MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

Mount Cook - airport, mountains et al.

Hehehe ... yes, I found myself at Mt Cook Airport (MON) last week. :D

For location, pls click HERE.

Some 5km before reaching the dead end of the road at Mt Cook Village, there's a turn-off to the airport.

mtcookvillage6082008120ca5.jpg

Access road to the airport.

mtcookvillage6082008112ew1.jpg

Entering the airport perimeter.

p1270035xz8.jpg

Carpark adjacent to main airport building, with joyous people back from some glacier landing, perhaps.

mtcookvillage6082008118et3.jpg

Ramp to the right of railings.

mtcookvillage6082008116iw1.jpg

Fuel station. DIY.

mtcookvillage6082008116vx1.jpg

View of the single runway.

mtcookvillage6082008115sp8.jpg

Early evening, and I am too late for any spotting, but manage to catch these aviators storing their two magnificent machines.

mtcookvillage6082008114cg4.jpg

Interesting shots there Naim..The view is just amazing!

thanks for sharing :drinks:

Dr Naim,

To say I'm envious would be understating it somewhat :)

But thanks for sharing those pics all the same :drinks:

BTW, it's interesting to note the shack like airport you visited has juice on tap, whilst Captain Nik has his share of fitful dreams (read nightmare) ensuring there will be fuel to top up his jumbos at spanking new TGG in not too distant future :)

Edited by BC Tam

Oh wow... Mt Cook! I have an New Zealander friend who always raved about that place. Wonderful, thanks for sharing! And I hope there's more, and more to share with us! :D

Beautiful scenery there, Dr., and what a lovely airport !!!

No high fences obstructing views, etc...

What is the biggest aircraft landing there ? :huh:

Must be a pretty difficult airport to land on, when visibility is marginal...

Thanks, guys, yes the Mt Cook visit was quite memorable. I spent 5 days in South Island clocking 2,000km on the road, and another 800km on North Island. Just drive, stop, take pics, drive, stop, take pics, eat, find room, etc, etc. Needless to say I have scenery-overload now, not that I'm complaining. :D

Anyway this morning, am driving off to Perlis for a function at Univ Perlis in Kangar, back tomorrow night. So offline lah.

---

View of Aoraki Mt Cook along the Mt Cook Rd. Lake Tekapo to the right.

img3748dj0.jpg

Awesome Aoraki Mt Cook, at 3,800m. That's just 300m short of Mt Kinabalu.

img3811ca5.jpg

Me and Edmund. :D

img3818wy5.jpg

What is the biggest aircraft landing there ? :huh:

Must be a pretty difficult airport to land on, when visibility is marginal...

This airport is mainly used by 'ski planes' such as in pic above. Ppl hire these planes for scenic flights over the mountains, glaciers and the fiords on the west coast of South Island. A highlight is landing the plane on the glacier ice.

We saw a couple of planes appearing from atop the high mountains, and approaching the runway at a very steep angle before leveling and landing. Must be spectacular for the passengers. :)

More pics ...

mtcookvillage6082008124uy2.jpg

mtcookvillage6082008123ab7.jpg

The snowstorms came in soon after we left NZ. We were lucky to have made it to Mt Cook in great weather last week. Some of the roads we drove through are now closed, esp. the mountain passes. :-)

Surviving Mt Cook

NZ Herald

5:00AM Sunday August 17, 2008

By Cliff Taylor and Katie McKone

MtCook230.jpg

The six Australians are very happy after being rescued from Mt Cook. Photo / Christchurch Star

Six hikers have described how they survived two terrifying nights battling neck-high snowdrifts and avalanches while they were trapped on Mt Cook.

The Australians - four men and two women from Sydney - were airlifted to safety about 9.30am yesterday after the search team took advantage of a short break in the weather.

All six walked unaided from the rescue helicopter after landing at Mt Cook village about 9.50am before getting the all-clear from medical staff.

Wrapped in blankets and holding hot drinks, they recounted their ordeal to waiting media.

Group leader Terry Cole, a 37-year-old forklift driver, described how they had been stuck on a ridge on the Mueller Glacier as avalanches thundered past 50m to either side.

Despite being partly protected by an overhang, their two tents were repeatedly filled with snow and they barely slept during the ordeal.

"It was pretty scary," said Cole. "A big slab of snow fell down beside me."

His partner, school counsellor Jennie Landon, also 37, was visibly upset as she described her fear.

"I heard a lot of avalanches around us. I thought, 'I'm too young to die'."

Cole said one team member passed out as they struggled through snow up to their necks carrying 30kg packs. "We tried to stick together as a group. I tried to lead the team out but it was nearly impossible.

"The thing that saved us was we were prepared and we had the right equipment. There was an enormous amount of snow. It was burying and suffocating us."

The group had been in the mountains since last Saturday. Their emergency locator beacon had been broadcasting since Thursday night but there was no other sign of them.

Vicious storms bringing heavy snowfalls had swept through Mt Cook National Park. Visibility was too poor for aircraft to detect any sign of life.

Some reports stated the six were feared dead.

A window in the weather on Saturday morning allowed a helicopter to take off just after dawn but it was forced to abandon the search.

The search team's media liaison officer Senior Constable Greg Sutherland said that the conditions were the most dangerous he had seen for a long time.

With the weather closing in, another helicopter took off after 9am. Then, half an hour later, Sutherland broke the news that the group had been found.

Melissa Clerke, who celebrated her 27th birthday in the snow-filled tent on Friday night, said seeing the helicopter was a massive relief. The team was down to emergency rations, cups of soup and chocolate powder.

"I jumped in the chopper and I could feel the tears starting and when we hit the ground. That's when the tears really started to flow."

Acupuncturist David Freeland, 55, said it was a test of endurance. "At every point where there was danger, like when we were climbing through loose snow and trying to make it to the hut, my limits were tested."

Stephen Dolphin, 53, said even though the safety of Mueller Hut was just 450m away, it was impossible to reach. "When you start going down to your neck in snow, you know that you can't go any further."

Interior designer Gerald Osman, 32, admitted he was scared. "When we knew we couldn't get through to the hut and had to activate the beacon I knew that we were in trouble."

Despite earlier reports, Sutherland said the team appeared to have been pretty well-prepared, although only two members had mountaineering experience.

"They decided to hunker down and keep each other warm. They did the right thing."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story....jectid=10527454

Sign in to follow this