MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Min

Singapore - Qantas Merged

As high oil prices cripple airlines, speculation has emerged that Singapore Airlines will merge with Qantas Airways. A Singapore-Qantas merger was first envisaged in 2004, but Qantas backed away early with fears that its stronghold on the Pacific route would be compromised. The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission would take the proposal seriously, given that the airlines are strong rivals both domestically and internationally. A merger between Virgin Blue and Singapore may be more likely, and would give both airlines the capacity to challenge Qantas on the Pacific route

Distributed by News Bites. © Lexis-Nexis

If such speculation turns into reality, MH and other airlines in the region will be badly affected. Too bad, MH and SQ can never merged for many reasons.

Frankly, I really don't see that happening at all. There has been too much bad blood between QF and SQ for them to even sit down at the same table . . . let alone talk about a merger.

Personally, I do not wish to see SQ come anywhere close to any form of merger with Qantas. There is too big a gap in corporate culture, service culture and many other things. A merger between Qantas and a southeast Asian airline is good for QF, but given SQ's comprehensive coverage of Australia's key cities, I don't see it adding value to SQ. Worst still if it imports the union woes.

It would be interesting to see which are the airlines that come out of the current challenges in a healthy state . . . Lufthansa is definitely one of them.

KC Sim

This is news to me. Never hear anything at all internally. I would not even say that is is IMPOSSIBLE. Just NOT going to happen. And will NEVER.

Frankly, I really don't see that happening at all. There has been too much bad blood between QF and SQ for them to even sit down at the same table . . . let alone talk about a merger.

Personally, I do not wish to see SQ come anywhere close to any form of merger with Qantas. There is too big a gap in corporate culture, service culture and many other things. A merger between Qantas and a southeast Asian airline is good for QF, but given SQ's comprehensive coverage of Australia's key cities, I don't see it adding value to SQ. Worst still if it imports the union woes.

It would be interesting to see which are the airlines that come out of the current challenges in a healthy state . . . Lufthansa is definitely one of them.

KC Sim

I have to agree with you.. Singapore does have lots of stake in many Australian companies, eg. Optus, Australand, etc. However, marriage between SQ and QF is one that never going to happen, at least not in my lifetime.

Sign in to follow this