MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Alan B.

AirAsia and Bus firm ordered to pay former Flight Attendant

From BERNAMA

AirAsia, Bus Firm Ordered To Pay Former Flight Attendant

KUALA LUMPUR, May 16 (Bernama) -- The Shah Alam Sessions Court has ordered AirAsia Sdn Bhd and a bus firm to pay RM44,164 in damages to a former flight attendant who sustained injuries in an accident while on duty.

Judge Latifah Tahar made the order after holding AirAsia and Sze Tho Enterprise fully responsible and were negligent in causing injuries to Balkhis Abu Bakar while she was taking a bus to Subang Airport in March 2001.

Balkhis, 48, a mother of five, was at the time an AirAsia flight attendant.

Sze Tho Enterprise was the bus company contracted by AirAsia to ferry its employees to work.

Latifah said that after hearing testimonies of witnesses and scrutinising all the documents, the court found that AirAsia had been negligent.

AirAsia and Sze Tho were also directly responsible for the injuries and losses sustained by Balkhis, she added.

"On the part of Kurnia Insurans Berhad, meanwhile, the court finds nothing in terms of liability. Therefore AirAsia's claim against Kurnia Insurans is dismissed with costs," she said.

Balkhis, who was accompanied by her husband Md Tahir Omar, 50, told reporters later that she was happy and satisfied with the court's decision after more than seven years waiting for justice.

She filed the suit in 2001.

From BERNAMA

At that particular time AK was still owned by the conglomerate DRB Hicom.TuneAir bought AirAsia Bhd in Dec 2001 and that incident happened earlier in 2001.I joined the company in Mar 2002 and we operated out from the APAC building.But as far as legality goes I guess the present management has to take the responsibility and liability I guess.

She was 41 of age when it happened. AK used to employ old FA?

She was working on Hajj Charters that was operated by AK.

Sign in to follow this