MalaysianWings - Malaysia's Premier Aviation Portal
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Levent

Latinos in Madrid

Guest Levent

Hi guys,

I was scanning and uploading some more pictures to my website yesterday, more specifically taken at Madrid's Barajas Airport, and thought I'd share some with you here.

Most were taken from the terminal, behind glass, so the quality is not that good...

MAD is a great airport to spot airlines from Latin America. Here are a few:

Aerolineas Argentinas 747-200 LV-MLR. Madrid is this airline's most important international destination. I flew them in 1988 from Amsterdam via Paris, Madrid and Rio de Janeiro to Buenos Aires, a hell of a trip!

IPB Image

AVENSA Venezuela DC-10 YV-69C. This baby was taken over by Santa Barbara Airlines.

IPB Image

Avianca Colombia 767-200 N421AV. Avianca has changed the livery since then.

IPB Image

AeroMexico 767-200 AA-JBC. I like the shiny livery.

IPB Image

And some others...

DHL Convair CV-580 EC-HJU, operated by Swiftair. This golden oldie is still going strong!

IPB Image

And last but not least, this Fokker 50 of Air Nostrum. Not taken at Madrid, but at Melilla, a tiny Spanish enclave in northern Morocco. Note the proximity of those power lines. Dedicated to Pieter!

IPB Image

Happy spotting!

Hey Levent,

Great Shots there..It's Annoying when u have to take Pics behind dark/tinted Glass..

Nice to see Aerolineas 742..Unfortunantelly i don't think Aerolineas Flies 742's anymore..

The F50 looks dirty and old , but elegant as always.. Air Nostrum livery does look like Iberia's, sister company? Those power lines are close arent they? Looks dangerous :blink:

Guest Levent

The F50 looks dirty and old , but elegant as always.. Air Nostrum livery does look like Iberia's, sister company?

This photo was taken not long before Air Nostrum phased out their Fokker 50's. Denim Air continued to fly them in Spain on behalf of Air Nostrum, and could operate on certain routes where Air Nostrum was very limited due to the characteristics of the Dash 8 or CRJ.

On the Madrid-Melilla route for example Denim's F50 was the only aircraft that could operate with max payload and fully fueled (Melilla had no fuel back then...)

The livery resembles Iberia's because ANS flies under a franchise for them as Iberia Regional. They operate feeder services into Madrid and Barcelona, as well as point-to-point flights on other domestic routes in Spain, and international flights. Iberia does not have a stake in Air Nostrum, but pays part of their operational costs. The airlines are not comparable either; Air Nostrum's service is much, much better than Iberia's.

Very detailed explanation Levent.. thanks alot... Love those pixies.. keep em uploaded.. its not that we here in Malaysia get to see those .. :D

Didn't know Iberias service was that bad.. <_>

Guest Fendy

nice captures, something different =)

thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

Guest Levent

Didn't know Iberias service was that bad..

Yep, it is. I don't know about long-haul flights, but on European flights Iberia's service is like an LCC's. You have to pay for food and drinks. Or maybe I should say, like most LCC's, as Air Berlin offers a full service!

Then again, Iberia does have some very low fares to fly in Europe, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much...

Air Nostrum however operates what they call a regional business class, and they're not kidding. On flights longer than one hour you get a complete meal with appetizer, dessert and so on. On shorter flights you always get a yummy snack and a drink too. And newspapers. When I was working for Denim Air in Spain, I used to fly a lot on Air Nostrum and I especially loved the long Fokker 50 flights from Barcelona to Turin or to Almeria. That meant 1.5 hours of delicious haute cuisine!

I'm glad you enjoyed the Madrid pics, I will have a look at my collection and see if I can make a series of another airport.

And last but not least, this Fokker 50 of Air Nostrum. Not taken at Madrid, but at Melilla, a tiny Spanish enclave in northern Morocco. Note the proximity of those power lines. Dedicated to Pieter!

IPB Image

Thanks for the dedication :good:

On the Madrid-Melilla route for example Denim's F50 was the only aircraft that could operate with max payload and fully fueled (Melilla had no fuel back then...)

Fokker F50 is the way to go :lol:

Sign in to follow this