MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Jessnor Arif

All business flight in Asia

Today I read Europe's Time Magazine. There 's an article about "all bussiness class" flight of Silverjet between London-and New York is getting crowded with almost daily flight about 70% of capacity.

If this bussiness model were to be implement here in Asia, How viable would it be? with route like SZB-SIN, SZB-DEL, SZB-DXB, SZB-PVG, and so on?

Today I read Europe's Time Magazine. There 's an article about "all bussiness class" flight of Silverjet between London-and New York is getting crowded with almost daily flight about 70% of capacity.

If this bussiness model were to be implement here in Asia, How viable would it be? with route like SZB-SIN, SZB-DEL, SZB-DXB, SZB-PVG, and so on?

Honestly speaking, the market for "all business class" flights between destinations IN the ASEAN region, is feasible, though frequencies would be on the low side, and aircraft size would most probably be a narrowbody.

Silverjet is also starting operations into DXB ex- LHR (IIRC) starting November 18th.

The flight has to be of reasonable length for such a service on a widebody to be viable. Most corporate travel managers would only approve J travel for employees on flights above a certain length.

Taking a wild stab, I'd say SIN-NRT would justify such a service. The flight is approximately 6-7 hours which makes it palatable for corporate travel policy J travel approval, and is constantly booked out in business on the carriers doing the route, even in full fare J.

For narrowbody and short hauls - there's ANA business jet. :)

Edited by Keith T

Silverjet is also starting operations into DXB ex- LHR (IIRC) starting November 18th.

Think they will fly from LTN, bro, where they've a dedicated lounge facility...besides, LHR is slotted and too expensive to get those... ;)

Think they will fly from LTN, bro, where they've a dedicated lounge facility...besides, LHR is slotted and too expensive to get those... ;)

Then there's EOS (an American carrier) ex-STN. :)

Both airlines actually market departing exSTN or LTN as an advantage over flying BA/VS out of the circus that is LHR.

I've read many very positive trip reports of both airlines thus far. :good:

Edited by Keith T

Then there's EOS (an American carrier) ex-STN. :)

Both airlines actually market departing exSTN or LTN as an advantage over flying BA/VS out of the circus that is LHR.

I've read many very positive trip reports of both airlines thus far. :good:

and........don't forget Maxjet ex STN as well: for photos - see my STN trippie @ Obs Hill :pardon:

these EOS colours are very classy IMHO, as lot better than Silverjet ;)

and........don't forget Maxjet ex STN as well: for photos - see my STN trippie @ Obs Hill :pardon:

these EOS colours are very classy IMHO, as lot better than Silverjet ;)

Maxjet's seats aren't lie flat unlike its counterparts, so I'd deduce that the cabins of Silverjet and EOS are more comfy. I hope to check out EOS or Silverjet one day... maybe wait till they start being AAdvantage mileage partners. :p

Hmm I looked through 2 pages of obs hill but couldn't find your trippie. :huh:

edited to add : or did you mean this report of yours which is actually in flight logbook? :pardon:"

Edited by Keith T

Hmm I looked through 2 pages of obs hill but couldn't find your trippie. :huh:

:sorry: :sorry: :sorry: Flight Logbook :sorry: :sorry: :sorry:

though frequencies would be on the low side

I have to agree with you with that..

aircraft size would most probably be a narrowbody.

Why do you think that it would probably be a narrowbody?

I think the medium size plane like B787 or A330 offer more spaces thus more amenities for this type of service.

The way I see it, narrow bodies like B737 or A320 doesn't have enough space to accommodate business class level. Hmm maybe for 2 abreast seat will provide enough space but that won't be helping the plane to break even.

I have to agree with you with that..

Why do you think that it would probably be a narrowbody?

I think the medium size plane like B787 or A330 offer more spaces thus more amenities for this type of service.

The way I see it, narrow bodies like B737 or A320 doesn't have enough space to accommodate business class level. Hmm maybe for 2 abreast seat will provide enough space but that won't be helping the plane to break even.

I am not a professional in this arena, nor have i conducted enough research to justify any findings...but im using the "common sense" thing for this one.

The cost of obtaining a 787 and A330, coupled with maintenance fees, and the cost of outfitting that ENTIRE WIDEBODY aircraft...lets say that its X Million ringgit.

We've already agreed that there hasnt been such a service implemented in Asia (bar ANA Business Jet...but thats a subsidiary right?), thus start up costs, costs of obtaining licenses, marketing (the whole shabang...market research, market analysis etc), renting out office space, employing workers...lets say thats another Y million ringgit.

Do you honestly think that X+Y can be recovered in a realistic period of time in a market where demand simply isnt as great as it is in another, more affluent parts of the world?

It wouldnt be financially feasible...to operate such widebody aircrafts, when the demand simply doesnt justify the usage. Whats the point of outfitting an entire 787 or A330 with Business Class seats, when only a third of the aircraft will be occupied? Remember, an empty seat is losing the airline business, MUCH more an empty J class seat O_o

Come to think of it, is there any widebody fitted out for these 'business class only' services ? (Private jets don't count obviously) As far as I am aware of and can remember, there are only B73?'s - are there any A320's even ?

Bear in mind also, the extra few pax any widebody accomodates will probably diminish the aura of exclusivity of the 'club like' service. Perhaps, small is better in this case !

Such an offering could well prove successful here in MY - goodness knows we've got enough menteri's, timbalan menteri's, setiausaha this and that, pengarah this and that, pegawai's galore - all feeding on the gravy train !! :)

Such an offering could well prove successful here in MY - goodness knows we've got enough menteri's, timbalan menteri's, setiausaha this and that, pengarah this and that, pegawai's galore - all feeding on the gravy train !! :)

If i owned such an airline...

i'll sell them as many seats as possible...then "accidentally" slip the bill to the papers "by accident"

Im only human maa...can make mistakes right... :rofl:

It wouldnt be financially feasible...to operate such widebody aircrafts, when the demand simply doesnt justify the usage. Whats the point of outfitting an entire 787 or A330 with Business Class seats, when only a third of the aircraft will be occupied? Remember, an empty seat is losing the airline business, MUCH more an empty J class seat O_o

Hmm Good argument :clapping: :clapping:.. so basically you are suggesting, start small before expanding with a bang, right?

Come to think of it, is there any widebody fitted out for these 'business class only' services ? (Private jets don't count obviously) As far as I am aware of and can remember, there are only B73?'s - are there any A320's even ?

SilverJet operates wit B757.

Another open question...

Given a choice, what kind of perks will you all be clamoring from "Business class only" flight service apart from late check-in, a gourmet meal, very comfort seat on board,and computer station on seat, for let say short haul from less 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour flight, for medium haul 2 hour to 3 hour flight, and for long haul 4 to 5 flight?

SilverJet operates wit B757.

Correction: Silverjet operate 767-200...EOS operates 757's :pardon:

Sign in to follow this