MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Ong

British Airways or American Airlines?

British Airways or American Airlines?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. British Airways or American Airlines?

• British Airways (BA)
    • American Airlines (AA)

Yesterday, my friend asked me which airline will be better because he is going to go London which a group called "Eagle Rock Stage" and I don't know, and my drama (play production) teacher, Mr. Copley said that they have a choice between BA or AA (only one can be chosen), so can you please help me to recommend either airline for his London Trip and my drama teacher?

Thanks!!!!

BA by a long mile.

But if he intends to collect FF mileage on AAdvantage, then he should note that he cannot earn mileage on BA on transatlantic flights to/from the US.

BA BA BA , no AA, they suck so bad and more expensive than BA, but their service is not up to date like BA...........

Keith, can AAdvantage card get miles from BA???? I thought they are OneWorld? :)

Keith, can AAdvantage card get miles from BA???? I thought they are OneWorld? :)

AAdvantage members can earn miles on all BA flights except transatlantic flights to/from the US. The same restriction applies to members of BAEC on AA flights. Some weird agreement they had to avoid looking like too much of a monopoly to the anti-trust authorities on the LHR-USA sectors.

Edited by Keith T

So the final answer is British Airways; Thanks everyone :drinks: :clapping:

American Airlines = Greyhound of the skies :D

BA all the way out of these two options..

but why not VS mate?

but why not VS mate?

My drama teacher hates Virgin Atlantic Airways because he said the airline tickets cost too much

My drama teacher hates Virgin Atlantic Airways because he said the airline tickets cost too much

I see :) Are they relatively more expensive though? I always thought VS' modus operandi was to undercut BA/AA in lieu of their transatlantic partnership (which subsequently failed???).. hence the slogan which featured on the fuselage of VS birds for a while "No Way BA/AA"

my dad just read this topic, he really suggest AA. He flew ORD-LHR twice last year, once on BA and once on AA, he said AA serve better. he also get to use his AAdvantage to get miles.

my dad just read this topic, he really suggest AA. He flew ORD-LHR twice last year, once on BA and once on AA, he said AA serve better. he also get to use his AAdvantage to get miles.

There might not be any real difference in economy class on ORD-LHR (or NYC-LHR/DFW-LHR etc) as AA uses its 777 with PTVs on that sector. AA also has slightly more leg room in Y. However, if you get AA's mccrappy 763s - BA is clearly superior. In business and F, BA is also the better airline. BA has also just launched the first phase of its New Generation Club World service which includes a midflight ice cream run, replaced 'Raid the Larder' with 'Club Kitchen' where you can get salads, smoothies and substantial hot snacks in between meals, metal napkin rings, and new linen. I might be biased though as I have friends working for BA so be careful of what I say. ;)

I used to fly via MEX or Canada to get my AAdvantage mileage while flying BA, since the restriction only applies to flights to the US. Now if only AA and BA would swap their FFPs around...

Edited by Keith T

I see :) Are they relatively more expensive though? I always thought VS' modus operandi was to undercut BA/AA in lieu of their transatlantic partnership (which subsequently failed???).. hence the slogan which featured on the fuselage of VS birds for a while "No Way BA/AA"

Maybe I have to tell my drama teacher to look into VS instead of BA/AA.

Maybe you can look into other EU carriers as they might provide cheaper fares due the transit.

Maybe you can look into other EU carriers as they might provide cheaper fares due the transit.

Or fly via the East Coast USA (I'm guessing you are in CA :D )

CO? CX? so many options! :)

The world is your oyster, my friend :) But be cost-wise when you do it.. and that includes not being "penny wise and pound foolish"

That's always a sensible option.

I'm not sure whether it happens the other way round, but I've always found that BA fares to the USA originating from another European city like AMS or FCO are often much cheaper due to the need to transit in LHR. Sometimes FCO-LHR-JFK can be up to 70% cheaper in club than LHR-JFK, including the elcheapo ticket you'd need to tag on for LHR-FCO-LHR! :drinks:

That's always a sensible option.

I'm not sure whether it happens the other way round, but I've always found that BA fares to the USA originating from another European city like AMS or FCO are often much cheaper due to the need to transit in LHR. Sometimes FCO-LHR-JFK can be up to 70% cheaper in club than LHR-JFK, including the elcheapo ticket you'd need to tag on for LHR-FCO-LHR! :drinks:

hmmm mabe take AZ before something happens to them (god forbid) :) Then at least you can say you've flown Alitalia :)

I think Virgin Atlantic Airways, British Airways and American Airlines are the only airlines that takes you from Los Angeles to London Heathrow :o .

I think Virgin Atlantic Airways, British Airways and American Airlines are the only airlines that takes you from Los Angeles to London Heathrow :o .

United

Air New Zealand

Continental

Is your teacher only limited to AA or BA due to corporate policy?

Otherwise, I think NZ is an excellent alternative for LAX-LHR. :)

Of the direct options, this is how I'd rank those airlines service-wise (that's without regard to FF accrual, which as you'd know, is always a factor if i'm the one travelling :D):

1) NZ

2) BA

3) VS

4) UA

5) CO/AA

Edited by Keith T

What I am trying to say is, if your teacher is willing to transit, he will have more choices and most probably it will be cheaper as well (direct non stop is usually more expensive).

For example :

IPB Image

Can someone help me to find the flight schedule from any airline from Los Angeles to London Heathrow (the ones with the number of stops is also okay) for March 30, 2007 to April 8, 2007 :pardon: ?

Edited by Andrew Ong

Sign in to follow this