MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Alan F.

KL aircraft tracking in Google Earth

Anyone interested in tracking aircraft around KL should check out: www.openatc.com and click on the Google Earth option in the left bar. Accept the terms & conditions and up should pop Google Earth with a temporary places folder for various parts of the world. There's a 5 minute delay to the traffic being shown from the servers sending out the tracks showing a/c call sign, altitude, speed and track.

To obtain better tracking plots in Google Earth, highlight the 'Australasia' sub-folder in the temporary places folder, then in the G.E. menu bar select Edit - Properties - Refresh tab and alter time-based refresh to something like 15 secs.

Wow... thanks Alan....

This is very interesting.... :clapping:

And thanks for the feeds as well.

Hopefully, one day, we can bring this to spotting sessions... :rolleyes:

this is so cool! i am using thy google map version .... more things to kill time in the office :p

Thanks for the link and guide. Now I can see what I hear on my scanner :drinks:

Anyone interested in tracking aircraft around KL should check out: www.openatc.com and click on the Google Earth option in the left bar. Accept the terms & conditions and up should pop Google Earth with a temporary places folder for various parts of the world. There's a 5 minute delay to the traffic being shown from the servers sending out the tracks showing a/c call sign, altitude, speed and track.

I've never seen any flights in MY or SG.

Uh.. uh.. same here.. last time i checked, only got 3 flights in Australasia and all are in Australia.. but Europe got TONS!!

Uh.. uh.. same here.. last time i checked, only got 3 flights in Australasia and all are in Australia.. but Europe got TONS!!

Please remember that all the data for the tracking is coming from amatuers using the SBS1 radar box and not real ATC radars. Their data is then streamed to the OpenATC site who then turn into something to use in Google Earth. There's probably only one uploader providing the data for the KL area which limits the amount off traffic that can be seen. Quite a few other people have created a small software package using VNC as a backbone (www.kuawaitstorm.com & www.atcbox.com> VNC could be used to view KL data in a better format than Google Earth but likely exposes the sources IP address to the cyber-police here in Malaysia...and risking some time in Kamunting.

Please remember that all the data for the tracking is coming from amatuers using the SBS1 radar box and not real ATC radars. Their data is then streamed to the OpenATC site who then turn into something to use in Google Earth. There's probably only one uploader providing the data for the KL area which limits the amount off traffic that can be seen. Quite a few other people have created a small software package using VNC as a backbone (www.kuawaitstorm.com & www.atcbox.com> VNC could be used to view KL data in a better format than Google Earth but likely exposes the sources IP address to the cyber-police here in Malaysia...and risking some time in Kamunting.

Only 1? Any idea when do that 'sole saviour' normally uploading?

Thanks Alan for the insight. That clears the way...

I did see it work once in East Malaysia when Steve sent a feed. After that nothing has been seen.

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....c=8696&st=0

I know that not all aircraft can be picked up. Which ones in this part of the world can be seen (feed providing)?

A couple of threads from previous discussions on the topic

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....&hl=openatc

http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....&hl=openatc