MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Seng Lim

BAE146 skidded off in Norway

Below is the news from BBC :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6036321.stm

Norway runway blaze kills three

The aircraft skidded off the runway as it was landing

Three people have been killed after a charter plane caught fire and skidded off a runway as it landed in Norway.

Thirteen people were rescued from the burning aircraft - which was carrying 16 in all - at Stord airport.

The plane had taken off from Sola airport, near Stavanger, and was due to fly on to Molde further up the coast after a stopover.

The three dead were found in the wreckage, having originally been reported missing.

Rescue officials said the 13 survivors were not seriously injured.

The cause of the accident was not immediately clear.

The BAe 146-200 jet was operated by Atlantic Airways of the Faroe Islands.

Fritz Arne Lilleskog, of the district police, said the heat from the fire had slowed efforts to search the wreckage.

that's look very bad.

Link to news i found this with pix but don't understand the language, in Danish i guess.

Link to news

in Danish i guess.

VG is a Norwegian paper; this is what the airline's CEO had to say:

Press release from Atlantic Airways

We at Atlantic Airways regret to announce that one of our aircraft a BAe 146, OY- CRG. Flight No.: RC 670 has become involved in an accident in Stord in Norway when it after landing overran the runway and was damaged and caught fire.

The accident occurred at 07.35 local time

13 have survived the accident - 10 passengers and 3 crewmembers. They are all located in hospital. Three persons have lost their lives; 2 passengers and 1 crew member.

Onboard the aircraft were 12 passengers and 4 crewmembers.

Of those were:

10 Norwegian

1 Foreigners

Three crewmembers where Faroese and one was Danish.

A delegation with participants from Atlantic Airways, the Civil Aviation Accident Investigation Board and the Danish Civil Aviation Authorities are now on their way to the accident area.

Atlantic Airways have furthermore established a working group, which in cooperation with the insurance companies who will take care of all questions connected with the accident.

All relatives of passengers from the aircraft will be contacted by Atlantic Airways and be kept updated on the situation.

As soon as further information about the accident is available, we will put out a press release and call in for a press conference.

Until new press releases are put out, we will kindly request you not to contact Atlantic Airways to avoid the telephone lines being blocked for urgent information.

Vagar on the 10th October 2006

Magni Arge

President

Atlantic Airways Ltd.

condolences to the victims and their families.. an unfortunate accident..

Atlantic Airways are a small carrier that have been doing pretty well I believe... I recall this fom an article in AirlinerWorld a few years back... I wonder to what extent this will affect their future?

Apparently, now 4 people perished :o :

October 10, 2006

Four people died after a plane with 16 people on board burst into flames after landing at an airport in western Norway, police said on Tuesday.

"Four persons have been found dead in the plane," police officer Svein Roald Vikse said. "They have not been identified yet."

Police said the plane had problems during landing at 7:37 a.m. (0537 GMT) in Stord, an island south of Bergen on Norway's west coast, and caught fire after sliding off the runway.

Six of 12 passengers who were rescued were flown to a severe burns unit in Bergen, about 60 km away. The others were treated for lighter injuries in local hospitals.

The plane was chartered by oil services firm Aker Stord, part of offshore engineering group Aker Kvaerner.

The Atlantic Airways plane from Denmark's self-governing Faroe Islands in the North Sea was making a stopover between Norway's offshore oil capital of Stavanger and the town of Molde, further up the country's western coast, Aker Stord said.

Molde is the base for the huge Ormen Lange gas field, which will soon supply Britain with a fifth of its gas needs.

Witnesses speaking on public broadcaster NRK spoke of a loud boom, a fireball and billowing smoke. Pictures from the site on media web sites showed a column of smoke above burning debris.

(Reuters)

very very sad news indeed... The conditions look wet, possible aquaplaning, landed late, brakes malfunction etc etc etc... still, just abslutely terrible

This could be the same kind of accident happen to AF 343 at YYZ. The plane overshot the runway.

Can't imagine if this happen at Funchal Madeira, Portugal. Might be worst.

Guest Levent

Sad news indeed. Many airports in Norway have very short runways and therefore any problems during the landing (malfunctioning brakes etc.) could have catastrophic consequences. This plane literally fell off the edge, but luckily came to rest on a hillside instead of plunging down into the sea.

When I worked for Denim Air in Spain we had a Fokker 50 with a similar incident at Melilla. Luckily no one died.

What I don't understand is the discrepancy in reporting. First they say 13 out of 16 people survived, then suddenly they found a fourth person dead in the plane? Even the airline's press release doesn't have matching numbers. I think that's very bad from a PR point of view.

PS: My dad worked in Norway for a while with Aker Kvaerner and has flown on this airline's BAe 146's too.

IIRC, BAe-146s has no thrust reverser at all. I used to fly on Ansett New Zealand's BAe-146 and subsequently Qantas NZ's BAe-146 and I did not hear any thrust reverser upon landing and brakes must be the means of stopping the craft.

Guest Levent

Correct, the BAe 146 does not have thrust reversers, only air brakes in the tail (like the F70/F100), and normal brakes, of course.

The plane has STOL capabilities; I wonder whether it has an extra low landing speed as well?

Correct, the BAe 146 does not have thrust reversers, only air brakes in the tail (like the F70/F100), and normal brakes, of course.

The plane has STOL capabilities; I wonder whether it has an extra low landing speed as well?

have watched them land in PER on many occassions and must say that the landing speed is quite slow :) Gibby i'm sure will be able to tell you some landing speeds :)

Latest update from Flightglobal:

Spoilers not deployed in Atlantic Airways BAe 146 crash at Stord, Norway

Norwegian investigators have discovered that spoilers did not deploy on the British Aerospace 146-200 which overran the runway while attempting to land at Stord Airport on 10 October.

Four of the Atlantic Airways jet’s 16 occupants were killed when it careered off the slightly-damp runway and down steep terrain, before coming to rest and catching fire.

Wreckage analysis has also revealed evidence that the aircraft suffered ‘rubber reversal’ as it tried to stop – a phenomenon where heat generated by the tyre vaporises the surface moisture and reduces runway contact.

But while ‘rubber reversal’ causes deterioration of the tyre condition, there is no indication any of tyres punctured or deflated.

Flight RC670 had been arriving at Stord, in western Norway, after a domestic service from Stavanger. It touched down on runway 33 with a 6kt tailwind.

While there was nothing unusual about the airspeed, touchdown point, flap-setting, landing weight or air-brake, preliminary analysis shows that neither of the two independent spoiler systems deployed.

One system controls a single spoiler on each wing, the other controls a pair, giving six in all. These systems are normally activated by the crew on touchdown, but a spokesman for the Norwegian Accident Investigation Board says the inquiry has yet to determine the reason for the failure.

“The crew did not feel it was appropriate to make a go-around,” adds the spokesman. “But in a last attempt to stop the aircraft they tried to put it into a skid. It was actually skidding down the runway at one point.”

Investigators are to examine the aircraft’s maintenance record as part of the inquiry. Atlantic Airways is based in the Faroe Islands and the Faroese ministry of trade and industry says that the jet had undergone a C-check in Sweden and returned to the fleet two weeks before the accident.

Sign in to follow this