MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jessnor Arif

Airlines 'should be forced to increase leg room'

The Independence

An excerpt

Airlines should be forced by a change in the law to provide two inches more leg room on board passenger jets, a cross-party committee of peers said in a report on air travel.

The Lords committee on science and technology accused the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of ignoring its own research which recommended the regulatory minimum distance between seats should be increased to 28.2ins (71.6cm) or ideally to 29.4ins from a current minimum of 26ins

The lack of leg room for seating in passenger jets has been linked to scares over deep vein thrombosis (DVT) which can cause fatal blood clots, particularly on long-haul flights. The research also showed more space between seats could allow passengers to evacuate planes more safely in an emergency.

The fact that many airlines already provide this suggests a regulatory requirement would not place onerous demands on the industry." The peers also criticised the Government for increasing the tax on airlines who have been attracting passengers with long legs by offering premium economy seats on long haul flights.

The roomier economy seats which made travel more comfortable for taller passengers were taxed at the higher rate of air passenger duty for business and first class tickets which was doubled in February to £80.

"Given that the premium economy seating appears to be one way in which airlines are catering for the health requirements of taller passengers, premium economy should be taxed at the standard rate of air passenger duty," said the Lords committee.

If IATA or another international law could set up this I would say cheers! :drinks: It would be an outcome for a tall guy like me! KLM is now demanding € 50,-- for every freaking seat where's a little more legspace! Bastards! :sorry:

KLM is now demanding € 50,-- for every freaking seat where's a little more legspace! Bastards! :sorry:

Tell me which airline is more comfortable after your Japan trip: AY or KL !!! :p

Sign in to follow this