MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Azman MN

To post-process or not?

Hi guys,

maybe some of you pros can help - I tested a new lense today when the fog here finally lifted... was happy with the pictures straight out of camera. Then I pressed the auto levels button on A.Elements and I see a big difference. I'm not sure which is better... straight up or with PP? What do you think? I only used the "auto levels" function and can already see some potential... Any hints on how to PP this even better? Or would you suggest that I adjust the settings on my camera instead? Thanks very much for your help.

Canon 350D with the new 70-300mm IS USM

original:

user posted image

Processed:

user posted image

original:

user posted image

processed:

user posted image

Guest Fendy

actually when i process my shots i never use the auto tools. i always tweak it manually.

azman, i prefer the original. because what u see is what u get. then i would do slight editing via photoshop.

Azman,

As Fendy mentioned, I would go for post-processing

either using Photoshop or Paintshop and Neat Image,

and not using the "auto" functions, tweak it manually until it comes out "nice".

In Photoshop, the "Level" function can make corrections to

some error in camera's white balance setting. I think some camera Auto WB

is not perfect, and eventho' you're using "customised" WB, it'll changed

during the shot when colour temperature differs...

My worst example here when I forgot to change back cam's WB setting

from tungsten (internal lighting) to outside WB... LCD/EFV lowya... cannot see

properly in bright daylight..

Original

user posted image

PP using Level manually by changing the RGB levels..

user posted image

In your example, the PP ones are more colour rich as if

you're using ND filter, removing the haze.

But since you're using "Auto Level"... they're a bit over processed.

I likened the PP using PS as some minor adjustment in the dark room

during my old B&W film days... tongue.gif

And if you want to try out more,

try using "Shadow/Highlight", "Curve", "Color Balance", "Exposure"

as well as USM (Unsharp Mask in Filter)...

these are the more common editing functions used wink.gif

And also... if there're some noises (especially consumer P&S)

I would use Neat Image (www.neatimage.com) to remove the noises.

You can download the demo function & still usable. Also download

the "Device Profile" for relevant digicam model to be used.

Of course... some images came out perfect where you don't need to do PP biggrin.gif

Especially in expensive dSLR digicam.. tongue.gif

My 2sen worth.. tongue.gif

azman, i prefer the original. because what u see is what u get. then i would do slight editing via photoshop.

14040[/snapback]

Azahan,

What do you mean by 'slight editing via photoshop'?

I think that was what Azman did, a slight editing via photoshop. He mentioned that he uses a Adobe Photoshop Elements, so it still is Photoshop.

Azman,

Why not at least use the "Auto Contrast". It is just below the "Auto Level" button. Auto Level = Auto Contrast + Auto Color. So expect some color changes. But Auto Contrast alone won't affect the color that much. And I believe Auto Contrast can help to get rid of some exposure problems also.

Also, since you are using Canon EOS, I understand it is soft at default setting, unlike sharp setting straight out from Nikon DSLR. So you might have to do some sharpening also. I believe Radzi and Chaity can help, they use Canon EOS DSLR also. Most members with DSLR here use Nikon, so different post processing priorities. I use Canon FilmSLR only, so process at Fuji Digital Image labs only biggrin.gif

BTW, nice new lense there. What do you think of the lense? How is the Image Stabilization and focusing speed of the lense? And how is the image quality at 300mm setting?

Original

user posted image

PP using Level manually by changing the RGB levels..

user posted image

14047[/snapback]

Norman,

I like the first/original photo. Nostalgic look. But that women on the ship spoil the nostalgic look a bit! Maybe can use photoshop to 'hilangkan' that women. If cannot use bomoh-lah biggrin.gif

Fitri... for nostalgic look, I prefer this one

user posted image

Post-processed using desaturate, apply Sepia filter, add noise...

And for the woman... managed to get hold of Mr PadangTembaga

to removed her... laugh.gif laugh.gif

Sorry Azman, hijacked your thread pulak... tongue.gif

I am quite hopeless on post-processing; I don't even know how to use Photoshop. I use ArcSoft Photosuite that comes with my G5.

Normally what I do is adjust the contrast and levels, saturation and sharpen. And crop and resize, of course.

But Fitri is right, Canon is a bit soft straight out of the camera. But no green tinge like Nikon D70.

I think it overpowering... u can do this with photoshop. using brighness and contrast control.. biggrin.gif with photoshop will not overpowering it. auto level in photoshop also can do this.. like Norman says.

Edited by Ibrahim

Thanks guys. Sounds like the general preference is for pics to look as natural as possible with just a little bit of pp. So I tried out the contrast adjustments and unsharp mask (why do they call it unsharp?) and here's the result.

Original

user posted image

Processed

user posted image

The more I play around, the more I realize that I like the original. rolleyes.gif

I using the Brightness Adjustment on PS and this is the final product.. laugh.gif I do this because the grass show u take the shoot on a hot day..

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Ibrahim

Thanks Ibrahim, very subtle changes.. I think now I'm getting it!

Hot day? We are in winter sad.gif It was 5 degrees and my hands were shaking while taking the pic... not used to the cold yet after a nice warm autumn. Thank god I have the Image Stabilizer on the lens!

Hot day? We are in winter  sad.gif  It was 5 degrees and my hands were shaking while taking the pic... not used to the cold yet after a nice warm autumn.  Thank god I have the Image Stabilizer on the lens!

14087[/snapback]

Oh.. Hehehe.. So Stupid me laaa.. Thinking of same grass like Malaysia one. tongue.gif hahahahaha. Anyway Nice Capture you must open A.net or JP.net account now... look like u got high quality picture.. Good job. biggrin.gif

Azman,

I also did some PP with your pix... hope you don't mind wink.gif

This one I adjusted the Level individually in R,G&B

Adjust Exposure - Exposure = +0.2, Offset=-0.03 & Gamma = +1.1

Adjust Curve to balance the colour

Apply Unsharp Mask (the name comes from old darkroom technique to sharpen

blurred film images.... anoher story)

I'm using Amount=75%, Radius=1, hreshold=20

user posted image

This example, I did some cropping since you don't have a level horizon

Adjust Level individually i R, G & B

Exposure = +0.1, Offset = -0.02, Gamma =1.2

Apply Unsharp Mask with a little bit higher Amount = 130% since the image

a bit soft;

user posted image

And both I added your watermark using Photoshop...

Anybody interested of the technique... can start a new thread. tongue.gif

You can judge, since its up to beholder. tongue.gif But I like some PP

rather than staright out.

BTW For info... I tried using NeatImage to remove noises created by PP...

not worth it since they're at minimal... great digicam this 350D laugh.gif

--

Norman,

Thanks for all the tips - I have to try. Watermark? Good idea! I did not even realize that the shots were not level. Have to learn to see properly.

Min Chun.. wait lah.. Dec/Jan it will be below zero... Then go snowboarding at minus 20....

Ibrahim... grass the same... only I don't have to mow the lawn between Nov. and March...

Here's some more pics. Got the new lens a week ago. Weather mostly all fogged up... suddenly the sun came out and I rushed to the airport. Timing not so good because I just missed the SQ744, and most flights were Swiss. Plus I only have lunch break.. not a lot of time...

A330 to Dubai

user posted image

to Boston

user posted image

to Miami

user posted image

to Narita. Female co-pilot! Didn't know they do heavies. And upon arrival at narita... do they get female baggage handlers in makeup and safety helmet?... tongue.gif

user posted image

Fitri,

I really like this lens. I tried a friend's 70-200F4 L and liked that, unfortunately it is out of stock everywhere (because there is a rebate now CHF900-150 = CHF750=RM2200). While waiting, this new lens came out so after reading some reviews I grabbed it. Slightly smaller and lighter and BLACK! Costs the same as the L glass (CHF745). The IS is really helpful. Focus not as fast as the L. Quality of pics... I'm not good enough to tell.

Some close ups : @300mm (bear in mind I was shaking a bit because it was cold)

user posted image

100% crop @250mm

user posted image

not cropped @300mm

user posted image

Waooo.. Nice Nose Shoot.. Open your Account at A.net so we can see the Big size of it.. :thumbup: All the Swiss Aircraft pic Look Realy Nice. biggrin.gif

Nice shots Azman...

Really like the shots of the Swiss A330...

awesome man..

Here's some more pics. Got the new lens a week ago. Weather mostly all fogged up... suddenly the sun came out and I rushed to the airport. Timing not so good because I just missed the SQ744, and most flights were Swiss. Plus I only have lunch break.. not a lot of time...

A330 to Dubai

user posted image

to Narita. Female co-pilot! Didn't know they do heavies. And upon arrival at narita... do they get female baggage handlers in makeup and safety helmet?...  tongue.gif

user posted image

14117[/snapback]

nice wingflex there although just a bit..nice shots!

Sign in to follow this