MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
KK Lee

Ever wonder what they serve at MH First Class lounge?

Eh sorry, perhaps I was a touch ambiguous in quoting the whole of akupengemis' reply - it's the "always curi2 makan" that could/should be a target for cost cutting exercise :p

Just in case, here is link to "MH to cut costs ......"

Edited by BC Tam

Eh sorry, perhaps I was a touch ambiguous in quoting the whole of akupengemis' reply - it's the "always curi2 makan" that could/should be a target for cost cutting exercise :p

Yup.. that was my first reaction when reading the blog - I find it surprising that there are people enjoying the lounge who are not supposed to be there. Please don't take it personally, I would also hentam (whack) everything if offered for free. I am also sure that there are plenty of other such "visitors". But the staff in the lounge should know better.

Reminds me of one of my MH flights in economy class. One of the FAs was an old friend, then while I was chatting with her in the back galley of the 777, a colleague went to the front and came back with 2 bottles of champagne for me to take home. I tried to decline politely, but then that colleague said that if I don't take them, someone else will take them, and MAS will go bankrupt anyway. Hmm... so I took them.

Pilferage is a good place to start if they want to cut costs. Can easily replace the RM1m saved from snackboxes !

Yup.. that was my first reaction when reading the blog - I find it surprising that there are people enjoying the lounge who are not supposed to be there. Please don't take it personally, I would also hentam (whack) everything if offered for free. I am also sure that there are plenty of other such "visitors". But the staff in the lounge should know better.

Reminds me of one of my MH flights in economy class. One of the FAs was an old friend, then while I was chatting with her in the back galley of the 777, a colleague went to the front and came back with 2 bottles of champagne for me to take home. I tried to decline politely, but then that colleague said that if I don't take them, someone else will take them, and MAS will go bankrupt anyway. Hmm... so I took them.

Pilferage is a good place to start if they want to cut costs. Can easily replace the RM1m saved from snackboxes !

I understand what you're trying to say. In the first place, I am not misusing the lounge. I am there for a reason. I don't simply go to lounges, sit there and enjoy myself. It's not all take and no give to MAS. Being a supplier, I think we give more than we take from the customers sometimes. Moreover, we are also their customers when we take business/first class flights. This are all parts of good PR. It might cost them a Bollinger/Haagen Daz today, but getting RM10-20k of air ticket sale from me this Friday, isn't that a small fee to pay?

Well that depends on how you define the "curi2 makan" category. In the first place, aren't they customers as well to be able to have access? How often are they doing it? I can understand the feeling of some parties that are devoid of such pleasures. Remember, we all know that there's no free lunch in the world. Thus in order for us to gain a favor, we have to give something. That something again depends on whether is it beneficial to MAS. You'll never know if it is. Don't everybody always throw in names to get invited to parties/events?!! It all boils down to the same thing - people might get jealous but that's life.

Well, it seems this "curi" thingy is leading us down a path best avoided :(

Allow me to offer my apologies for any offence incurred, which I would stress is inadvertent. I can only plead in defence that my reply above has been misunderstood :db:

As for being "devoid of such pleasures" and "people might get jealous" - well, different people different priorities :)

I apologise - wasn't my intention to offend you in particular as you did mention in your blog that you were networking with the people in MH.

I myself am in a business world and very regularly buy and receive presents. However, everything I give must be justified, and everything I received which cost more than USD200 must also be declared. Where I am, this stuff is taken quite seriously. When I travel to the US, I have to be even more careful.

I think providing these simple perks to suppliers is actually a good idea because as you mentioned, it is a low-cost marketing technique. But I do wonder what kind of controls they have in place, i.e., are the staff in the lounge authorised to do this, and where do they draw the line with non-suppliers? Do they bring friends and families in?

I apologise - wasn't my intention to offend you in particular as you did mention in your blog that you were networking with the people in MH.

I myself am in a business world and very regularly buy and receive presents. However, everything I give must be justified, and everything I received which cost more than USD200 must also be declared. Where I am, this stuff is taken quite seriously. When I travel to the US, I have to be even more careful.

I think providing these simple perks to suppliers is actually a good idea because as you mentioned, it is a low-cost marketing technique. But I do wonder what kind of controls they have in place, i.e., are the staff in the lounge authorised to do this, and where do they draw the line with non-suppliers? Do they bring friends and families in?

No worries. Well, I wasn't actually relating that I was receiving or giving perks/presents. The perks that we suppliers give to them are in form of sponsorship for their events and thus not 1 or two person benefits but the whole company as a whole. As a supplier for food, we did regularly visit the lounge for feedbacks and occasional checks. And at the same time, for all the appointments we had, we usually do it at the lounge. It is better than do it outside where we have to patron other eating outlets and then later claim on the company again. Suppliers are not getting any perks except for a free meal or two at the lounge provided you know the manager. Not everyone can be permitted to enter without the knowledge and authority from the manager. I'm sure there's a cctv to monitor the flow of customers and the manager of the lounge is looking at the expenditure of the lounge vs the ticket sales from MH first/business class!

Well, it seems this "curi" thingy is leading us down a path best avoided :(

Allow me to offer my apologies for any offence incurred, which I would stress is inadvertent. I can only plead in defence that my reply above has been misunderstood :db:

As for being "devoid of such pleasures" and "people might get jealous" - well, different people different priorities :)

Although I might not agree with what you say, I defend to my death your right to say it. Everyone has different perspective and mine is no different either. I'm looking from my industry's point of view and you're probably representing the consumers/IJ's point of view.

hell...some MAS staff use its first class free of charge...and my cousins who work in MAS report of widespread pilferage....

a few Haagen Daaz tubs won't make a difference! Good on you Ei Ling :) After all, you are one of their suppliers. These things happen all the time in the medical field....the drug reps spend a lot of money to ensure we use their products! We take the money but don't use it! :)

These things happen all the time in the medical field....the drug reps spend a lot of money to ensure we use their products! We take the money but don't use it! :)

Sobering revelation - all our efforts to no avail :lol:

Ah well, back to the drawing board :)

Although I might not agree with what you say, I defend to my death your right to say it.

Amen. :)

Hahaha....BC...i meant that as a generalisation! If you are in surgery - the most important will be equipment reps! We will try everything they throw at us...and we tell them straight off its crap! that's what my boss did yesterday. some stupid powder that will stop bleeding. what a load of bollocks. proved it to the rep it didn't work! should have seen her dejected face.

she told us to put some stitches in. yeah, thanks but no thanks.

Have they downgraded the champagne from Bollinger to Piper Heidsieck NV? :blink:

Nope. It's always been Piper. I think Bollinger and DP is only for the platinum lounge for the Enrich platinum members

Nope. It's always been Piper. I think Bollinger and DP is only for the platinum lounge for the Enrich platinum members

Ah... gotcha. :)

I find PH NV a tad too acidic, though most adequate as a breakfast champagne. :D

Sign in to follow this