MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
E Faizal

Kelate Aeypot

Heh heh. A fellow wanted to appear as a local when buying mempelam in Kelantan. SO he asked for the fruit in his best Kelantanese, but bungled it. Can you try saying buah mempelam in Kelantanese slang? If you can, and you know how it's actually called, you'll get the joke. Hee hee.

...and hence the word 'pauh'... B)

Hafiez, although I've left Kelantan for more than 30 years I think I have to correct you there.

Tigo sa mah = 3 pieces for RM0.50

So RM1.50 = tigo mah

Although RM1.00 should be 'duo mah' they prefer to call it 'seghia'.

So RM2.00 = duo ghia

That conludes the class for today. For further classes do ask the real Kelantanese.

Ehemm, ehem... students of Kelantanese 101, let me correct a few things here... :-)

yes, you're right Mr Maarpf. Tigo sa mah means 3 pieces fr 50 sen. However for RM1.50 it is Tigo Amah not Tiga Mah. The "mah" is exclusively for "sa mah" for 50 sen and "tigo amah" for RM1.50.

Would like to add that, it is a joke as well (tough a bit distasteful- mod please remove this if it offends), that Indians in Kelantan will always say "Pat ringgit" for four ringgit (instead of "ghia") for potentially derogatory accidental homophonal reasons.

And yes, Kelantanese uses another word for mangoes. It is "pauh", so avoid trying to Kelantanasize "mempelam". It's the same reason why the Perak royal doesn't have "Tengku Mahkota" but "Raja Muda".

That, I'd like a Perakian explain.

:-)

Ehemm, ehem... students of Kelantanese 101, let me correct a few things here... :-)

yes, you're right Mr Maarpf. Tigo sa mah means 3 pieces fr 50 sen. However for RM1.50 it is Tigo Amah not Tiga Mah. The "mah" is exclusively for "sa mah" for 50 sen and "tigo amah" for RM1.50.

Would like to add that, it is a joke as well (tough a bit distasteful- mod please remove this if it offends), that Indians in Kelantan will always say "Pat ringgit" for four ringgit (instead of "ghia") for potentially derogatory accidental homophonal reasons.

And yes, Kelantanese uses another word for mangoes. It is "pauh", so avoid trying to Kelantanasize "mempelam". It's the same reason why the Perak royal doesn't have "Tengku Mahkota" but "Raja Muda".

That, I'd like a Perakian explain.

:-)

Thanks for the correction, Ewan.

For the confusion about the mango why not just call it 'mangga' as we normally do. It solves all pronouncation problems.

Well, for 'Tengku Mahkota' and 'Raja Muda', well Johor I think has or had both. How's that?

Thanks for the correction, Ewan.

For the confusion about the mango why not just call it 'mangga' as we normally do. It solves all pronouncation problems.

Well, for 'Tengku Mahkota' and 'Raja Muda', well Johor I think has or had both. How's that?

Hehehe... 'pauh' seems easier to pronounce to these budu-doused tongues. :-) Probably because it involves a diphthong instead of another syllable.

Oh, my point on Tengku Mahkota and Raja Muda is this:

Try pronounce this is Perakian accent:

"Mahu jumpa siapa di istana tu ha?". Then answer, "Tengku MahKOTA" in the same accent.

Sign in to follow this