MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Irni Mastura

Lumpur Approach...

Correct me if I am wrong, I assumed that it is illegal to listen to local ATC convos without proper authorisation, right? However, the past few days have been interesting for me, listening to bits and pieces KLIA approach conversations from pilots to tower on my radio on random basis! Hehe... felt like getting secret birthday gift whenever I heard that, didn't dare to change my radio position nor setting least its get lost forever.

Over the weekend, I've started listening to a radio channel called X.fm , I think it's X-Fresh.FM if I am not mistaken. Nilai area, 97.9.fm. Although a bit fuzzy, the music station would somehow overlapped with pilots/ATC conversations. However though, I can only listen when they're ascending/descending around 6,000 ft or less... hmm.. Does this usually happens to ordinary public person's radios?

i will be grateful if they provide public ATC for WMKK

i never encountered any malaysian ATC live radio from the net

this is the site where i always go to listen Perth ATC. MAS always there before land, im proud

http://www.liveatc.net/feedindex.php?type=all

Yup, very handy site that is on real time streaming. Used it to monitor relatives flight who's coming over.. thus knowing what time to head to the airport for the pick up hehehe.. I wish Malaysian airport is in the list.. but no luck.. it wont ever happen i believe. :pardon:

Yup, very handy site that is on real time streaming. Used it to monitor relatives flight who's coming over.. thus knowing what time to head to the airport for the pick up hehehe.. I wish Malaysian airport is in the list.. but no luck.. it wont ever happen i believe. :pardon:

well, when you think about it, all malaysian authority radio contact are illegal. i just dont understand, this is just a ATC not police, and why other country allow this to happen? probably because they know that there's an aviation ethusiasts out there. hmmm very understanding

well, when you think about it, all malaysian authority radio contact are illegal. i just dont understand, this is just a ATC not police, and why other country allow this to happen? probably because they know that there's an aviation ethusiasts out there. hmmm very understanding

An ATC receiver (or other radio scanners) is deemed a non-standard item and the Communications & Multimedia Act 1998 requires that a permit be obtained to own/operate one. Why it's so in the first place, have to ask the authorities lah.

Over the weekend, I've started listening to a radio channel called X.fm , I think it's X-Fresh.FM if I am not mistaken. Nilai area, 97.9.fm. Although a bit fuzzy, the music station would somehow overlapped with pilots/ATC conversations. However though, I can only listen when they're ascending/descending around 6,000 ft or less... hmm.. Does this usually happens to ordinary public person's radios?

I suspect your radio's circuitry is 'faulty' enabling it to latch onto the airband, which incidentally sits just above the FM band, i.e. beyond 108MHz. So FM radio & ATC receiver are virtually siblings. Years back, in Singapore you can buy an FM radio with the frequencies going all the way to 130Mhz+, so can listen to ATC too. Listening in is fun whenever there's bad weather, though a couple of times I heard MH1 asking to potong queue due to 'low fuel'. That was during the Subang days. :)

The frequency for lumpur approach ia 119.45 for the south and 124.2 for the north of the airfield.

Edited by Radzi

I suspect your radio's circuitry is 'faulty' enabling it to latch onto the airband, which incidentally sits just above the FM band, i.e. beyond 108MHz. So FM radio & ATC receiver are virtually siblings. Years back, in Singapore you can buy an FM radio with the frequencies going all the way to 130Mhz+, so can listen to ATC too. Listening in is fun whenever there's bad weather, though a couple of times I heard MH1 asking to potong queue due to 'low fuel'. That was during the Subang days. :)

Then I guess I'm actually happy for something that is 'faulty' :lol:

Another reason I guess is that my apartment is at the top floor, and my block is the farthest end so no other tall buildings hindered the frequencies... more prone for 'faulty' interception, I guess... :p

talking about overlapping Radio conversations nih.. TV also can recieve it right~???

Edited by Ibrahim

I used to listen ATC conversation from the van's radio (the analog ones :p) but within the airport vicinity, long before the new KB Airport comes into action. But sadly, only one side i.e. the voice from the pilot is heard.

Tune the radio slowly, normally that time lingers around 97 FM and voila .. you get to listen to something you don't understand mostly :lol: :pardon:

Found something interesting in Youtube - Modify your AM/FM transistor radio to an Aircraft Band Receiver

Hehehe ... interesting DIY project, MIR, but unfortunately newer radios do not use the components the guy was tweaking. That's why he was stressing old/vintage FM radios. :)

But from experience, such simple receivers can only work very close the source of the traffic, such as near control towers, underneath approach flight paths, hence Irni's and Azrin's selective receptions. For proper listening, you need a dedicated receiver and some outdoor antenna setup - then can even catch pilots chattering while they are overflying VPL, say, which can get pretty busy around midnite as countless European flights from KUL and SIN jostle for the best flight levels. :)

Sign in to follow this