MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Mohd Yohan

Books/Mags obout Aviation

MPH Mid Valley puts books on avaiation at two different places. Coffee-table types and such at one place, while technical and pilot-related ones in the engineering books section. Ask or directions from the customer service staff. They have a habit of moving them (the coffee table types) from one place to another. The engineering section should still be in the little 'reading room' together with law and accountancy books.
Thanks for the advice Rozhan...will keep in mind once I go back there... :)

Found this book at Popular Bookstore Sunway Pyramid.

DSC01936.jpgDSC01937.jpg

I think this is a good book for reference. Might be to detail for an interview but as the title suggest...

'Ace The Technical Pilot Interview' by Gary V. Bristow

thanks for the suggestion Khaled...

is that RM45 :blink: I just bought that book at Kinokuniya for RM115 <_<

"Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason: reason for me to visit Vietnam last month :pardon:

QUOTE(Attan @ Jan 2 2006, 08:16 AM)

Bought two books at RM12 each at Popular Ampang Point two weeks ago - "Blue Max" by Jack Hunter and "633 Squadron" by Federick E. Smith. Both were made into movies.

My best reads were

"Samurai" by Saburo Sakai

"Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann

"Flight of the Intruder" by Stephen Coonts

"Fly the Wing" by James Webb - highly technical but useful

"Baa Baa Black Sheep" by Greg Boyington

"Lindbergh" by A. Scott Berg

If you want extracts of the best aviation books in just one book I STRONGLY RECOMMEND "War In The Air" by Stephen Coonts (Pocket Books, New York) which includes stories from some of the above listed titles and those as far back as World War 1.

Attan, your suggestions are really great and I get noticed on my notbook. I'll try to find out in Turkish here, otherwise I'll look at bookstores in KL in English.

especially "samurai" takes my interest becouse I read a few article about Saburo Sakai in an Turkish aviation magazine issues. Also they wrote about Erich Hartman's and Adolf Galland's life stories during two years.

I read 633th Squadron and it was great "real life" story. I advise if you have to find "Dunquerk skies"(I couldn't find writer now)

I'm sure all of people know Richard Bach's books. Especially 3 books just only about pure aviation but the rest of them generally about philosophy and human relations

there is an another book published the same series with 633th SQ, which is Heinz Knoke's life story by written himself "la grande chasse" but probably book names can be change.

If you have a chance to buy I advise also "FLIGHT- 100years of aviation" written by R.G Grant.It is very nice documentary book about aviation history since 2003.

For newest GA pilots (so preparing to get their PPLs) ROd MAchado's Private Pilot Handbook would be help for knowledge before flight lessons.

I'm buying new one or used today's pilot, pilot, airlinerworld, airlines,airways, aircraft illustrated special issues from KEymag. Also making collect Jusplanes-world air routes DVDs

I was writing for an aviaiton newspaper-magazine and I had a corner (half page) until 3 years ago about virtual aviation but now I don't write.

quote name='Hakan' date='Oct 20 2007, 04:43 AM' post='133312']

Attan, your suggestions are really great and I get noticed on my notbook. I'll try to find out in Turkish here, otherwise I'll look at bookstores in KL in English.

especially "samurai" takes my interest becouse I read a few article about Saburo Sakai in an Turkish aviation magazine issues. Also they wrote about Erich Hartman's and Adolf Galland's life stories during two years.

I read 633th Squadron and it was great "real life" story. I advise if you have to find "Dunquerk skies"(I couldn't find writer now)

I'm sure all of people know Richard Bach's books. Especially 3 books just only about pure aviation but the rest of them generally about philosophy and human relations

there is an another book published the same series with 633th SQ, which is Heinz Knoke's life story by written himself "la grande chasse" but probably book names can be change.

If you have a chance to buy I advise also "FLIGHT- 100years of aviation" written by R.G Grant.It is very nice documentary book about aviation history since 2003.

For newest GA pilots (so preparing to get their PPLs) ROd MAchado's Private Pilot Handbook would be help for knowledge before flight lessons.

I'm buying new one or used today's pilot, pilot, airlinerworld, airlines,airways, aircraft illustrated special issues from KEymag. Also making collect Jusplanes-world air routes DVDs

I was writing for an aviaiton newspaper-magazine and I had a corner (half page) until 3 years ago about virtual aviation but now I don't write.

Attan, awesome taste.

Fate is the Hunter is to me an airline pilot's bible, especially if you started when the Airline was small, and you actually knew every Pilot by name. It captures the romance of being a budding airline pilot, the move from equipment to equipment, when ADFs were primary navigating instruments with VOR being hi-tech, when the only CRT a pilot knows is the monochrome display of his weather radar.

Saburo Sakai's Samurai is also good.

Look for Horrido, a good book about the German Aces.

For some light and fun reading of the experiences of a flight attendant, there is this book by Yvonne Lee titled The Sky is Crazy: Tales from a Trolley Dolly, released 2005 priced at RM29.90. I believe she was an MAS FA. She shares her experience in a sometimes funny way like how the meal tray would become 'as light as a feather' when they are collected from passengers after meal service...because they have liberated everything on the tray as souvenirs e.g. casserole dish, plastic cups, cutlery etc. Aptly described chapter "I fly, I see, I take lor"...

Also about a drunk passenger easing himself in front of the cockpit door thinking it was the loo...

For serious spotters who would like to identify the types of planes, especially the not-too-usual ones, Janes World Aircraft Recognition Handbook would come in handy. It includes basic data and silhouettes of planes and what other planes one may mistaken it for based on similar designs. I have an old edition which continues to be applicable to this day. I believe Janes' line of books is a world standard reference for aircraft, both civil and military.

I've read a few pages of that book by Yvonne.

One was about how her colleague accidentally deployed the chutes when opening the door. Funny!

Two books that really helped me with my previous flight-training, both written by the Brit Alan Bramson:

- Be a better pilot

- Make better landings

hi..

if you are looking for Basic flying i would suggest you to get a Trevor Thom PPL basic flying. They have about 10 voulumes of basic flying for Private Pilots Level..

Hi guys.....(my 1st ever topic here :) )

today I went to MPH OneUtama......then I found this book and bought it....

PILOTING BASICS HANDBOOK (Aviate,Navigate,Communicate,Integrate)

by LEWIS BJORK,Editor......looking forward to finish and master this 824 pages book :p

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5236KJ9PT&i=709464

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5236KJ9PT&i=709486

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5236KJ9PT&i=709487

http://www.pix8.net/pro/pic.php?u=5236KJ9PT&i=709488

----------------------------------------------------------------------

besides this, Im also hoping that everyone here could share their fav/recommended aviation books/mags.... :D

Well, for magazines :

- Asian Airlines & Aerospace

- Airliner World

- Airport

- Airways (UK)

- Airways (TW)

All are very good except AA & A and Airways (TW), some of the informations are wrong. But between these two magazines, Airways (TW) is a lot better.

Oh :lol: If only I read this thread first. I just bought AA & A, Jan 08 issue today from Kino at KLCC (the only airliner mag which I found though), haven't read them yet. Its cover story was on the story about MAS-Qantas to set up joint venture MRO company, with IJ and Geoff Dixon on the cover . The mag was mentioned by a member of another forum, which was the reason why I was looking for it. Later I stopped by Times and found the rest of the mags recommended in the above quote, but a bit pricey for me at the time, so I sadly forgo them.

In regards of 'n00bie' purchases, I've got:

The Complete Eejit's* Guide to Flying and Gliding (Bill Lane and Azriela Jaffe)

Randomly found it. It was on stock clearance sale so I got this somewhat cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guid...g/dp/0028638859

The Flying Book (David Blatner)

Quite funny Q&A book, even covered about why pilots aren't allowed to have beards!

http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Book-David-Bl...r/dp/0140297871

A Field Guide to Airplanes 3rd Ed. (M.R. Montgomery & Gerald Foster)

I've been quite a dunderhead when it comes to recognizing aircrafts, so I got this book to help me a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Field-Guide-Airplane...d/dp/0618411275

For some local flavor, I've got:

The Air Asia Story: How A Young Airline Made It Possible For Everyone To Fly And Became A Runaway Success (Sen Ze & Jayne Ng)

For the seasoned aviation enthusiasts, this book might bore them to death, but since I did not follow the aviation news closely not until few months ago, I was captivated by the tales in this book. Pre-MW read, hehe..

For something fictional, I've only got:

Airframe (Michael Crichton)

I've read this book about three times already, was a fan of Crichton books years ago.

Painfully not as much reading as I should have done.. but I aim to make my list bigger definitely.

* Seemed that the original word was bleeped from forum usage, hehe

And oooh... I was tempted to buy these two when I saw them at Kino:

Airbus A380: Superjumbo on World Tour [illustrated] (Hardcover) by David Maxwell

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airbus-A380-Superj...r/dp/0760332797

Airbus A380: Superjumbo of the 21st Century (Hardcover) by Guy Norris & Mark Wagner

http://www.amazon.com/Airbus-A380-Superjum...y/dp/076032218X

Edited by Irni Mastura