.

Last year there was a poll about prettiest girl (can't really remember but along the line lah) and guess who's the winner? Singapore girls! And I presume majority of SQ girls are from Singapore lah. So there you have it. They might be formal/robotic but in the eyes of people around the world who bothered to answer the poll they are actually rated much much higher. :p

Singapore girls! And I presume majority of SQ girls are from Singapore lah. So there you have it.

Eh, i thought majority of their cabin crew are actually Malaysian ? Large number of them are Singapore PR.

Is there more than 1 rating for airlines awards? What about CAPA?

There are lots of surveys out there . . . Skytrax and CAPA hand theirs out in a very predictable fashion (my personal opinion). Some airlines let off fireworks when they garner these awards while others remain muted. Yet others prefer to talk about awards from certain organisations or publications that come from segment of travellers that reflect their target audience. So to each his own and indeed congratulations to MAS for dominating the Best Cabin Crew Award and to AirAsia for winning the Skytrax LCC of the Year award. I understand we can expect a special-liveried A320 for the latter award and I am keeping my eyes peeled for it.

While the are indeed Malaysians among the Singapore Girls, I wouldn't go so far as to say that majority are. There are also mainland Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians etc. At the end of the day, the Singapore Girl is not about a nationality - it is about a branding, a training and grooming process, a whole concept of service delivery that adheres to a specific standard and perhaps over time, an icon.

JAL's Japan Girls too feature lots of Thais - all of whom are trained to the point where the service delivery closely matches that of their true blue Japanese counterparts. My JAL contact tells me this training process is rigourous and uncompromising. There are airlines which have not been very successful in absorbing foreign cabin crew. Finnair employed Thai cabin crew members to "better serve their Thai and Asian passengers" and having flown almost a dozen sectors with it, I cannot help but note that these cabin crew members were happier to serve their non-Asian passengers and treated the latter with a curtness that totally negated their employment in the first place. Something is amiss in this scheme - but that is a personal opinion based on flying with them between 2002 and 2005.

When I flew Northwest and Cathay Pacific, I was most impressed by their crew members from the Philippines (on both carriers) and from India (on CX). The quality of their Filipino crew was especially astounding . . . which makes me wonder why Philippine Airlines did not rise in the ranking of airlines in Asia.

At the end of the day, it is not good enough to be good on a few days of the week . . . it is all about being consistent.

KC Sim

...........I cannot help but note that these cabin crew members were happier to serve their non-Asian passengers and treated the latter with a curtness that totally negated their employment in the first place. ..............

Thank you. I am now not alone in having experienced the same with Singapoer Airlines and that's why I fly with MH or other airlines. I even get better treatment with AZ and BA.

While the are indeed Malaysians among the Singapore Girls, I wouldn't go so far as to say that majority are. There are also mainland Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, Indians etc.

If my memory serves me correctly. I remembered Richard Quest (when he was trying out the SQ 345 from SIN to EWR in 2005 for CNN Business Traveller) said that 10% of the cabin crew are from various Asian countries while the rest are either Singaporeans or Malaysians with more than 50% of them recruited from the latter country.

Thank you. I am now not alone in having experienced the same with Singapoer Airlines and that's why I fly with MH or other airlines. I even get better treatment with AZ and BA.

MAS had the very same problem too a while back. It was a flight from BKK back to KUL on MAS 333 in late 2002. I think they are getting better now since i have not encountered the same problem for so long but according to dad they haven't changed much. Pretty much the reason he doesn't really fancy MAS till this day.