MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Naim

AirAsia's KL-Banda Aceh Service Begins Next Month

Banda Aceh, here I come!

+++

March 31, 2007 12:40 PM

AirAsia's KL-Banda Aceh Service Begins Next Month

BANDA ACEH, March 31 (Bernama) -- Budget airline AirAsia will start Kuala Lumpur-Banda Aceh flights next month.

Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor said he was informed of the service by the airlines' chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes recently.

The minister said he had also asked Penang-based Firefly, the country's second low-cost carrier, to look into the feasibility of operating Penang-Banda Aceh, Penang-Medan and Penang-Lhok Seumawe flights.

"I will continue discussions with Malaysia Airlines (MAS) managing director Idris Jala for the national carrier to operate direct flights from Penang to Banda Aceh, Medan and Lhok Seumawe," he told Malaysian and Indonesian journalists after launching the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 promotion here.

Tengku Adnan is in Indonesia on a three-day visit to Medan and Banda Aceh to promote the Visit Malaysia Year campaign and to woo more Indonesians, especially from north Sumatra, to visit Malaysia.

On the absence of a Customs, Immigration and Quarantine (CIQ) complex at Aceh Airport, Tengku Adnan hoped the matter would be resolved soon by the Acehnese authorities.

On the VMY 2007 promotion in Banda Aceh, Tengku Adnan said it would further strengthen Malaysia-Aceh ties.

Meanwhile, Aceh deputy governor Muhammad Nazar, who was also present at the press conference, said efforts are underway to provide CIQ facilities at the airport.

-- BERNAMA

Banda Aceh, here I come!

+++

Did you book a trip on AK already, Naim ? :huh:

Looking forward to your comprehensive story (if you did), as always wanted to go there myself :pardon:

wow... great... very much want to visit acheh...

and there are many achenese in malaysia actually... not working as manual labour, but traders and businessmen... mostly grocery stores in klang valley. So i think the route will be successful.

Booking haven't started yet (of course along with the usual full page print advertisement), would be interesting to see how much is the launch fare.

Did you book a trip on AK already, Naim ? :huh:

Looking forward to your comprehensive story (if you did), as always wanted to go there myself :pardon:

Nope, not open for booking yet, but normally introductory prices are quite low. Anyway, I dunno what to expect in Banda Aceh yet, esp. after being decimated by Tsunami 2004. :pardon:

Btw, I'm due for Padang/Bukittinggi in early July.

+++

I strongly believe that this would be a great boost to the local Aceh economy, both by the business community and tourists. There might not be as many things to see or do as in Medan or Padang but I believe many travellers wish to give it a go for the sake of helping the local economy or try to see with their own eyes the devastating effects of the tsunami. It's not the kind of tourism that appeals to everyone, but the market is there I believe.

Most airlines routes are launched purely on profit basis, it's no different with AK but if this is their own little way to help open up Aceh, then kudos to AK! If all goes well, I dare say that KUL would be *the* premier gateway to Aceh as AK (and KUL) grows ever bigger. Nearby Medan is hardly a global hub while Jakarta is some 3 hours away in this huge archipelagic nation.

Being half-Indonesian (Acehnese) this is great to hear. I too would like to visit Aceh some day, and when I do perhaps I could fly via KUL!

Edited by Richard A

Wow AK is spreading it wings bigger.... but wat ever happened to its planned KCH-JKT and KCH-BKK route?

as suppose to start this year

April 10, 2007 17:50 PM

Banda Aceh Wants To Emulate Malaysian Tourism Sector

By Normalazwa Jamaludin

PUTRAJAYA, April 10 (Bernama) -- On 26 Dec 2004, Banda Aceh was hit by a tsunami that killed more than 150,000 people.

The scale of destruction was unimaginable but since then, the resilient Acehnese have slowly rebuild their lives and Banda Aceh. Peace have returned in Aceh as the Gerakan Aceh Merdeka militants finally agreed to lay down arms now that there is an autonomous Aceh government elected by the people of the province.

Tourism Minister Datuk Seri Tengku Adnan Tengku Mansor and entourage received a warm welcome when they were there recently to promote Visit Malaysia Year 2007 (VMY'07). The Malaysians were obviously pleased with the development in the province.

Aceh's Deputy Governor Muhammad Nazar when met by Malaysian reporters in Banda Aceh, said that though the present government is focused on infrastructure and housing development in the aftermath of tsunami, it sees the economic viability of developing the tourism sector for which VMY'07 is a good inspiration.

"The tsunami had brought complete destruction but now that the situation is almost back to normal and we are really hoping for Malaysian tourists to visit Aceh," he said.

He said Aceh has many historical and cultural sites of interest to offer.

"In future, we can cooperate in the tourism aspect and showcase the devastation caused by tsunami, especially the ship that was swept 4km inland.

GETTING READY TO RECEIVE VISITORS

Aceh is increasingly accessible through direct flight and sea routes.

He said they have had meetings with both tourism players in Malaysia and officials of Tourism Malaysia, with a view of learning from Malaysia's experience.

Muhammad said the runway at the Sultan Iskandarmuda airport in Banda Aceh is being upgraded and a customs, immigration and quarantine (CIQ) centre is already in place.

With the efforts being taken, it is hoped that by within the next two years, the airport can equal its counterpart in Batam.

The Aceh community also welcomes the Kuala Lumpur-Banda Aceh direct flights to be operated by AirAsia effective April.

"The flights from Malaysia should have started several months ago when we got the CIQ ready but unfortunately, it was postponed. We hope that it will take off in April, " he said.

Nonetheless, on Sunday, AirAsia's CEO Datuk Tony Fernandez announced that the services to Banda Aceh would only begin in June.

COOPERATION WITH MALAYSIA

Muhammad said Aceh hope to learn more on the tourism sector from Malaysia more and train its workforce accordingly.

Visitors who come to Banda Aceh need not worry about accommodation as there are many hotels with more are coming up.

"Aceh is ready to greet Malaysians as already there are many foreigners in Aceh," he said.

Presently, there are a number of expatriates working with non-governmental organisations (NGO) in Aceh. They are indirectly contributing towards the tourism sector as they not only work here but also take the opportunity to visit local attractions.

Other than tourism, Aceh is cooperating with other nations especially in the agriculture and fisheries sectors.

"We are working with Thailand in the fisheries sector and with Felda and Felcra from Malaysia in the agricultural sector," he said.

TWO-WAY TOURISM

Meanwhile, Tengku Adnan said he had requested Malaysia's first community airline Firefly Sdn Bhd (Firefly), based in Penang, to commence direct flights to several cities in north of Sumatera from Penang.

He cited the lack of direct air links between Banda Aceh and Malaysia as the stumbling block in promoting two-way tourism.

Direct flights from Penang to Banda Aceh, Medan and Lhokseumawe are among the strategies to promote two-way tourism between both destinations.

In addition, the sea link using a ferry from Belawan port to Penang and Lumut are also available, he added.

Muhammad hope that Malaysians will make their way to Aceh whether for leisure or business. Aceh has lots to offer to visitors though Mother Nature might not have been kind to her.

-- BERNAMA

http://bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=255919

Sign in to follow this