MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Denny Yen

Suvarnabhumi Airport

I stand corrected. Suvarnabhumi indeed means "Land of Gold"

Bangkok's new airport, due to be completed September, is called Suvarnabhumi, which means "golden land." However, the decades-old project has proven to be a public relations minefield. Engineers have battled construction difficulties and opposition leaders charge that costs for the $5 billion facility have been inflated by corruption.

From: http://quickstart.clari.net/voa/art/gj/2005-08-22-voa30.htm

Maybe I was confused with the news report saying the airport original site was actually on marshland infested with poisonous cobras.

Some people in BKK told me that there are a lot of snakes at that area before they build it.

I use to work in BKK back in 1998...since then, the foundation of the airport was there already. Even the 2 runway and few taxiway are all completed but no asphalt laid on it.

Grass/Green area between runway and taxiway was also already there.

i got to dig out some old photos i took back then....dont know where it is!! mad.gif

Just a quick heads up.

4 years after being officiated, finally, by August 2010, passengers travelling through Suvarnabhumi International will get to experience the Suvarnabhumi Airport Rail Link, a dedicated rail operation serving the airport from central Bangkok, akin to our KLIA Express. Suvarnabhumi is the largest and busiest airport in South East Asia.

The train operator is throwing in a discount for a period of 1 year for the train line users, as follows:

First Year Promotion - 10-20 Baht for Airport Link City Line 50 Baht for Airport Express

Prachachat Thurakij - 12-14 July 2010

http://www.prachachat.net/view_news.php?newsid=02rea08120753&sectionid=0217&day=2010-07-12

SRT Governor interviewing with correspondents form Prachat Thurakij that

1. City Line version of Airport Link would be opened on 23 August 2010 with the special first year promotion of 10 Baht (1 Ringgit - 40 Cent Singapores) for 1-7 station and 20 Baht (2 Ringgit - 80 Cent Singapores) for Phayathai - Suvannabhumi

Schedule: 5 AM to 1 AM

The interval = 20 Minutes

Travel Time = 28-30 Minutes

2. Express verison of Airport link would be opened on 23 September 2010 with the special first year promotion of 50 Baht (5 Ringgit - 2 Singapore Dollars)

Schedule: 5 AM to 1 AM

The interval = 15 Minutes

Travel Time = 15 Minutes

City Air Terminal Checkin at New Makkasan would not be opened until SRT has officially opened the Subsidiary

The first day for free ride (1 June 2010): 3,000 Men

The latest figure for free ride (5 July 2010): 10,500 Men

Daily passenger Target of Airport Link:

The first year: 30,000-50,000 passengers a day for City Line - 10,000 passengers a day for Express

Real Goal: 50,000 passengers a day or better for City Line - 20,000 passengers a day or better for Express

How about that huh? RM 2 for a KLIA-Transit-train-ride-like in Bangkok? By the way, they also will be having a city check-in facility just like we have here in KL Sentral, at Makkasan City Air Terminal in central Bangkok, where this train line is going to be concentrated at.

Sign in to follow this