MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Keith T

Hainan Airlines applies for oneworld membership

Just saw this, even though it seems pretty old news by now:

http://www.chinahospitalitynews.com/2007/0...world-alliance/

Hainan Airlines Plans to Join Oneworld Alliance

March 12, 2007

Hainan Airlines, the fourth largest airline company in China, has announced plans to launch two new routes and join the Oneworld Alliance this year to make up for its shortage in overseas airline networks.

The two new planned routes are a Beijing to Osaka route opening on March 25, and a Beijing to St. Petersburg line starting in May 2007.

A senior manager from Hainan Airlines disclosed that the company had already passed their application to the Oneworld Alliance, and Japan Airlines, a member of Oneworld Alliance, who is sharing its code with Hainan Airlines, will be the recommender for this application.

Air China has joined Star Alliance and China Southern has joined the SkyTeam Alliance, so among the four largest airlines companies in China, only China Eastern hasn't any acted to join an international aviation alliance.

Li Jiaxiang, board chairman of Air China, said that it is hard for an airline company to make a great development by only depending on its own power under today's competition in the global aviation industry. Joining international aviation alliances means airline companies in China can extend their networks all over the world with the support of partners.

This really a shocking news to me.

If Hainan is going to be in the OneWorld, will HK Airlines and Hong Kong Express follow, also those subsidiaries of the group in China market?

I just wonder if they serve Hainanese chicken rice onboard... -_-

According to the article I posted here: http://www.malaysianwings.com/forum/index....st&p=113800

oneworld doesn't seem to be that interested.

They're more interested in grabbing that big fish that's China Eastern.

Whether a subsidiary joins the alliance along with its parent is up to the agreement they;ve forged with oneworld. For example when JL joined oneworld, all but 2 of its subsidiaries joined as affiliate members. And when LAN Peru and LAN Argentina joined the LAN alliance, they also signed up to oneworld as affiliates. And most recently, when CX acquired KA, the latter was signed up to oneworld as an affiliate. In addition, most of the oneworld members have their subsidiaries and franchises as oneworld affiliates, except JQ which is an LCC.

On the other hand, this does not appear to be the case for Star Alliance members.

Edited by Keith T

I just wonder if they serve Hainanese chicken rice onboard... -_-

Then any Singaporean Fired Rice Noodles on SIA? :rofl: :rofl:

Just joking~~ :drinks:

They're more interested in grabbing that big fish that's China Eastern.

Getting MU to join OneWorld?

I think this will come true, except SQ can't get the shares from MU.

I think this will come true, except SQ can't get the shares from MU.[/color]

Well - even if SQ acquires shares in MU I don't think it's a death sentence for MU's entry to oneworld. CX owns shares in CA who's joining *A. So there's precedent for cross alliance ownership. I also do not think SQ is as enthusiastic about its membership of *A as to try to block MU from joining ow or any other alliance.

Wow, this cross border, cross alliance ownership is getting real interesting - again globalisation at its murkiest I say ! Anyone else envisage the day if and when say *A and OW merges, perhaps with ST as an associate member of the newly merged alliance ?! :)

Wow, this cross border, cross alliance ownership is getting real interesting - again globalisation at its murkiest I say ! Anyone else envisage the day if and when say *A and OW merges, perhaps with ST as an associate member of the newly merged alliance ?! :)

That'd kinda defeat the purpose. Plus I think the anti trust people will have something to say about that. ;)

The main difference between Star and oneworld as I see it:

- Star: Trying to create a single 'Star Alliance' brand - co-located lounges, Star Alliance liveries etc Member airlines try to leverage on their Star Alliance membership to pitch themselves at the world scale.

- oneworld: A brand that exists in the high standards, yet unique identities of its individual airlines. They make oneworld what it is rather than the other way round.

But at the end of the day they thrive on the philosophy that no single airline can offer such a wide network on its own. Oh and seamless FFP mileage accrual. :D

Edited by Keith T