MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Hardeep P.

A reply from MAS MD- Dato Seri Idris Jala!

Hi MWings friends, here is an email from MAS-MD, Idris Jala.

Enjoy!!

Hi Hardeep,

Many thanks for your email and the suggestions. We are in the midst of working through our fleet plan. A rather complex activity, we have to develop a clear view of our network in the next 20 years - destinations, routes and frequencies. Only when that is made can one then go into aircraft choice and bidding. We should finalise this work sometime next year latest.

Our business turnaround plan (47 page word document) is available to the public in our web-site and it is self explanatory in terms of business direction, strategy, competition, financials, etc. This should deal with the questions you have on MAS, such as those in your email.

Again thanks for showing so much interest in Malaysia Airlines.

Idris

----- Original Message -----

To: Idris Jala

Sent: Thu Nov 01 00:47:29 2007

Subject: MAS FLEET Renewal

Dear Dato Seri Idris,

Greetings from Ireland. Hope you are well. Dont know whether you still are able to recall me. I contacted you once or twice whilst you were the SMDS (M) Managing Director & VP- Gas & power, SHELL MALAYSIA abt the SMDS plant. Really glad you are now the MD of MAS and I am looking forward to meeting with you in the not to distant future. I remember meeting you once while you were still MKRC- Retail Area Manager-Central when my late father Harbhajan Singh was the Operations Manager for Shell Malaysia then.

I have a deep passion in both SHELL and MAS. Although I have been away from Malaysia for the last 14 yrs now, I still feel for MAS. I am also an avid collector of aeroplane models and after having studied both medicine and obtained my postgraduate degree in chemical engineering continue to do so. Although i dont see much connection in both at the moment.

Anyways, just like to know the fleet renewal plan for MAS. Your neighbours like SIA and TG have all replenished their wide body and narrow body and i feel strongly that MAS should do same as soon as possible.

These are my humble views. On what fleet MAS should procure, I feel storngly for the 747-8, 777-300ER for the wide body selection and 737-800 for the narrow body selection. As for the medium body- think A330s are still usable and good for regional/trunk routes like in ASIA. I compare the fleet standardisation to SHELL's own company road transport fleet standardisation back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s when at one point, they had SCANIA tankers as well as VOLVO Tankers and they decided to standardise all their tankers to VOLVO. So, same can be done. Imagine how much savings can MAS make from all these standadisation. As for the A380s, feel MAS should cancel all the orders and get compensation and buy more A330s instead. Some of the A330s can further be leased out to AIR ASIA and other regional airlines.

I think I must speak for my fellow collectors and myself about aircraft model collection. MAS should re-introduce certain 1:400 scale models in the GOLDEN BOUTIQUE such as the 777-200ER (VMY 2007) and 747-400 (VMY 2007). I dont see any being done at the moment. Also, a GB store should be opened at KLIA.

I am a MWings member and I have noticed that MAS services have gone down and are appalling since 2006. I think MAS should reevaluate their strategy and approach of being a 5star airline with low cost. Like in SHELL "MORE UPSTREAM with profitable Downstream, MAS should do same. Mas should stop competiing with AIR ASIA but look into comparing with the best airliners in the world. Namely BA, QF KLM-AF, SIA, CX, JAL for that matter. I have been to all of these airliners both as an economy class and business class passenger so I know whats good and not so good.

Thanks for reading my email. My apologies for troubling you. Hope to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards

HARDEEP S HUNDAL

Gee, he answered the first part ok i guess. It's understandable that their fleet us dependent upon routes and frequencies, and he gave a deadline *gasps*! Well we know how well MH does with deadlines ;)

But he could have replied to your questions on collectibles and service.

Thanks Hardeep. IJ's reply - New take on talking a lot without meaning anything at all. MH way, hassle free all the way

Also, looks like it was sent quite fast. What was the response time from IJ?

Also, looks like it was sent quite fast. What was the response time from IJ?Time email was sent to time taken for email reply was not more than 4-5hrs. Thanks Wong. But he could have replied to your questions on collectibles and service.Yes, he sure could have replied the collectibles and the services.I was hoping tp get a longer email from him but guess this is sufficient. He must be a bz man and especially when i received the email reply, it was like 6am/7am Malaysia TIME. Wonder whether he is at office so early.But the MAS fleet renewal, i dont buy that. What difference does it make if they order 777-300ER or A350s or the 787 for their current route network.

IJ sure played it safe when replying to u, Hardeep. I'm sure he could have answered all your queries but was probably worried that his email might end up in public forum. So I guess we'll never know their plans!!

Sign in to follow this